Hawks Defense-2012-2013 v. 2013-2014

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Figured I would address the elephant in the room at this juncture in the season that is the Hawks' terrible defense up to this point.

With much of the same personnel from last season's top 3 defense it is mystifying why this team cannot keep the puck out of its own net. I think the easy scapegoat could be Crawford, but the majority of the goals being let in can be placed directly at the feet (or skates if you will) of the defense.

I am not really sure what the solution is at this point, but coupled with the woes of the PK, this team will not advance in the playoffs if the problem is not addressed (and addressed in an effective manner).

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Way too many turnovers.
That's not all on the defensemen either. Many of them are coming from the forwards turning the puck over in bad areas.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Way too many turnovers.
That's not all on the defensemen either. Many of them are coming from the forwards turning the puck over in bad areas.

It's a collective effort from the defense onto the forwards, no doubt about that. I am starting to think that the losses of Bolland and Frolik may not be as insignificant as I once believed.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Uh, the Blackhawks have been far from terrible. They've been really bad in 2 of the past 3 games and their PK has been really bad. 5-on-5, they've been very good (again, outside of tonight and against Nashville).

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Figured I would address the elephant in the room at this juncture in the season that is the Hawks' terrible defense up to this point.

With much of the same personnel from last season's top 3 defense it is mystifying why this team cannot keep the puck out of its own net. I think the easy scapegoat could be Crawford, but the majority of the goals being let in can be placed directly at the feet (or skates if you will) of the defense.

I am not really sure what the solution is at this point, but coupled with the woes of the PK, this team will not advance in the playoffs if the problem is not addressed (and addressed in an effective manner).

Lawl. Didn't even see this when I originally posted. Classic though. Classic.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Uh, the Blackhawks have been far from terrible. They've been really bad in 2 of the past 3 games and their PK has been really bad. 5-on-5, they've been very good (again, outside of tonight and against Nashville).

I'd say 3 of the last 4.
The team defense was horrible against Phoenix too.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Of course you didn't say that, it was a sarcastic response, something you're well versed in.

You gotta do better than that though bud. A lot better. Trying too hard? Maybe.

But it doesn't matter; timing of sarcasm, the Blackhawks, life. Much like this thread, the Hawks season is doomed to end poorly. I'd be shocked if they make the playoffs if this type of play continues. Dammit Hawks. Why can't they be good? WHY?!

tumblr_lawqyhvzbB1qa9n79.gif

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
You gotta do better than that though bud. A lot better. Trying too hard? Maybe.

But it doesn't matter; timing of sarcasm, the Blackhawks, life. Much like this thread, the Hawks season is doomed to end poorly. I'd be shocked if they make the playoffs if this type of play continues. Dammit Hawks. Why can't they be good? WHY?!

tumblr_lawqyhvzbB1qa9n79.gif

Which was obviously the tenor of my original post.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Dammit Sarava, this is exactly the kind of time to get worked up. They only have 60 games to get their **** together. WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!

running-into-wall-o.gif

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Hawks played as many games as anyone last year and had an extra shortened summer due to the lockout. They are playing another condensed schedule this year due to the Olympics. Our top pairing defenseman both have new babies and both have a shot at Team Canada.

I've seen a couple posts (sorry forgot the thread) calling out Keith and Seabrook as lazy. These guys have logged as many NHL minutes as anyone in the past year. Duncan Keith is 30 now, with a newborn at home, playing two condensed seasons in a row plus the Olympics. Not making excuses, but it is the reality.

I just hope our big dogs have enough gas in the tank. It didn't surprise me that we came out firing after the lockout - it was the first time many of the guys on our team had an extended period to rest!

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
I think calling them lazy is an absolute joke. I do see fatigue being an issue though, that I agree. That's why while I think it's awesome that a lot of the team is going to be going to Sochi, part of me just wishes they would use the two and a half weeks for rest (especially Keith and Hammer).

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I think calling them lazy is an absolute joke. I do see fatigue being an issue though, that I agree. That's why while I think it's awesome that a lot of the team is going to be going to Sochi, part of me just wishes they would use the two and a half weeks for rest (especially Keith and Hammer).

To clarify before I get torched on the "lazy" quote, I remember someone calling out Seabrook for not turning it on until playoffs and Keith making some "lazy plays."

Just my opinion, but all that matters to me is Stanley Cups. Sometimes this board treats every game (and shift in Brookbank's case) as some event that is going to give us insight into the direction of the organization for the remainder of the year.

I don't want to diminish the chemistry, confidence, leadership, and teamwork that can be developed throughout the season (point streak last year!), but to me it's all about the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I know some of the big dogs will be tired, but I'd still put my money on our big D to show up when it counts.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
I'm a firm believe that teams can form bad habits during the season. I just don't want to see this trend continue. There's no doubt in my mind this defense has the potential to be great and be a part of another Cup. I just don't want bad tendencies to set in.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
We realize that last year was one of/if not the most dominant statistical season in recent NHL history, right? If thats your standard for performance you will be disappointed for the rest of your days watching the Hawks. We are leading the league in goals. Our PK is atrocious but correctable. Not worried.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
I'm a firm believe that teams can form bad habits during the season. I just don't want to see this trend continue. There's no doubt in my mind this defense has the potential to be great and be a part of another Cup. I just don't want bad tendencies to set in.

Agreed. Kinda crazy but with Keith's assist tonight he is on pace for a 60 point season right now (he's only broken 45 points once). He's obviously on a team with a lot of fire-power, and I'd rather see the defense there.

Do you think his offense is taking away form his defensive responsibilities?

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I wanna know why that bum Duncan Keith is on the PP. He can never hit the net. Sheldon Brookbank is a much better option

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Agreed. Kinda crazy but with Keith's assist tonight he is on pace for a 60 point season right now (he's only broken 45 points once). He's obviously on a team with a lot of fire-power, and I'd rather see the defense there.

Do you think his offense is taking away form his defensive responsibilities?

I think his decision making has been a little off, but definitely have liked what I have seen from overall. His defense isn't up to last season standards, but he should improve as the season progresses.

I'm just concerned with the overall structure of the defense, not one player in particular. Like I said, I expect them to figure things out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad