GDT: Hawks @ Preds (7PM CT): 2010 Game 5 Never Happened...

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Fishers shot hit Crawford directly in the cheast and he froze the puck, hardly a chance and Clunes had little chance of making it past Crawford. Chances are subjective, and in my opinion Spalings was the only one that had a good chance to be a goal.

You probably need to get your BCGs redone if you saw just one chance in the first.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
I think Hannan is afraid he's gonna break the puck or something. His passes are so soft. Whereas Oduya absolutely ripped a pass to his teammate even though he was only 20 feet away.

Neutral zone play is awful in every way. We just let them walk in

Hannan must have caught a Klein up in Minnesota. Symptoms include soft, feathery passes, turnovers, and wildly inconsistent play.

We'll know for sure if he shows up with a mohawk on Tuesday.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
No, I don't. Ask LA how what all those shots on goal did for them.

You get scoring chances by consistent zone time, pressure, and creating plays. None of those are necessarily related to shots on goal.

Do I want more shots on goal? Of course. But like I said, they aren't everything. Scoring chances are way more important, especially for a team like us.

If you don't believe that more shots would result in more scoring chances, then you're saying that the Preds are getting the most possible production out of their talent right now.

I would tend to agree with your view if we were talking about a team that was consistently putting up 25 shots a night and people were complaining that they weren't putting up 40. But when your team is only generating 2-3 shots a period, you have to have a VERY rosey view of the game to continue defending the scoring chances vs total shots side.

And as I said earlier, no team can rely on only capitalizing on high quality chances, it's not sustainable over a full season (or half season in this case) and it's certainly not a recipe for a championship level team. The team needs to generate more shots on the net, they need the lucky bounce and the garbage goal here and there. You don't get those without shots.

And because that strategy is no sustainable, you see the extreme highs and lows that you get with the Predators. They can look really good when they hit the right goalie or get a little lucky and the odds are in their favor. They can also go into long funks where they're lucky to score one goal a night. It's never going to result in long win streaks, and certainly not going to win 16 games in the playoffs.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
We had a decent first period, and an abysmal 17-18 minutes of the second.

At least we've won a couple of faceoffs so far .... that's all the positive I can see right now. We can't clear, can't keep control in the offensive zone, can't pass, no net presence, keep turning the puck over, and have stopped taking away any space and time in the defensive zone.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
We had a decent first period, and an abysmal 17-18 minutes of the second.

At least we've won a couple of faceoffs so far .... that's all the positive I can see right now. We can't clear, can't keep control in the offensive zone, can't pass, no net presence, keep turning the puck over, and have stopped taking away any space and time in the defensive zone.

Looks like it was a deflating loss on the road last night, and then into a 2-0 hole in this one. I think it would be a completely different tone if the Preds had managed to score first in this one. But at this point, I don't see a comeback in the cards, maybe from last year's team, but not this season.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
For once I will agree with Crispy completely ... we need to get the puck on net when we get chances. Too many times we get a decent look from a quality area of the ice only to pull it wide, lift it high, or pass the puck.

Legwand's chance is all too typical of our performance this season ... even with a net presence, no sticks on the ice and no awareness of where the puck is.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
For once I will agree with Crispy completely ... we need to get the puck on net when we get chances. Too many times we get a decent look from a quality area of the ice only to pull it wide, lift it high, or pass the puck.

Legwand's chance is all too typical of our performance this season ... even with a net presence, no sticks on the ice and no awareness of where the puck is.

During the winning streak -- despite being outshot -- we got the puck TO the net a decent number of times.

The other thing is positioning. Get open. Get to an area of the ice where you can shoot (i.e. the slot).

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If you don't believe that more shots would result in more scoring chances, then you're saying that the Preds are getting the most possible production out of their talent right now.

I would tend to agree with your view if we were talking about a team that was consistently putting up 25 shots a night and people were complaining that they weren't putting up 40. But when your team is only generating 2-3 shots a period, you have to have a VERY rosey view of the game to continue defending the scoring chances vs total shots side.

And as I said earlier, no team can rely on only capitalizing on high quality chances, it's not sustainable over a full season (or half season in this case) and it's certainly not a recipe for a championship level team. The team needs to generate more shots on the net, they need the lucky bounce and the garbage goal here and there. You don't get those without shots.

And because that strategy is no sustainable, you see the extreme highs and lows that you get with the Predators. They can look really good when they hit the right goalie or get a little lucky and the odds are in their favor. They can also go into long funks where they're lucky to score one goal a night. It's never going to result in long win streaks, and certainly not going to win 16 games in the playoffs.

I feel like I'm in a chicken vs egg argument.

To me, a scoring chance comes first, then a shot on goal will result from that chance. Our problem right now is that when we are getting chances we are missing the net. The scoring chances are still there though. The shot did not create the chance.

You gotta remember that when you shoot the puck, you are giving up possession. And if you shoot the puck prematurely without a quality chance, it's basically the same as a turnover. Sure, once in a while that shot might sneak past, but for a team whose weakness is possession, giving up the puck without a good chance of it creating something is a waste.

We need more scoring chances, and when we get those chances, we need to hit the net.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
QUIT ****ING PASSING THE PUCK INTO YOUR TEAMMATE'S SKATES.

Jesus...if that hadn't been offsides, it would've been a golden chance.

And there goes Rinne with a Crawfordesque goal.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I feel like I'm in a chicken vs egg argument.

To me, a scoring chance comes first, then a shot on goal will result from that chance. Our problem right now is that when we are getting chances we are missing the net. The scoring chances are still there though. The shot did not create the chance.

You gotta remember that when you shoot the puck, you are giving up possession. And if you shoot the puck prematurely without a quality chance, it's basically the same as a turnover. Sure, once in a while that shot might sneak past, but for a team whose weakness is possession, giving up the puck without a good chance of it creating something is a waste.

We need more scoring chances, and when we get those chances, we need to hit the net.

There is so much more than that, it can bounce around and deflect in, it can set up a rebound chance, it can be frozen and give an offensive zone faceoff or yes it can be turned over and the other team has to go the length of the ice.

What we've got now is pass, pass, turnover, stickhandle, pass, turnover, fall down, turnover.

I get what you're saying in theory, but you've even admitted that they're not producing enough chances and shots. So there is a problem no matter which angle you want to approach the Preds offense.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
I'm trying to figure out if this game is worse than @ Phoenix and @ St Louis. I'm leaning towards yes, since this is a home game.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Since we're going to lose anyways, I'd love to see someone dump Patrick Kane. Like dump him right into Joel Quinnville.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
There is so much more than that, it can bounce around and deflect in, it can set up a rebound chance, it can be frozen and give an offensive zone faceoff or yes it can be turned over and the other team has to go the length of the ice.

What we've got now is pass, pass, turnover, stickhandle, pass, turnover, fall down, turnover.

I get what you're saying in theory, but you've even admitted that they're not producing enough chances and shots. So there is a problem no matter which angle you want to approach the Preds offense.

Fully agree that Nashville's offense is severely broken. Never said it wasn't. My original statement was that we had a pretty good first period, despite having only 3 shots. Others disagreed simply because of the shot total. I am saying shots aren't always everything. They are usually a sign of doing the right things, but that wasn't true during the first.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Legwand had no idea where the puck was?standing in front of the net, **** came right to him and he didn't move? What's going on!
Tough game for the Preds. Don't think the Hawks are playing well, but Preds making them look good

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I'm trying to figure out if this game is worse than @ Phoenix and @ St Louis. I'm leaning towards yes, since this is a home game.

Not for me. Chicago is just simply a much much better team than us.

Phoenix game stung way more for me. Cannot understand why we have so much trouble against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad