GDT: Hawks @ Philly 6pm Nbc sports Chicago 3/30/24 (month of torture over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sure looks like it tonight...

His shtick works for shorter and shorter periods of time, every coaching gig he has. Young players don't respond to him at all. Philly is over him.

Flyers look like a team that has quit on its coach

The healthy scratching of Couturier (For back-to-back games) weeks after naming him captain and questioning his work ethic likely lost Torts the last of his support in lockerroom

I would imagine Briere isn't blind and see's this

Hiring him was mistake of previous management. Briere should be looking to move on

Reactions: Pez68 and Muffinalt

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I watched his post game presser. Not enraged at all.
Thinks they are tired.
Giving them Sunday as stay away from the rink day.
Monday is meetings only but won’t show any video of this. “Wants them to put it behind them.
Kinder, gentler Torts might have arrived a little late. Looks like he's lost the room.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Flyers overachieve all season long.... they lose one game to Hawks and suddenly Torts has lost the room. LOL

The armchair coach experts strike again.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm not sure if he has lost the room, but his team has lost more than the Hawks in the month of March, and they haven't been good since he decided it would be a good idea to healthy scratch the captain.

Their own fans think the team has quit on him, so it isn't just the people on here thinking that. It was a dumb hire, and he will always be a dumb hire.

Reactions: Pez68

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
They arnt good. Torts had them overachieving now they are playing to their talent. Hes done a hell of a job this year. Its going to be interesting the next few season with him tho.

Reactions: CanadianHawks

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
They arnt good. Torts had them overachieving now they are playing to their talent. Hes done a hell of a job this year. Its going to be interesting the next few season with him tho.
Or people underestimated their talent. I don't think they are much different than the Wings, Caps, Islanders, Penguins, Sabres. They have a lot of good players on their team, they aren't a bottom dweller, and aren't a real playoff team. They are pretty much where they should be.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Or people underestimated their talent. I don't think they are much different than the Wings, Caps, Islanders, Penguins, Sabres. They have a lot of good players on their team, they aren't a bottom dweller, and aren't a real playoff team. They are pretty much where they should be.
Every team besides San Jose has good players on their team.

I think the talent is closer to where they ended up last year than to this year. Torts had them overachieving early but they are coming back down to earth.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Torts gets a lot out of guys that normally wouldn't be consistent effort guys. But then certain guys who would be good players tune him out and become less useful.

Reactions: Giovi

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Torts gets a lot out of guys that normally wouldn't be consistent effort guys. But then certain guys who would be good players tune him out and become less useful.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. That's Torts in a nutshell. Give him a full team of grinding plugs, and they might overachieve. Coaching talented guys, who aren't grinders? Nah.

Reactions: Giovi and TLEH

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Torts is a rebuilding coach or a guy you try on an underachieving team for a year or two. He's not Babcock outdated but man does he not mesh with today's NHLers. However old school you may feel about that, it doesn't change it.

Reactions: Giovi

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Torts is a rebuilding coach or a guy you try on an underachieving team for a year or two. He's not Babcock outdated but man does he not mesh with today's NHLers. However old school you may feel about that, it doesn't change it.

Torts is not a guy you want around a rebuild and young talent. Look at his handling of several young players like Frost and Brink

Also, when it comes to Torts

Much of this roster is what he wanted. He has gotten his way (Hayes traded, etc) more often than not so blaming roster or GM is really poor excuse

Oh, and Flyer fans misery may not end even if he is no longer Flyers coach after this season

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Torts is not a guy you want around a rebuild and young talent. Look at his handling of several young players like Frost and Brink

Also, when it comes to Torts

Much of this roster is what he wanted. He has gotten his way (Hayes traded, etc) more often than not so blaming roster or GM is really poor excuse

Oh, and Flyer fans misery may not end even if he is no longer Flyers coach after this season

Hayes was a problem in Philly. And I'm not blaming Briere.

The Flyers fans misery won't end until they move on from their dinosaur senior leadership is expunged. They've got a couple Bob Pulford problems.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The Flyers shouldn't even be in the playoff picture especially after losing Hart. Disagree with Torts methods all you want but he definitely gets short term results.

Can definitely make the argument that he's strip mining for a quick profit but he definitely gets teams to over perform for a stretch.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
The Flyers shouldn't even be in the playoff picture especially after losing Hart. Disagree with Torts methods all you want but he definitely gets short term results.

Can definitely make the argument that he's strip mining for a quick profit but he definitely gets teams to over perform for a stretch.
Plenty of NHLers getting by on talent and not working. Work or you don’t play can work for some guys. I personally didn’t mind coaches that pushed the limits, I enjoyed that for free. In my experience most of the coaches I had that would give it to you, could also take it right back.

But most of that was private. I don’t enjoy calling out guys publicly. Obviously I didn’t deal with that lol.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Disagree. Their talent level isn't far off from Islanders, Sabres, Caps. Maybe slightly over performed, doesn't necessarily mean that's because of the coach though.

Division is also weaker this year

Reactions: Pez68
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad