Hawks have nothing in Raanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Small goalie who plays small. There was nothing there tonight that was even the slightest bit exciting. Doesnt handle the puck well, has a huge 5 hole, guesses sides w obvious leaning....very disappointing.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
He only let in 2 goals on 26 shots 0.923 save percentage, he came big multiple times. Its his second NHL game and the team played like crap in front of him and people are jumping to conclusions. Rather have him at 1.4 than Craw at 6 any day in any year.

LandofLincoln*

Raanta is not everything is a fair title for the thread. But Hawks have nothing in Raanta okay buddy. Crawford is signed for the next 6 years. Maybe you are right lets say they have nothing in Raanta. Big deal what did he cost us in trade value or picks? exactly zero

Hawks have nothing in Crawford would be scary. All we need is a backup goalie for 2m or less a season that gives us a chance to win. Raanta is proving he can do that. You say he plays small okay I give a **** if you think he plays small as long as his save percentage stays at .920 or better it tells the story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
He only let in 2 goals on 26 shots 0.923 save percentage, he came big multiple times. Its his second NHL game and the team played like crap in front of him and people are jumping to conclusions. Rather have him at 1.4 than Craw at 6 any day in any year.

3rd plus came in on game before getting his first start. First home game so it might have been nervous. Looked pissed off after the game, wasn't happy with his performance for sure.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
One thing that makes me nervous is that it seems to lose his net quite a bit on lateral plays, leaving the backside EXTREMELY vulnerable.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Raanta certainly isn't even close to NHL ready... quite disapponting. Especially with all the great talent we are seeing come into the league, we get a project.

Put him back in the minors and see if he gets better - Time to promote someone else or go get some help for Crawford.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
He's a backup that gives you a chance to win. He's far from the ideal backup at this point, but he's certainly an upgrade on the hot garbage that Khabi was.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I don't know how he played, didn't see the game, but i'd be more interested in how he handles himself after a bad goal, than judging every mistake he makes, every goalie has those.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
I don't know how he played, didn't see the game, but i'd be more interested in how he handles himself after a bad goal, than judging every mistake he makes, every goalie has those.

And yeah, it took Crawford 5 years to get starter job and another 3 to get anything to show for. Guys are throwing Raanta under the bus before he has more than few games under his belt. I'd wait a year to see him fully adjust and i wouldn't be surprised if he puts Crawford on bench in year or 2.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Raanta certainly isn't even close to NHL ready... quite disapponting. Especially with all the great talent we are seeing come into the league, we get a project.

Put him back in the minors and see if he gets better - Time to promote someone else or go get some help for Crawford.

Based on what, losing a shutout? The Hawks don't have any better alternatives currently.

Niemi played 3 games for the Hawks in 08', 09', had a .864 save percentage.

feichter

Apr 2, 2006
I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw9qqvm-LT8

Plus, IMO, Niemi looked like a$$ when he started, but I'd give a left nut to have him back in the crease now.

Too early in his development...development is the key word...to jump all over him already. I remember CLBS had written off Steve Mason last year, too.
-Matt.

Last edited:

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Based on what, losing a shutout? The Hawks don't have any better alternatives currently.

And that's the point, isn't it. If we don't have an alternative, we'd better get one. Luckily, Crawford has stayed healthy and has proven he can play a lot of hockey, but............ we hear of other goalies getting hurt every week. CC is not immune to injury.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
And that's the point, isn't it. If we don't have an alternative, we'd better get one. Luckily, Crawford has stayed healthy and has proven he can play a lot of hockey, but............ we hear of other goalies getting hurt every week. CC is not immune to injury.

Good luck finding a quality goaltender at this time that fits within the Hawks cap. Yeah, not going to happen. You don't pull the plug yet on this guy, not based on the current results.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Raantas 5 hole was pathetic. Completely overmatched in the shootout. Other than that, great game.

Can Brookbank play goalie?

edit: Also Selannes shot would have gone in if it didnt hit the post.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Good luck finding a quality goaltender at this time that fits within the Hawks cap. Yeah, not going to happen. You don't pull the plug yet on this guy, not based on the current results.

If you call sending him to RFD to work on his fundamentals, "pulling the plug", then I disagree. He'll get smoked up here.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He was good last night against an awesome team. First shootout and he sucked at it, so what.

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
He was good last night against an awesome team. First shootout and he sucked at it, so what.

Yeah, settle down people.

Or, maybe we all should be upset. He didn't start his career with a shutout like future hall of famers Michael Leighton, Yann Denis, and Al Montoya. Clearly there is no hope. Q shouldn't have even given him a second start. What was he thinking?

Eye roll.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
How many times has a sure goal hit the post in hockey?

Jesus Christ, you people act like this never happened before. At least he kept his composure and put the team in a spot to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad