Speculation: Hawks Skater Logjam

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
right now they have 21 spots for skaters and multiple players pushing at the door. Assuming Perlini signs, these are the locks:
Forwards:
Toews, Kane, DeBrincat, Strome, Saad, Shaw, Caggiula, Carpenter(8)

Bubble players:
Dach, Kurashev, Perlini, Kubalik, Nylander, Smith, Kampf, Aleksi Saarela, Sikura

Players who aren't waiver exempt: Perlini, Smith, (Kampf???)

D:
Locks: Keith, Gustafsson, Murphy, de Haan, Maatta, Seabrook (6)

Bubble: Boqvist, Gilbert, Dahlstrom, Koekkoek, Krys

Players who aren't waiver exempt: Koekkoek, Dahlstrom.

What do they do with these spots? I put Smith on the bubble because he's already cleared waivers once.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Absolutely IMO.

The guys who he is competing with don’t really bring the same type of game as he does. The main competition is the round out the top 9. I think the 4th is actually pretty set with Smith, Carpenter, and Kampf.
Kampf might be the odd man out. Don't forget about Caggiula.

Does anyone else think it is likely that Dahlstrom and Koekkoek get waived? I don't think that either are that much of a loss if claimed.

These are the battles:
T6 Wingers: Nylander, Kubalik, Perlini, Aleksi Saarela

3C: Shaw, Caggiula, Smith, Kampf, Dach, Kurashev

7th D: Koekkoek, Dahlstrom, Gilbert

Complete bubble: Sikura

Wild Card: Boqvist

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Does anyone else think it is likely that Dahlstrom and Koekkoek get waived? I don't think that either are that much of a loss if claimed.

These are the battles:

I think Caggiula is a passenger on the first line with Toews and Kane.

I think Perlini is the odd man out and if they really wanted him locked up that badly he’d have been signed by now.

The last spot IMO is a battle between Nylander and Kubalik for a shot on the second line with Cat and Strome.

This is all with the assumption that Dach at least gets a 9 game trial and is on a 3rd line with Shaw and Saad.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Not completely sure. He's on a 2 way deal and Smith has a 3.2M caphit. It depends on if they want to carry all three of Nylander, Perlini and Kubalik.

You know there are 14 forward spots open for the team right? They won’t play all of the games. They will rotate.

Perlini will be a one of the guys who is going to rotate a lot at this point. He is far away from the lock. Imo further than Nylander or even Dach.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I don't think it's much of a logjam at all. Let those guys fight for the 3-4 spots available and may the best man win. Also, of your list of "bubble players", i'm really only intrigued by Dach, Kubalik, and Kurashev. The rest of them have done absolutely nothing to warrant worrying about them getting a roster spot.

Let training camp unfold and go from there.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

These are the battles:

Yeah, if Kampf doesn't show a nose for the net he could very well be the odd man out. This team does not need another Kruger.

Reactions: clydesdale line

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah, if Kampf doesn't show a nose for the net he could very well be the odd man out. This team does not need another Kruger.

This team absolutely needs a prime Kruger. They can easily run 3 lines that can score with two of those at an elite level.

If they can have a dominant 4th line and elite PKer in Kampf at the expense of little offense from him, that’s huge.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
the following 11 forwards are a lock for this team IMO

Toews
Kane
Shaw
Cat
Strome
Saad
Cagguila
Kampf
Kubalik
Smith
Carpenter

that leaves three spots for the likes of Nylander, Perlini (if signed), Dach, Kurashev, Highmore, Saarela, Sikura and to be honest I really do think Nylander will be with that group above so it all likely boils down to two open roster spots IMO

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
These are the certains ...

Toews, Kane, Cat, Strome, Shaw, Saad, Keith, Murphy, Seabrook (because of contract), Gus, and Lehner.

Everyone else is a question mark due to lack of experience/past performance/injuries. de Haan, Crow, and Maatta have health issues.

This is how it should be for a team that missed 2 straight playoffs.

I realize other players can't be sent down without being waived ... but it doesn't mean they'll get a lot of ice time. There's a lot of playing ice time to be earned.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Colliton thinks very, very highly of Kampf. If it were up to him, he'd be on the 3rd line. He's as close to a lock as it gets IMO.
Ok, then. That settles it:
92-19-88
12-17-8
20-64-65
91-15-22

I'm with those that think that Nylander is as close to a lock as you can be without actually being a lock. He'd have to really stink up the joint in camp in order to end up in Rockford.

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ok, then. That settles it:
92-19-88
12-17-8
20-64-65
91-15-22

I said IF it were up to him cause he believes in his offensive ability. He will still likely be on the 4th line. I still believe Dach will make this team as the 3C (at the very worst, get his 9 games).

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I said IF it were up to him cause he believes in his offensive ability. He will still likely be on the 4th line. I still believe Dach will make this team as the 3C (at the very worst, get his 9 games).
They kinda have to trade Perlini then. I still think they could get at least a 2nd if not a 2nd and 3rd for Perlini. He's not that much worse than Burakovsky.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Kruger was arguably the most important depth piece in 2015. He shut down some premier lines that year.

agreed Kruger was a very valuable piece to the hawks success.

IMO Kampf can be groomed to be used in a similar way however JC seems to think that Kampf can also be utilized in a more offensive role. Time will tell and remember Kampf may be nothing but a stop gap at 4C until Barratt/Wise are ready as the top 3 C's moving forward Toews, Strome and Dach push them to 4c.

this also means one of Barratt/Wise and Kurashev likely play in the NHL as wingers and IMO Kurashev would be better utilized as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00