Confirmed with Link: Hawks ink Darling to 2-year contract extension

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There's zero doubt Lundqvist is going to be the starter when healthy. It's not a tough decision at all

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Is it just a difference in pay if they play in the NHL versus AHL? I always thought 2-way meant they can be sent down and called up without being claimed
Correct. The only thing that has bearing on waivers is GP and age. I believe both Darling and Raanta have to pass through waivers next year. Not 100% sure though.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
It's not an option. Dead horse at this point.

To say it isn't even an option, I dunno man ... no team has 2 guys signed for 21.5 like the Hawks and key guys needing new contracts soon ... saving 5.5'ish would go a long ways to easily retaining key guys like Seabrook and Oduya, etc.

Personally I would be shocked if the FO hasn't even considered the option as it would bring a very good return (CC having his best year) while solving very real pending Cap concerns, all in one trade.

I really think the FO loves Darling and believes he can be a solid #1 ... clearly it would be a huge risk, but this management group has a recent history of putting the job in the hands of an unproven guy that they believe in when they feel it is in the greater needs of the team long-term ... the flexibility it would create would be enormous.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Correct. The only thing that has bearing on waivers is GP and age. I believe both Darling and Raanta have to pass through waivers next year. Not 100% sure though.

It was reported when the deal was announced with Darling that the first year of his contract is a two-way contract.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I think there are far more people on this team not pulling their weight than Crawford that probably should be let go before them, and even a sizable chunk of them can probably be let go easier and bring back more, and be much less of a risk.

That being said, I do like what Darling brings. He'd definitly got the potential to be the next in line.

That being said, IMHO there is no way the 'hawks go into next season without a vet in net. Between Darling, Nillson, and Raanta, they've got 72 NHL games experience...right now. I doubt that hits 80 by the end of the season. It may not be Crawford as the vet, it may be some netminder going for his last gasp at it and is nothing more than a mentor (a la Turco), but IMHO they're not going to go with a Darling/Nillson/Raanta combo going into next year with the retool going to happen to the skaters.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
He's got a new lid

scott-darling-chicago-roots-mask-1-of-6.jpg

scott-darling-chicago-roots-mask-3-of-6.jpg

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Damn that is one good looking mask. Makes me even more upset that I didn't run into Akroyd yesterday.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
That's pretty awesome.

I wish Crow would wear something red and more flashy. His looks like a backup's mask.

I also noticed in warmups Tuesday that Darling got new pads. They're now half red with the jersey stripes and half white, instead of red all the way through.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
That's pretty awesome.

I wish Crow would wear something red and more flashy. His looks like a backup's mask.

I also noticed in warmups Tuesday that Darling got new pads. They're now half red with the jersey stripes and half white, instead of red all the way through.

He's had them for a couple of weeks now, and I think they're really cool.

Darling004.jpg

Crow

May 19, 2014
Does the team buy this stuff every time a goalie wants to change it up or how does that work?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
That's pretty awesome.

NO. Shut your mouth.
Everytime Crow wears a new mask, they lose.
His current one is just fine!

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Does the team buy this stuff every time a goalie wants to change it up or how does that work?

If a goalie is high-profile enough the company will actually provide the equipment free of charge as a sort of free advertising. Otherwise, the team pays for the equipment when it needs to be replaced.

Interesting note: Darling has had the most changes to his pads in the league this season with four completely different sets of graphics.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Good read, but why can't writers do a little research? Hate to nitpick but the Chicago Young Americans are not a junior team. Maybe I'm being over the top but that just rubs me wrong when I read stuff like that, regardless of sport/subject matter. Get the facts right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad