Confirmed with Link: Hawks Re-Up LeBlanc; Sign D's Peckham, Kostka

Hawkster

It's on.
Aug 2, 2005
It's just a couple of experienced pro's for Rockford.

Last year it was Brett Lebda and then a waived Steve Montador. This year it's this pair.

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
I want to say this is a good sign and that Bowman will be giving tryouts to guys like Clendening, Stanton, Olsen on the NHL roster, but who would they play in place of? Unless there's an injury, there's not really a candidate for healthy scratch on the D.

Undoubtedly Kostka and Peckham will at least start the year in the AHL. Injury insurance, and like I said before possibly there for stability when some youngsters get called up.

I'm just hoping a trade isn't brewing.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah, neither of these guys will be playing on the Hawks. Like the added depth and toughness for Rockford.

Kostka especially should fit right in.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Peckham came in last season over weight, he said the lockout came at a bad time (Christmas break) and he wasn't in shape. The small amount of games he did play this last year I thought he was actually pretty good.

I know there's still an NHL dman there, he can be a good #6/7. He'll go with anyone, just needs to remain focused and committed. Nice depth signing by the Hawks.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Byfuglien-esque?

He was a bit more overweight than he was the season before... the Oilers asked him to focus that summer and come into camp in really good shape, he showed up with a higher body fat % and weighed more than ever before. Here's what he said :

“I was 245 pounds coming into camp last year and my VO2 score (recovery from exhaustion) was as good as before,” said Peckham. “I know people were saying things like I was 270 pounds.”

"It’s definitely tough. When I came into camp, I didn’t think I was that out of shape," he said. "I was 245 (pounds) and my bike testing was the same as last year — some numbers were actually better — so was really confused in that sense, but that was the hole I dug. I guess they decided to move on without me.

Honestly I think they were a little harsh on him, in the games he did play I thought he looked really good, like begging for more ice time. But the team obviously didn't agree...

The only reason the team traded for Fistric was because Peckham wasn't ready when camp started so in the teams eyes Peckham cost them 2x the salary and a 3rd round pick + two roster spots all season, I don't think they were going to be easily convinced to give him more opportunity regardless of how well he played. I think he could play on your bottom pairing though forsure, I don't see it as a Rockford only move IMO.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
If and most probably Peckham and Kostka are slotted for Rockford, then solid signings. Rockfords d was one of the worst and Im sure the Hawks brass dont want to hang Raanta completely out to dry behind a non-existant d in his first year here.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Couple of guys who can come in and play on the third pairing in a pinch if some injuries take place. Not bad.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The only player that the Hawks might move is Oduya, and if they do, it'll be because Clendening shows he's more than ready for an NHL role next year. Outside of that, no one's being moved to make room for Kostka or Peckham.

I mean, I still think Brookbank will be moved, but that'd be the 7th D spot anyways.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Yeah I can see Brookbank being moved. He's a luxury at this point and can get more playing time for other teams. But I'd have no problem with it if he stayed.

And I'd be pissed if Odoodoo was traded. Hammer/Oduya are one of the better 2nd pairings in the league. But I really don't think there's a chance that he will at this point.

nullterm

Dec 8, 2007
Port Moody, BC
Glad to see Peckham get another shot. If he keeps serious about his career he could be a decent 5/6/7 guy. Was hoping he'd have a second shot with the Oil but wasn't in the cards. He was already on thin ice with conditioning and when he showed up after lockout too heavy it was pretty much game over in Edmonton.

Good for physical play and always willing to drop the gloves for the team.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Yeah, I could see Brookbank being moved, and also it's not like having 3 Dmen injured during the same time frame in unheard of. Insurance is a very good thing to have.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
None of these guys (Kostka & Peckham) should see NHL ice this upcoming year, unless it's dire on the injury front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad