Confirmed with Link: Hawks Sign Center Matt Carey

Hankerchief*

Did the Hawks put Kane on LTIR because according to capgeek, no cap space.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica

St. Lawrence
The Saints (6-9-4, 12-15-4) are coming off Friday’s 4-0 win at RPI. The line of center Matt Carey, left winger Greg Carey and right winger Chris Martin combined for two goals and five assists. The Dutchmen will have to keep an eye on them.

Goalie Matt Weninger made 22 saves in the game.

One player to keep an eye on is freshman defenseman Gavin Bayreuther. He has seven goals and 23 assists this season, and is one of the top candidates for ECACH Rookie of the Year.

The Saints have been an odd team this season. They have struggled at home, going 4-9-1 at Appleton Arena. But they have been road warriors, posting an 8-6-3 record. They have won their last three road games.

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/schott/2014/feb/22/union-st-lawrence-pregame-report/?print

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
ChrisBlock ‏@ChrisBlock now
Book on #Blackhawks signing Matt Carey, 22 - he's playmaking center, strong on faceoffs at collegiate level & on Dean's list at St. Lawrence

This one caught me off guard:

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 2m
#Blackhawks sign free-agent forward Matt Carey out of St. Lawrence University to a two-year deal. He'll wear No. 25.

Where is he wearing 25?

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
Matt Carey ‏@MCares16
Also I want to thank the @NHLBlackhawks for all their hard work on recruiting me and I can't be more excited to suit up in a Hawks uniform

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It said he was reporting to the Blackhawks in the ESPN report.

Might be a situation like Leblanc last year. Not sure what it means regarding the Cap.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Matt is grittier, more blue-collar than Greg. He likes to instigate contact, even when he has the puck, which is unusual for a skill player.

Never expected he'd start in the NHL before his brother, though.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Highlights of Matt's hattrick against Dartmouth a couple weeks ago:

Was going to post in the Prospect thread that the Hawks were very interested in signing him. Didn't think it'd happen because most of the Hawk's moves come out of left field.

Apparently he'll report to Chicago, but I don't know that he'll play. Won't rule it out, but the Hawks aren't cruising at the top of the standings like they were last year with LeBlanc.

Should also point out that Carey is not eligible for the playoffs - just in case anyone was wondering. Chicago had to submit a reserve list of players prior to the TD (I believe), and obviously Matt wouldn't have been on that list as he wasn't Hawks property.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad