Post-Game Talk: Hawks @ Caps WINTER CLASSIC | 1/1/15 | 1:00 EST | NBC/CBC

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
by the way, this signals a change in NBC production opinion. Ov sucks is not longer the story direction they pursue. Now its Ov is good. He's a good story. This can change at any point but its those people that decides what Milbury and Jones talk about.

I wonder if Crosby fade has the network thinking they need to pump up Ov as a draw rather than use him as a force for bold and dynamic negative criticism?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
by the way, this signals a change in NBC production opinion. Ov sucks is not longer the story direction they pursue. Now its Ov is good. He's a good story. This can change at any point but its those people that decides what Milbury and Jones talk about.

I wonder if Crosby fade has the network thinking they need to pump up Ov as a draw rather than use him as a force for bold and dynamic negative criticism?

It's one marquee game. They HAD to pump his tires, for the network and the league, and they did. At least until Chicago came roaring back and then they could switch focus to the Hawks. Then the backhanded snipes came back out for the Caps and DC.

I don't think any of us imagined it being so drastic and obvious, though. It was quite a reversal of message, and they were clearly going out of their way to praise Ovechkin and the Caps in general. Then it changed, as it often does.

Let Ovie make a highlight reel blunder and then we'll see if they've changed their tune, or if they pile on.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It's one marquee game. They HAD to pump his tires, for the network and the league, and they did. At least until Chicago came roaring back and then they could switch focus to the Hawks. Then the backhanded snipes came back out for the Caps and DC.

I don't think any of us imagined it being so drastic and obvious, though. It was quite a reversal of message, and they were clearly going out of their way to praise Ovechkin and the Caps in general. Then it changed, as it often does.

Let Ovie make a highlight reel blunder and then we'll see if they've changed their tune, or if they pile on.

Yeah they are like sharks circling...waiting for the Caps to revert or Ovie to make mistakes.

Anything good they do will be attributed to Trotz.

Any bad will go right to Ovie.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Out of curiosity.. is there any other NHL team that gets as many back handed compliments as the Washington capitals? That's if we are even getting any compliment at all, its gotta always be backhanded. NBC crew is horrible with it, espn also does it on their power rankings. I don't get it. This was before the WC but of course, the comment had to say "the caps rolled over an injury depleted pens team". I know, who cares what they say, especially ESPN, but.. Why not just give us the credit? Admit it, we are a good team. **** you.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Out of curiosity.. is there any other NHL team that gets as many back handed compliments as the Washington capitals? That's if we are even getting any compliment at all, its gotta always be backhanded. NBC crew is horrible with it, espn also does it on their power rankings. I don't get it. This was before the WC but of course, the comment had to say "the caps rolled over an injury depleted pens team". I know, who cares what they say, especially ESPN, but.. Why not just give us the credit? Admit it, we are a good team. **** you.

Easy...

We are an easy target. Historically haven't won much and many times underachieved, we haven't played "the right way" when we became relevant, and we have a Russian captain who is the face of the franchise.

Vladiator16*

What an awesome game to come back from vacation to. This is the kind of victory the boys should by really proud of. The Caps had to beat one of the top teams in the league and overcome really terrible refereeing, not that our penalties were undeserved, but more like Chicago doing **** went largely unnoticed. I think these kind of games more time then not the boys would get discouraged and loose, not this time.
We sure looked like a bigger physically stronger team to me, sort of pushed Chicago around a little bit, awesome thing to see. Do Hawks even have a decent enforcer anymore? That punk ass Shaw doesn't count. Hated that sequence when he trips our guy "accidentally on purpose" and gets away with it and then gets barely hit even though from behind and flops like a duche that he is.
Anyway, important 2 points, interesting stretch coming up, have to beat FLA, Leafs, Flayers and Wings. Dont get this success get to your heads, and relax a bit (trap game or two), gotta get points against all of them.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Watch NHL Network's Winter Classic Post Game show. Nothing but praises for the Caps. Praises for Ovi, for Barry. Praises for all the defenseman. Thought they did a good job of pumping up the Caps, I mean they did win the game after all. No backhanded bullcrap like with the NBC crew.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Pffft... you think THAT'S bad, read this nugget from some Bruins writer:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/haggertys-nhl-power-rankings-hawks-head-class?

13. Washington Capitals (19-11-7, rank last week: 16) – Who knew that Alex Ovechkin crying to the refs about a slashing call could be an effective strategy in the offensive zone? Just the way Barry Trotz drew it up, I’m sure.

Who's crying here???

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Richards and Shaw diving all over the place.

Ovie was a force all game. Got his stick slashed in half robbing him of a critical scoring chance and the Bs writer points that out?

We need to bring back the gif of Alzner lightsabering Marchand and send it to this guy.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Ironic, since Toews literally *****ed to the media about the officiating.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...er-classic-2015-washington-capitals/21167797/

I'm glad they put the gif in the article. You can clearly see Toews' stick lifting Alzner's right hand up into his torso then getting up under his arms. Look at Alzner's BLADE. He can't get it to the ice because of the hook. That gets called in this league plenty. Anything on the hands, especially if it gives an advantage, which it did.

And 7 pps to 3 at that point, with a 5 on 3....come on, man. Stop whining. You had your chances including a PP right before YOUR PENALTY.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Richards and Shaw diving all over the place.

Ovie was a force all game. Got his stick slashed in half robbing him of a critical scoring chance and the Bs writer points that out?

We need to bring back the gif of Alzner lightSabreing Marchand and send it to this guy.

Don't forget the playoff pirouette on the Chimera collision.

I'm glad they put the gif in the article. You can clearly see Toews' stick lifting Alzner's right hand up into his torso then getting up under his arms. Look at Alzner's BLADE. He can't get it to the ice because of the hook. That gets called in this league plenty. Anything on the hands, especially if it gives an advantage, which it did.

And 7 pps to 3 at that point, with a 5 on 3....come on, man. Stop whining. You had your chances including a PP right before YOUR PENALTY.

You can easily see where the penalty came from when you watch the ref cam as well.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia

I literally cursed the TV when they got a PP against us with 3 minutes left, I feel like this is the 4th game now where we get a penalty with under 4 in regulation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Chicago has the #1 pk in the league and cant kill of 1.5 penalties in a game?
I'd tell toews and any hawks fans reading this to look in the mirror

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Chi got the benefit of the calls all game long. I frankly even thought Crawford took a dive on the Wilson penalty. But somehow the issue is the timing of the Toews call. That because they squandered their earlier chances and were in a late tie, the refs should've stayed out of it. Score on the many opportunities you had and that call doesn't matter. Or kill it off and get to OT. Not to mention that if Shaw (?) doesn't slash Ovie's stick in half, the goal likely doesn't happen. Hawks have only themselves to blame.

And Quenville knew it. He cited the 5 on 3 as basically their missed chance to win the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad