Hawks Defense-2012-2013 v. 2013-2014

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Same players sans Frolik on pk and Emery in net. Unfortunately one year does not mean the same results the next year.

Everyone can make all the excuses for Crawford they want. Hes #30th in save %. Quite different than last year when Emery lit a fire under Crawfords rear and drove the Hawks to have one of the best goaltending tandems last year. Completely different dynamics this year with Crawford getting a fat contract.

One year you're up, the next you're down. The team goes as far as the goaltending takes them. Nowhere to hide for the goalies. Time to sacrifice the body and block everything b/c the laser beams are not being stopped.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
I think calling them lazy is an absolute joke. I do see fatigue being an issue though, that I agree. That's why while I think it's awesome that a lot of the team is going to be going to Sochi, part of me just wishes they would use the two and a half weeks for rest (especially Keith and Hammer).

I agree...**** the Olympics

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Same players sans Frolik on pk and Emery in net. Unfortunately one year does not mean the same results the next year.

Everyone can make all the excuses for Crawford they want. Hes #30th in save %. Quite different than last year when Emery lit a fire under Crawfords rear and drove the Hawks to have one of the best goaltending tandems last year. Completely different dynamics this year with Crawford getting a fat contract.

One year you're up, the next you're down. The team goes as far as the goaltending takes them. Nowhere to hide for the goalies. Time to sacrifice the body and block everything b/c the laser beams are not being stopped.

Before the Edmonton game, Crawford had a Sv% above .920. He had a bad game, and it fell to around .917.. then, he has to come in for Khabibulan, who **** the bed and with the Hawks playing like crap.. his Sv% drops after that game to, what? .912? Then he plays this game, has no chance on any of the three goals, and he's 30th in the league.

Crawford's also 7th in shots-against, and is 1st in games-played-in.

I'm not worried about Crawford. He's been good this year. He needs a night off and the team needs to be better in front of him.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago

Outside of the last 3-5 starts, I think he's played pretty well. He wasn't supposed to play against Nashville then gets pulled tonight after some pretty bad turnovers that led to goals. It'd be nice if the Hawks had a reliable backup to take some pressure off of him. Hopefully Raanta will make some starts on this road trip to give Crawford some rest.

I don't think Crawford's stats tell the whole story.

MTP

I Love Shinpads
Jan 19, 2010
Downers Grove, IL
Crawford is definitely feeling fatigued. He's let in some goals lately that while you really can't fault him for, he usually makes the save. Q's had to ride him fairly hard lately because of how bad Khabibulin has been, but I think Raanta will get a few starts on this road trip so Craw can get some rest. He's not exactly on fire right now, but he's definitely not the 30th best goalie in the league.

And the team defense isn't helping right now, either.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Yup Coreys fatigued. Leads the league in games played. Played one more game than Mike Smith and two more than several others. All or most have better save percentages. Several have at a shutout or two to boot.

Im fatigued watching a blow out every other game. Trending.

SLarmer28*

Road trip blowouts?

The solution:

A road trip BAG SKATE!

Happy Holidays,

Iron Mike Keenan

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Again, level headed and intelligent posters bringing up valid concerns only to be met with mockery and over the top sarcasm is just as bad as the pessimistic fools who think this team in all likelihood will get bounced in the first round. Just the opposite end of the spectrum.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yup Coreys fatigued. Leads the league in games played. Played one more game than Mike Smith and two more than several others. All or most have better save percentages. Several have at a shutout or two to boot.

Im fatigued watching a blow out every other game. Trending.

You're so battered and beaten you can't even reach the remote? Dammit Crawford, do you see what happens when you let in goals? DO YOU SEE NOW?

Patriks7

Oct 20, 2010
I may be completely wrong about this, but this is the most logical answer to me: with the team winning the cup and playing pretty much in "playoff mode" all of last season, they are bound to be slightly tired. When you factor in the Olympics coming up (quite a few more games for many players), the players just aren't bound to be focused 100% for every game of the season. It is an 82 game season after all. Now if they continue playing like this around the trade deadline, we should start getting worried...

Bring Back GLR

Commit to the Indian
Nov 8, 2006
Blackhawkville
Lets not get blown out by the Canucks on Saturday that's all I ask. The Nucks are having trouble scoring goals but they get it up for us like a teenage dream.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Again, level headed and intelligent posters bringing up valid concerns only to be met with mockery and over the top sarcasm is just as bad as the pessimistic fools who think this team in all likelihood will get bounced in the first round. Just the opposite end of the spectrum.

I can't tell you how tired I am of this. I find it extremely rude. I wish the moderators would just delete those posts...they're basically trolling.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
You're so battered and beaten you can't even reach the remote? Dammit Crawford, do you see what happens when you let in goals? DO YOU SEE NOW?

What is the point of this post? You know hockey pretty well but you don't seem interested in discussing it that often.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The GA are definitely starting to get worrisome. It's really hard to pin point what it is exactly.

Crawford isn't making tough saves on a regular basis.
The forwards aren't blocking shots near as much as last year it seems.
The defense is making bad decisions behind and in front of our net.
The PK has been terrible because of the above.

I'm not too worried yet though, there is still lots of time, and we aren't healthy as a team which causes a ripple effect in the lineup. Maybe the boys are taking some of the teams too lightly (Nashville, Colorado, Edmonton) and expect to win just because they are Cup champs.

I'll worry though when we are still letting in all of these goals closer to the end of the year.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
The GA are definitely starting to get worrisome. It's really hard to pin point what it is exactly.

Crawford isn't making tough saves on a regular basis.
The forwards aren't blocking shots near as much as last year it seems.
The defense is making bad decisions behind and in front of our net.
The PK has been terrible because of the above.

I'm not too worried yet though, there is still lots of time, and we aren't healthy as a team which causes a ripple effect in the lineup. Maybe the boys are taking some of the teams too lightly (Nashville, Colorado, Edmonton) and expect to win just because they are Cup champs.

I'll worry though when we are still letting in all of these goals closer to the end of the year.

It's a bad streak.
Take out the SJ game and the Hawks have let in 20 goals in 4 games.

To me that says either laziness or fatigue.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
You use sarcasm to deflect any valid points other people make. For the record I like Crow and think he's been solid.

Crawford wasn't as good as the team made him look last year. But probably isn't a bad as they've made him look both this season and 2 seasons ago.

Regarding the rest. This team has won 2 of the last 4 cups. they aren't going to play at 99 MPH for all 82 games plus the playoffs. I'll worry if we're seeing the same crap in March still.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Crawford wasn't as good as the team made him look last year. But probably isn't a bad as they've made him look both this season and 2 seasons ago.

Regarding the rest. This team has won 2 of the last 4 cups. they aren't going to play at 99 MPH for all 82 games plus the playoffs. I'll worry if we're seeing the same crap in March still.

The year they won the Cup in 2010, they had a terrible March (but I get what you are saying). Wake me up in May.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad