Post-Game Talk: Hawks manhandle Stars, 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomersWorld*

Chicago fans at work....Raanta>>>Crawford...look at this 4 game sample for proof

RomersWorld*

as well as Emery has, who played in same team at same time and had exactly same numbers.It proves nothing regarding to this season or for CC-Raanta comparison.
I agree that sample size is small for Raanta, but Crawford's sample size is big enough to find out his actual league rank.

Ray Emery(playoffs): 36GP, .903 SV%

Corey Crawford(playoffs): 37GP, .924 SV%

Just plug in Emery and we would still win the Cup! Ummm, no. You can't be serious with these awful arguments.

Emery regular season(10-11): .926 SV%
Emery in playoffs(10-11): .897 SV%

Surely he would have had a .932 SV% just like Crawford did. :laugh:

Some people...ugh.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Personally and with the small sample size I believe that Raanta is better than Crawford right now. Crawford might be more skilled and experienced but he is fragile mentally for whatever reason. So overall Raanta needs some work but he is much more calm and collected and the teams feeds off of that and plays better hockey in front of him.

Wiesellike

Feb 15, 2007
Oulu
2. Accomplishments - Crawford has a Stanley Cup, a Jennings and should have won the Conn Smythe last year.

Raanta is a Finnish champion and a playoff MVP. What is this Stanley Cup you talk about?

Come on guys. The comparisons are useless. Raanta has played well for a backup. He's still learning the North American game and will be better all the time. Crawford is a clear starter and Raanta will not take that spot regardless how well he plays. I'm just glad we have this kind of backup because with Khabibulin we would be screwed.

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Has always had the raw talent, now Antti just needs to get properly adjusted to the game in the NHL just like he did in SM-liiga in Ässät.
Originally Posted by Deliverance
Damn, just came here to check how Raanta has been playing and whats the thing I see in the GDT? A filthy Ässät -logo! He has played 2 years there and 15+ years in Lukko.

Now i had to stop my lurking to right this wrong and point out your blasphemy, hes a native of Rauma afterall.
Yeah no problem, Ässät and Lukko are huge rival teams here in Finland as the towns are only 30 miles apart from each other. Any awareness that i can create of Raanta not being a original Ässät-player is a positive thing...
Well, people just look more at and talk more about the excellent stats and accomplishment in a men's league rather than the good stuff they've done in junior leagues and ok stats in a men's league before his break out.

And it's not like it's hard to find out that he is from Rauma and Lukko if one wants to have a quick look at Antti and his past.

Ps. Thanks again for your team's important part in making him the goaltender he was for Ässät and is today. :)

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
...who complains about Shaw?

There were more than a couple of people during last year's playoffs. Some were saying they'd prefer that he get benched.

I was one of the people saying you need a guy like Shaw on your team and you take the occasional bad with the overall good.

'Course everyone loved him when he went hero at the end.

People have complained about Shaw and the way he plays... just not recently.

Nothingman*

One thing I like about Raanta is that he is very upright when in the butterfly and his glove is excellent. Yes, he loses the net a little but last night he was much better than that. The snow angel was humorous but that was a mad scramble and ended up OK. Judging players on four games….especially goalies…..is not a good thing to get into. He has shown quality in another league and lets see what he has here for three weeks. Because Q is going to ride him until Crawford comes back. And if he proves himself it means he will get more playing time and Craw won't get over worked/injured again hopefully. It is a win/win.

Last edited by a moderator:

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
1. Sample size - Raanta has played 5 games in the NHL. Two sub-par games and those stats go to ****.

2. Accomplishments - Crawford has a Stanley Cup, a Jennings and should have won the Conn Smythe last year.
Ray Emery(playoffs): 36GP, .903 SV%

Corey Crawford(playoffs): 37GP, .924 SV%

Just plug in Emery and we would still win the Cup! Ummm, no. You can't be serious with these awful arguments.

Emery regular season(10-11): .926 SV%
Emery in playoffs(10-11): .897 SV%

Surely he would have had a .932 SV% just like Crawford did. :laugh:

Some people...ugh.

If I consider something as awful, it's comparing two goalies playing in different teams, playing behind different defense and playing those playoffs series against different teams.

So again (Emery didn't have chance play in playoffs last season, but I guess we are talking about regular season now in December so or so)
2012-2013 - same team, same great team defense :

GA1PCDf.jpg

Of course, I don't think Emery is better goalie as CC, just saying Corey's stats last season were IMO achievable for any average goalie playing for 12/13 Blackhawks.Secondly, Crawford's last season stats won't help Hawks this season in any way, so it's pointless use them for comparing actual CC with Raanta.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Personally and with the small sample size I believe that Raanta is better than Crawford right now. Crawford might be more skilled and experienced but he is fragile mentally for whatever reason. So overall Raanta needs some work but he is much more calm and collected and the teams feeds off of that and plays better hockey in front of him.

I've heard it all now! Crawford is "fragile mentally"

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
It's just typical vague (and in this case, flat-out wrong) garbage that fans spew when they don't like a player but can't put forth a substantive argument as to why.

Goalies have up and down years for whatever reason. Its clear the defense and crawford can play better than they have so far this season, but are people really freaking out over the first 30 games of the season after they won a cup and they have top points in the league?

The PK is my only worry on this team. It needs to be better.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
One thing I've noticed about Raanta is that he seems to take a shot off his head every game.

I still love that soccer move he made the other night (I think his first start) where he used his head like a soccer player to hit the puck to the right corner. :laugh:

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It's just typical vague (and in this case, flat-out wrong) garbage that fans spew when they don't like a player but can't put forth a substantive argument as to why.

I watch every single Hawks game, I dont "hate" any player on the team. If I notice a weakness that a player has, I tend to hold my judgment until I see a trend and in the past 11 games Crawford has had a pathetic GAA, S% and is at the bottom of the league compared to other goalies. look at one of my previous posts where I break down the stats. People that love him blindly are going to argue that the team in front of him has not been that great, well I tend to disagree, the team has played fine, he is the one that has wet the bed and Raanta is about to prove that with 5 or 6 more games under his belt when he has a 0.935 and 1.95 GAA.

Gurth

Feb 22, 2010
Madison
I watch every single Hawks game, I dont "hate" any player on the team. If I notice a weakness that a player has, I tend to hold my judgment until I see a trend and in the past 11 games Crawford has had a pathetic GAA, S% and is at the bottom of the league compared to other goalies. look at one of my previous posts where I break down the stats. People that love him blindly are going to argue that the team in front of him has not been that great, well I tend to disagree, the team has played fine, he is the one that has wet the bed and Raanta is about to prove that with 5 or 6 more games under his belt when he has a 0.935 and 1.95 GAA.

What people who understand sports do is avoid making judgements on small sample sizes or short-term trends.

Fortunately, smart GMs don't either.

If you look at Raanta in net and Crawford in net and think there is any comparison, or dare I say controversy... well, I can't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad