Hawks/Jets game booing Kane and yelling "Craaaford"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Why were Jets fans booing Patrick Kane? it makes absolutely zero sense unless they were trying to imply Evander Kane was better for some odd reason.

Also, I noticed several times when the Hawks were in the Jets zone and doing a good job with puck possession and making plays that the Jets fans started to scream "Craaawwford, Craaawwford."

I've certainly seen the boos and chants against players before (like Brian Campbell in SJ for example) but I also know he got booed because he didn't resign in SJ so that is understandable, however Patrick Kane being booed in Winnipeg made absolutely no sense to me, as did the "Crawford" chant when the Hawks were putting on a show in the offensive zone when usually you hear the chant when the home team is in the offensive zone wreaking havoc..

The Hawks played a great game and I loved the outcome but I found the Winnipeg crowed odd at best.

Also on a side note: This I can understand - but when Crawford went down and it seemed Khabby may come into the game the crowed went wild.... This I can understand but it's been what? 20 years since Khabby wore a Jets uni..... That would be like Hawks fans cheering for Belfour (if he was a backup)....

I have no ill-will against the Jets or their fans however I just thought the game was weird from start to finish.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Jets fans just boo opposing team's good players. They were booing Toews, too. Doesn't mean anything. Same goes with anyone even remotely connected to the old Jets, as they always get cheered whenever they're shown.

The Crawford thing was just classless though, and the collective claim that they thought he was faking an injury to draw a penalty and was only lightly grazed is an example of either poor eyesight, not seeing a replay, or blind homerism, take your pick.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Jets fans just boo opposing team's good players. They were booing Toews, too. Doesn't mean anything. Same goes with anyone even remotely connected to the old Jets, as they always get cheered whenever they're shown.

The Crawford thing was just classless though, and the collective claim that they thought he was faking an injury to draw a penalty and was only lightly grazed is an example of either poor eyesight, not seeing a replay, or blind homerism, take your pick.

I found that strange too that they were booing Toews and cheering every time he got hit, knocked down or made a bad play....

I would understand if there was a rivalry but presently there is no Hawks/Jets rivalry - besides - even in Vancouver the fans aren't that active in booing opposing players...

I suppose booing players is fine if there is a reason to do so (like the player being booed took a cheap shot or owned them one night with 6 points or something) but I don't think Kane or Toews meets any of that criteria for booing....

The weirdest part is that Toews is from Winnipeg and has brought the cup there twice, not to mention has strong roots and ties within the Winnipeg community via youth hockey sponsorships, personal appearances -- hell they even named a Lake and a Street after him. I feel bad for his parents having to sit through that nonsense after how much Toews has done for Winnipeg.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Little bit over the top there.

I didn't like their collective attitude one bit...

Do you hear that type of nonsense at the UC? No.

I'm sure there are plenty of classy Jets fans but collectively the other night they were disrespectful for no reason at all.

Like I said in a previous post - it the Hawks and Jets had a rivalry I would completely understand but that isn't the case. Maybe one day we will have a rivalry but not anytime soon.

I'd like to think the Jets fans were attempting to create a rivalry and show support for their "Jets II" but I believe their behavior was borderline taunting.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I fail to see what the issue is here, aside from them chanting Crawford when he was hurt.

Hawk fans chant "Detroit Sucks" all the time, how's that any different than booing or anything else?

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I fail to see what the issue is here, aside from them chanting Crawford when he was hurt.

Hawk fans chant "Detroit Sucks" all the time, how's that any different than booing or anything else?

When he was hurt that royally pissed me off... You just don't do that when a guy is injured - that is almost sociopathic..

I just thought it was amusing (in a funny way) that Jets fans were yelling "Crawford" at the exact same time the Hawks were dominating in the offensive zone.... I've never seen that before in my 30 years of watching hockey...

Also, "Detroit Sucks" is hardly offensive given the Hawk/Wings rivalry (which is now over) - Wings fans would also yell "Hawks suck" to boot...

Can't say I recall Chicago fans booing a Wings player other than Chelios or Dino Ciccarelli.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
When he was hurt that royally pissed me off... You just don't do that when a guy is injured - that is almost sociopathic..

I just thought it was amusing (in a funny way) that Jets fans were yelling "Crawford" at the exact same time the Hawks were dominating in the offensive zone.... I've never seen that before in my 30 years of watching hockey...

Also, "Detroit Sucks" is hardly offensive given the Hawk/Wings rivalry (which is now over) - Wings fans would also yell "Hawks suck" to boot...

Can't say I recall Chicago fans booing a Wings player other than Chelios or Dino Ciccarelli.

It's hardly offensive to you, because your a Hawk fan. It's no less offensive than booing Kane or chanting Crawford (when he's not hurt).

Other fans boo other star players all the time, nothing new.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Booing someone when they are hurt...you don't see it very often in the NHL. It's pretty ****ing low but good on Crow for playing so well afterward and shutting them up.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Fans pay hard earned money to attend games..booing opponents is a time-honoured tradition in sports..you expect them to be silent and respectful to our stars just because our marketing hype dept. Thinks they have thin skins and cannot take the jeers(which would ruin their tempers to a fouler disposition and so mess up the "can't upset them physically or mentally else they will not be viewed so amgelically as the good guys " by the local media" requirement? If our guys cannot take verbal heat in away gamesfrom enemy crowds, and got thrown off their game,and took penalties to compensate ---that would beindicative they indeed are too thin-skined to survive in the NHL. But trying to create a myth that our guys are so precious as vaunted superior talents that THOU SHALL HAVE NO RIGHT TO BOO THEM IF YOU ARE FANS OF ANOTHER TEAM...or for that matter EVEN FANS of OUR TEAM,if our heroes are stinking it up that night...would seem an insane expectation to put on some FORBIDDEN LAW of hockey list.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
It's hardly offensive to you, because your a Hawk fan. It's no less offensive than booing Kane or chanting Crawford (when he's not hurt).

Other fans boo other star players all the time, nothing new.

I'm not offended by fan reaction.... However I as a bit pissed when Crawford looked like he was injured and the crowed started yelling "Crawford." That isn't right - you don't mock a player when he appears to be injured and most croweds (in any sport) usually cheer when the injured player gets up.... Instead they were cheering the possibility of Khabby entering the game...

As far as my opinion on the boos in general - they made no damn sense whatsoever - Jets fans were yelling "Crawford" when the Hawks were dominating the Jets - in the Jets own zone..... It's almost like they weren't paying attention to the game..

Yeah, I'm a Hawks fan but at the same time I do get concerned when a player gets hurt - I don't want to see players (from any team) get hurt.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Fans pay hard earned money to attend games..booing opponents is a time-honoured tradition in sports..you expect them to be silent and respectful to our stars just because our marketing hype dept. Thinks they have thin skins and cannot take the jeers(which would ruin their tempers to a fouler disposition and so mess up the "can't upset them physically or mentally else they will not be viewed so amgelically as the good guys " by the local media" requirement? If our guys cannot take verbal heat in away gamesfrom enemy crowds, and got thrown off their game,and took penalties to compensate ---that would beindicative they indeed are too thin-skined to survive in the NHL. But trying to create a myth that our guys are so precious as vaunted superior talents that THOU SHALL HAVE NO RIGHT TO BOO THEM IF YOU ARE FANS OF ANOTHER TEAM...or for that matter EVEN FANS of OUR TEAM,if our heroes are stinking it up that night...would seem an insane expectation to put on some FORBIDDEN LAW of hockey list.

I can't read what you write.

I suppose I understand 15% of what you're trying to literally imply, but crowed reactions don't make me angry - they should be expected, however cheering when a goalie is hurt or yelling a goalies name when the play as at the other end of the ice is a)sadistic and b) ignorant/irrational..

The proper time to yell "Crawford" is when the Jets have the puck and are on the attack - NOT when the Hawks have the puck and are throwing pucks at the net...

The best part is that as a goalie (I play goal) you don't even hear that nonsense because you're so concentrated on the game that ambient noise is blocked out of your head....

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think some people are being a bit over sensitive. I highly doubt Crawford cared about the boos. And neither should any of us.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I think some people are being a bit over sensitive. I highly doubt Crawford cared about the boos. And neither should any of us.

I agree...

My point isn't about the boos (or taunts) it's about when they were booing and taunting..

I could care less if fans boo or taunt - I was merely pointing out that they were doing it at all the wrong times.

The crowed was yelling "Crawford" when the Hawks were in the Jets zone dominating them - both physically and with puck control.

That's why I started this thread - I thought it was extremely weird... In 30 years of being a diehard Hawks fan I have never seen fans taunt a goalie when their team is being dominated at the other end of the ice...

I'm sure Crawford was laughing his ass off standing there watching his teammates score goals while he's getting chanted...

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
At least your beat writer seemed to like us...

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 2 Nov
Really impressed with the Winnipeg crowd. Very loud, very knowledgable. #Blackhawks #NHLJets

;)

99% of the time I love the energy of the MTS Centre crowd. The other 1% makes me cringe, and that Crawford incident (chanting his name when injured) was an example.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yeah, think some people are just getting too sensitive. Crowds don't boo scrubs (unless they're also dirty goons), so take it as a badge of honor. Winnipeg's just a loud and raucous crowd, but I haven't heard any safety concerns like's the case for more than a few teams in all four leagues.

Only issue was with Crawford getting booed when he was down.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
At least your beat writer seemed to like us...

;)

99% of the time I love the energy of the MTS Centre crowd. The other 1% makes me cringe, and that Crawford incident (chanting his name when injured) was an example.

He did like your crowd, until they chanted Crawford when he was hurt.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Yeah, think some people are just getting too sensitive. Crowds don't boo scrubs (unless they're also dirty goons), so take it as a badge of honor. Winnipeg's just a loud and raucous crowd, but I haven't heard any safety concerns like's the case for more than a few teams in all four leagues.

Only issue was with Crawford getting booed when he was down.

And after that Bollig or Brookbank should have gone after Evander Kane and started a boat-load of ****...

I think the score was 3-1 or 4-1 at the time...

Sometimes is bad to take penalties and at others it's perfectly fine.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
And after that Bollig or Brookbank should have gone after Evander Kane and started a boat-load of ****...

This isn't the 1980's. What exactly did any Jet player do, anyway?
Just stop.

Sometimes is bad to take penalties and at others it's perfectly fine.

Nope. What you suggest would have been pointless and stupid, would have interrupted a game Chicago was dominating, would have opened up Toews, Kane, etc. to potential retribution from Winnipeg, etc... Need I go on?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It wouldn't have bothered me to see Bollig throw down with Evander Kane. Speaking of Kane, looked pretty unimpressive in the game.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
E. Kane isn't dim enough to take himself off the ice for five minutes just so he can fight Bollig.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think the Jets fans constant booing is classless and annoying. Call it uptight if you want, I just don't think it's "cute" like so many others di

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I think the Jets fans constant booing is classless and annoying. Call it uptight if you want, I just don't think it's "cute" like so many others di

I don't think it's classless, but it can be annoying at times. It almost seems like Jets fans are trying too hard

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
They're booing other teams and players for no reason, meanwhile their franchise's biggest accomplishment is simply existing...and they've only done that for 3 years

Classless

Nothingman*

The random booing is kind of silly. But I really don't care who or when they do it. I wish they had someone I wanted to boo..... But it just is of little consequence. All that matters is the scoreboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad