Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Andreas Athanasiou and Max Domi

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'm going to laugh(and probably cry) when the Hawks sign a bunch of guys to one year prove it deals, or trade for guys trying to rekindle their careers, they overachieve, and this team f***s itself out of a top 5 pick.... After trading DeBrincat. Lol
You can trade them before the deadline if they're so good.

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014
I'm going to laugh(and probably cry) when the Hawks sign a bunch of guys to one year prove it deals, or trade for guys trying to rekindle their careers, they overachieve, and this team f***s itself out of a top 5 pick.... After trading DeBrincat. Lol
Expansion Vegas-style season. Cat and Strome are gonna be the NHL equivalent of the ol' Bill Simmons "Ewing Theory".

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I wonder who is going to be playing center this year? Whens the last time Domi played center?

They now have Domi, Anthanasiou, Kurashev, Reichel, Lafferty, Hardman that all play on the leftside.
kurashev can play C

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
1 year deals so no risk and potential rewards with flipping them at the deadline, especially Domi...

neither one of them are worth 3 mill IMO especially AA, the guy has Speed, I suppose his 54 point 30 goal season years ago with the wings keeps teams thinking that was anything but a one time thing...

who knows, maybe he pots 20 with Domi and Kane on a line...

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
3mil for speed and a shot, can't play defense, and is pretty inconsistent offensively. At least Domi has pretty high upside offensively.

Since 2015-16, Athanasiou is 19th in the NHL in goals/60 at even strength.
His defense was much better in LA than it was in Detroit.
His crucial weakness is he's not a good cycler, and doesn't seal off walls or skate through guys on a forecheck

3mil for speed and a shot, can't play defense, and is pretty inconsistent offensively. At least Domi has pretty high upside offensively.

Since 2015-16, Athanasiou is 19th in the NHL in goals/60 at even strength.
His defense was much better in LA than it was in Detroit.
His crucial weakness is he's not a good cycler, and doesn't seal off walls or skate through guys on a forecheck

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
These are solid signings. I like the identity that we’re trying to build, and also like the understanding that the team must be bad/accumulate as many top picks and prospects as possible in order to eventually succeed. For the last few years under SB we were retooling on the fly while clinging to this notion that we were still within playoff contention. Finally an official, no BS rebuild. Obtaining Bedard = #1 priority moving forward.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Like the Bulls traded Mirotic too late when he won them games and f***ed their "tank"?
Idk who that is, but like last year... when the Habs traded Toffoli to help their tank a month+ before the deadline. You can even do it sooner, like in December if you want to trade so much.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Idk who that is, but like last year... when the Habs traded Toffoli to help their tank a month+ before the deadline. You can even do it sooner, like in December if you want to trade so much.
it may be even too late in December to get that last place finish... if they start better than expected and Domi can play with Kane and whoever they might f*** up the tank in just 1-2 month(s). Like finishing 27/28th in the league instead of last place.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
it may be even too late in December to get that last place finish... if they start better than expected and Domi can play with Kane and whoever they might f*** up the tank in just 1-2 month(s). Like finishing 27/28th in the league instead of last place.
That's hyper unrealistic.. I was for okay trading Cat then the shocker of Dach because of this factor. The team couldn't count on the, oh well Fleury carried them last year, because of the coach change and some younger talent and d likely improving.

These pieces so far are not overwhelming at all to improve the team. All projections are still in line with terribleness. It would take many parts working together to not be bad. That's why they don't grab a patches or a goalie who is an unknown. They got known flawed players and flawed goalies.

Reactions: AzHawk

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
That's hyper unrealistic.. I was for okay trading Cat then the shocker of Dach because of this factor. The team couldn't count on the, oh well Fleury carried them last year, because of the coach change and some younger talent and d likely improving.

These pieces so far are not overwhelming at all to improve the team. All projections are still in line with terribleness. It would take many parts working together to not be bad. That's why they don't grab a patches or a goalie who is an unknown. They got known flawed players and flawed goalies.
We will be bad, the question will be if there are teams worse than us. I have to say finishing last will help the lottery chances, improves every pick in each round and the worst would be #4 if we have no lottery luck. Finish 4th last and you might end up with #7 in the worst case IIRC

this team needs to be as bad as possible while being hard to play against and having some fun to watch them because of the playstyle. Not easy to get to this point.
Trade McCabe and Murphy for example.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Everyone thought Vegas was a bottom 5 team when they finished their expansion draft. Never underestimate the power of hockey players with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. It's half the f***ing game, actually.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Everyone thought Vegas was a bottom 5 team when they finished their expansion draft. Never underestimate the power of hockey players with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. It's half the f***ing game, actually.
Vegas was deep and they never managed to get THAT star player joining them. They were handed lots and lots of good players for every role.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I personally like what we signed----AA top end speed, Domi can put it in the net and might actually excel playing again playing with Kane----Blackwell seems like a good, strong effort, underrated add.......do we think they are done yet with the forwards?

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
I am really surprise that Davison signed anybody of note. I thought he would sign the who's who of who to round out the roster and tank HARD.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Reichel-Toews-Kane
Domi-Kurashev-Raddysh
Anthansiou-Lafferty-Johnson
Hardman-Entwistle-Katchouk
Johnson

Thats how you tank
It's also how you:

puppet-vomit.gif

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Vegas was also getting Vezina caliber goaltending from MAF their first year. Personally if you’re trying to tank, I think Davidson did it right. Sign a bunch of hard working, fast players to help change the culture and instill the system you want to bring your kids in to but then bring in two shit goalies. The team should work hard enough to be in games and be competitive but the goaltending/defense is not going to let them string wins together.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Just pointing out Domi didn't really land shit back for Columbus when they traded him to Carolina. I know the contract is a bit different to this but still not seeing Domi or AA get us much better than 3rd round picks or mid level prospects back. I hope maybe a 2nd rounder can be had for one of them but they really need to tear it up for us to get that.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Just pointing out Domi didn't really land shit back for Columbus when they traded him to Carolina. I know the contract is a bit different to this but still not seeing Domi or AA get us much better than 3rd round picks or mid level prospects back. I hope maybe a 2nd rounder can be had for one of them but they really need to tear it up for us to get that.
A pair of 3rd rounders will do…no prob here with that
Carpenter nabbed us a 5th, he played 8 games for the Flames, another good trade by Davidson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad