Post-Game Talk: Hawks manhandle Stars, 6-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Trying to make sense of Raanta. He's a small goalie that doesn't track the puck well with great reflexes that makes tons of saves that just sort of hit him. He's played well, but I certainly am not comfortable when he's in net.

chimairainc

Dec 10, 2013
Trying to make sense of Raanta. He's a small goalie that doesn't track the puck well with great reflexes that makes tons of saves that just sort of hit him. He's played well, but I certainly am not comfortable when he's in net.

he's still new, lets give him a little more. i got a feeling he'll do ok. At least Crawford is only out for a few weeks

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Raanta definitely has the raw talent to play in the NHL. Only question now is whether he'll need to adjust his technique or if he'll just keep flying by the seat of his pants.

Six games isn't enough for me to suggest anything for him, but goalies with raw talent and solid confidence are the kind of long-term gamble that's always worth making.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Goalie stats are largely ******** in my opinion. Lord knows I feel much more comfortable with Crow in net than when Raanta is playing. Crow has shown he can play like a brick wall, and do so when the games matter the most. Raanta is a talented goalie with some pretty big flaws that hasn't carried this team to a win yet.

Crow was up for team Canada consideration for a reason people.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
yes, it's good to have cheap, 0.924 backup for a 6M/y, 0.907 and league ranked #30 starting goalie.

1. Sample size - Raanta has played 5 games in the NHL. Two sub-par games and those stats go to ****.

2. Accomplishments - Crawford has a Stanley Cup, a Jennings and should have won the Conn Smythe last year.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
1. Sample size - Raanta has played 5 games in the NHL. Two sub-par games and those stats go to ****.

2. Accomplishments - Crawford has a Stanley Cup, a Jennings and should have won the Conn Smythe last year.

as well as Emery has, who played in same team at same time and had exactly same numbers.It proves nothing regarding to this season or for CC-Raanta comparison.
I agree that sample size is small for Raanta, but Crawford's sample size is big enough to find out his actual league rank.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
as well as Emery has, who played in same team at same time and had exactly same numbers.It proves nothing regarding to this season or for CC-Raanta comparison.
I agree that sample size is small for Raanta, but Crawford's sample size is big enough to find out his actual league rank.

You still can't favor a goaltender with a sample size that small over a proven #1 goaltender with hardware, regardless of how well the defense was playing last year. If Crawford comes back and ***** the bed while Raanta continues to play well, then you might be on to something. Until then, it's a moot point. People seem to forget that goaltenders aren't immune to rough patches, especially when they see the amount of work that Crawford has seen.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007

Who cares that Emery has a Cup? He didn't play a single second of playoff hockey in that run.

You're right - look at the sample that is Crawford's entire career and he grades out as a pretty solid goaltender.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

I have to disagree pretty strongly about tracking the puck. Raanta has shown to be more than capable of fighting through traffic and snagging pucks and finding loose pucks around his net/in the crease.

I would say his biggest flaw is that he tends to move around a bit too much and plays overly aggressive at times.. but Crawford did that too when he broke into the league. He needs to let the game come to him a bit more, which I'm sure he will in time.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
this is probably a dumb question, but why did we sign khabibulin again?

Because he was much, much better last year.

Yes, this.

Also, because of the structure of his deal, Raanta's deal, and the CBA rules, he's basically amounts to a free contract cap wise. He's free depth, so long as he and Raanta aren't on the roster at the same time at any point.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I have to disagree pretty strongly about tracking the puck. Raanta has shown to be more than capable of fighting through traffic and snagging pucks and finding loose pucks around his net/in the crease.

I would say his biggest flaw is that he tends to move around a bit too much and plays overly aggressive at times.. but Crawford did that too when he broke into the league. He needs to let the game come to him a bit more, which I'm sure he will in time.

It seems like half the shots he makes a save on he has absolutely no idea what happened to the puck the second it hit him. Technically he's poor, but good reflexes and ice water in his veins have made many a goalie.

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 1h
#Blackhawks G Antti Raanta: "If the forwards want to score points, that's fine for me. ... It's pretty nice to be a goalie on this team."

I like this guy.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
It seems like half the shots he makes a save on he has absolutely no idea what happened to the puck the second it hit him. Technically he's poor, but good reflexes and ice water in his veins have made many a goalie.

and the good thing is, technique can be improved/fixed, talent can't be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad