Post-Game Talk: Hawks @ Caps WINTER CLASSIC | 1/1/15 | 1:00 EST | NBC/CBC

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Chi got the benefit of the calls all game long. I frankly even thought Crawford took a dive on the Wilson penalty. But somehow the issue is the timing of the Toews call. That because they squandered their earlier chances and were in a late tie, the refs should've stayed out of it. Score on the many opportunities you had and that call doesn't matter. Or kill it off and get to OT. Not to mention that if Shaw (?) doesn't slash Ovie's stick in half, the goal likely doesn't happen. Hawks have only themselves to blame.

And Quenville knew it. He cited the 5 on 3 as basically their missed chance to win the game.

It was Saad who slashed Ovie's stick FYI

Now...I even find the "timing" thing perplexing. The Hawks got a cheap call just a couple minutes before that and couldn't score on the PP!

So a penalty called with 3.5 mins left is legit but one called with 1.5 minutes left is just wrong?

Toews was just frustrated. His team couldn't score on the PP. He couldn't get a SOG. The Caps were out playing them. It was a big stage and his team was 13 seconds away from at least getting a point.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Chi got the benefit of the calls all game long. I frankly even thought Crawford took a dive on the Wilson penalty. But somehow the issue is the timing of the Toews call. That because they squandered their earlier chances and were in a late tie, the refs should've stayed out of it. Score on the many opportunities you had and that call doesn't matter. Or kill it off and get to OT. Not to mention that if Shaw (?) doesn't slash Ovie's stick in half, the goal likely doesn't happen. Hawks have only themselves to blame.

And Quenville knew it. He cited the 5 on 3 as basically their missed chance to win the game.

Crawford didn't dive, but Richards certainly did. On that Crawford play though, if you call that you have to call that Shaw trip on the 3rd aswell. They were identical plays.

Most mind-boggling decision off the day was when Toews held Orpik's stick on the 5-on-3 to prevent him from intercepting that pass through the crease. :laugh:

foundhockey

Apr 29, 2012
Georgia, USA
Watch NHL Network's Winter Classic Post Game show. Nothing but praises for the Caps. Praises for Ovi, for Barry. Praises for all the defenseman. Thought they did a good job of pumping up the Caps, I mean they did win the game after all. No backhanded bullcrap like with the NBC crew.

I hate Uverse. They don't carry NHL network.

That's great to hear though! NBC commentary crew, except for Enblom (spelling?) are horribly biased.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Crawford didn't dive, but Richards certainly did. On that Crawford play though, if you call that you have to call that Shaw trip on the 3rd aswell. They were identical plays.

Most mind-boggling decision off the day was when Toews held Orpik's stick on the 5-on-3 to prevent him from intercepting that pass through the crease. :laugh:

Don't forget Beagle blatantly having his stick held and the entire stadium seeing it, but not the refs.

Crawfor didn't dive but he did embellish, imo.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the niskanen penalty on shaw also. I thought it was a legit call, but I heard Niskanen call him a "****ing diver" and then Melrose in the post game said it was a chancy call.

my issues was the toews stick hold on the 5 on 3. how did the ref miss that ?? it was right in front of him and oprik moved to chase a loose puck and couldn't because toews had his stick.

beagle's stick being held i missed, but heard the booing and then the comments of the nbc crew. then there was the shaw trip/slew foot of Johansson. the referees missed all of that but caught backstrom's little hold?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It was Saad who slashed Ovie's stick FYI

Now...I even find the "timing" thing perplexing. The Hawks got a cheap call just a couple minutes before that and couldn't score on the PP!

So a penalty called with 3.5 mins left is legit but one called with 1.5 minutes left is just wrong?

Toews was just frustrated.

Thanks RE: Saad.

Yeah, lots of *****ing from a guy who is used to things going his way. Not at all in keeping with his LOM Canadian Captain rep.

Don't forget Beagle blatantly having his stick held and the entire stadium seeing it, but not the refs.

Crawfor didn't dive but he did embellish, imo.

Embellish is truly what I meant. He is own player tapped his skate and nothing. Then Willy taps right after that and he fails to the ice like he's been shot. But whatever.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
give it time. those will be available at the correct and reasonable price in a couple of months. they do look cool.

here's my question. the caps are allowed two primary uni's and an alternate. you have to assume that the caps will continue to play in the home WC uni. You would think they would keep the regular home red to back up the long term rock the red. so, which of the road white will they keep? the road white that matches the home red or the road white WC uni?

they have worn the road WC uni often on the road this season as their third. that could be because they were going to keep it or because they wanted to get mileage out of it before they stop using it. any idea what they are going to do?
I hope you're right. They're real nice.

The first time I saw the red WC 2014 jerseys, I hated them. Then I warmed to them at the WC itself. Thursday evening, I saw a half dozen of them in Old Town for the first time in the flesh, and they do look sharp. The deep red makes that jersey.

The W logo itself isn't the best, and I'm not sure it's going to look appropriate outside the WC setting. The four white stripes look like pauldrons. So it's not a great jersey, to these eyes, but that deep red is great and salvages the whole.

I like the old timey 2011 WC road jerseys. Nostalgia talking? Probably.

OT, but Chicago still has the best uniform in sports (when they don't muck it up with a black alternate).

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Even the Hawks GDT were kinda pissy their own players were diving, (Richards and shaw) then most agreed that Crawford sold his on wilson as well. Anyway, all those penalties are fine as long as you aren't letting the other team get away with murder.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Blackhawks jerseys are fantastic. I played for the Chesapeake Bay Chiefs growing up and our jersey was the Hawks jersey. My bantam year we added the black third jersey... not sure how anyone doesn't like those. Felt like a bad ass wearing black sweaters when you were 13.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I still remember floor hockey at UMD 8am hungover Saturday morning, getting pitch forked by an ogre with a hawks jersey and missing a tooth. Seeing that hawk crest was the last thing I saw.

Sep 19, 2008
WC gear 60% off at the Nats store. Was going to go but changed my mind at last second. Been keen on a Holtby WC bobble but they were sold out when I checked after the game.

Also the 3 pack I signed up for, got a signed puck in the mail and I had that cased today. Nice to see a WC puck signed by Backstrom here. :)

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
WC gear 60% off at the Nats store. Was going to go but changed my mind at last second. Been keen on a Holtby WC bobble but they were sold out when I checked after the game.

Also the 3 pack I signed up for, got a signed puck in the mail and I had that cased today. Nice to see a WC puck signed by Backstrom here. :)

Do you know how long the WC store is going to be at Nats park?

Sep 19, 2008
I'm not sure, but it should be there for a few more days. They still have plenty of stuff left, but they're running out of bobbles. Clothing wise and hat wise they got plenty of hats, shirts, jackets, in all sizes...I can't remember seeing any jerseys though. They might be there but I'm not sure.

Also, the Verizon Center shop has them for 40% off during the game tomorrow.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Other than the actual game on New Years Day and of course the practice and family skate on New Years Eve, was the rink at Nationals Park used for anything else. Always thought that it would have made sense to have Hershey host a game there on either the Friday or Saturday after the WC, think they would have gotten a good turn out for such a game against say Wilkes Barre Penguins or the Norfolk Admirals.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The Winter Classic is an NHL event that the NHL runs and takes the money from (Caps get their normal ticket revenue only). The NHL chose not to spend the money to host extra events at Nats Park. I don't necessarily blame the Nationals, but based on the amount of time it took to announce Nats Park as the site (when it really was the only choice), the Nationals were charging a lot of money to open the Park.

Sep 19, 2008
The rink was supposedly used afterward for a season ticket holder event, but tickets went fast for that.

The lack of pre-game events was a shame, but they had an alumni meet up the day before, and the spectator plaza day of. That was good enough for me.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
The rink was supposedly used afterward for a season ticket holder event, but tickets went fast for that.

The lack of pre-game events was a shame, but they had an alumni meet up the day before, and the spectator plaza day of. That was good enough for me.

Saturday they held skates all day for those with 10,000 monumental rewards points to spend, suite owners, sponsors, and other folks. Those are not really open to the public however, and Nationals Park stadium involvement was no more than if they were just breaking things down, which they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad