Rumor: Hawks interested in van Riemsdyk & Landeskog

GGGHawks18

Dec 16, 2011
Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 19m19 minutes ago
I'm told the #Blackhawks are checking into impact forwards via trade & have checked in w/ #leafs re: van Riemsdyk & #Avs re: Landeskog

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 10m10 minutes ago
Must be noted: nothing imminent re: #Blackhawks trades ... just some nuggets I heard today from a source, preliminary talks etc.

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 3m3 minutes ago
Heard #Avs are open for business for all but MacKinnon. Landeskog & Duchene apparently available, but both have very high pricetags. #NHL

Hedger also says that he has a name that has been a part of talks from the Hawks end, but won't reveal who that is.

topnotch

Oct 20, 2010
What do the Hawks have to trade?

As of young defensemen, Forsling is the most promising but I don't think he holds enough value.

This appears to be a "Hawks call Avs, talk for ~5 minutes about Landeskog then move on to more realistic possibilities such as Iginla".

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

That's the kicker.
They don't have much to offer that would help the Leafs, unless they wanted to send a package containing at least two of their top defense prospects and a pick because no one of them + a 1st gets it done.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Two possibilities: Bowman knows something about a rising cap or he is going to trade Hjalmarsson or Seabrook. I mean if they land to Landeskog.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Two possibilities: Bowman knows something about a rising cap or he is going to trade Hjalmarsson or Seabrook. I mean if they land to Landeskog.

Highly doubt Seabrook waives. Hjalmarsson is a possibility but I don't like the chances that he had the Leafs or Avs on that list.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

Lots! They can move picks, and they probably will at the TDL or before. They have some D prospects like Forsling and Pokka. Plus a roster guy like Kruger would have value in a trade (plus help the Hawks balance their checkbook).

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yup if Bowman is looking at adding JVR and Landeskog, Then i would definitely have to believe that one of either Hjalmarsson or Seabrook is heading somewhere else you're talking about adding around $10.25 million for the 2 players and i'm not sure the Hawks have the pieces to get it done here.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Hawks just keep hording high cap hit players. How do they do it? Nobody knows, not even the league. :laugh:

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 19m19 minutes ago
I'm told the #Blackhawks are checking into impact forwards via trade & have checked in w/ #leafs re: van Riemsdyk & #Avs re: Landeskog

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 10m10 minutes ago
Must be noted: nothing imminent re: #Blackhawks trades ... just some nuggets I heard today from a source, preliminary talks etc.

Brian Hedger ‏@BrianHedger 3m3 minutes ago
Heard #Avs are open for business for all but MacKinnon. Landeskog & Duchene apparently available, but both have very high pricetags. #NHL

Hedger also says that he has a name that has been a part of talks from the Hawks end, but won't reveal who that is.

Since both of those guys are under contract, you would have to get rid of someone with term

First there is Kruger, but that wouldnt be enough - getting rid of him is just enough to compensate the increase to Panarin

So who are you left with...

Hossa, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Anisimov, Crawford

I don't see Chicago trading Hossa right now, same thing for Anisimov or Hjalmarsson (he's their 2nd best D man)

I can see them trading Crawford in the offseason but would you really do it now before the playoffs? I doubt it

So the other guy would be Seabrook. I'm all for trading him given his age, the eventual decline and the his cap hit / length.. but that would make them REALLY thin on the blue line

So... overall.. I don't see it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Jvr is perfect for Chicago or Pits. It'll cost picks and prospects but if either team gets him it put one over the other. If Toronto holds 2m or so of that cap its an extended 2 year window for winning. Bang for the buck considering the winning window of Crosby and Toews... No brainer to mortgage the future a bit for what would be the closest thing to a sure cup appearance for either team.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011

Both are too old. Avs are in 30th place and years away from competing. Think young (24) D or very good D prospects.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Great, hockey rumours from sources who don't have elementary math skills and an understanding of salary caps.

If Toronto retains JVR is a little over 2m for this year and next... You don't think they can make 2m?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He'd be an idiot if he didn't have interest, but that doesn't mean he can realistically make the money work in-season.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Both are too old. Avs are in 30th place and years away from competing. Think young (24) D or very good D prospects.

This is what I think too. I just can't figure out how this would benefit both teams.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
JVR would seem to make more sense to me. I'd think Chicago would really have to pay up to get the Avs to deal Landeskog in division to a team that is already as strong as them.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No, not next year.

Assuming a $75 milion cap and Kruger gone we have $2.2 million in cap-space with a 20-man roster.

If you can't figure out a way to make 3.5m cap space for a 1st line winger and a couple elc contracts then you probably should not really be talking about this kind of thing or managing a team. That's a nothing amount.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Well of course they are interested. It is a gms job to try to improve their team.

Whether they are capable of doing it is another story.

If i was the Hawks, i would go after Jvr due to the fact that he may be somewhat cheaper to acquire than Landeskog.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad