GDT: Hawks @ Caps - 9/20/13 @ 7 PM - It's Toews world and we're all just living in it.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I really don't think they're going to put any lefties in that spot.

Agreed but it wouldn't be a terrible idea IMO to have two different 2nd PP units, one that runs things off the right side like the 1st unit and one that runs things off the left side just to have another option. Sure that would keep Ovechkin from playing the full two minutes all the time but that wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Overall I thought Orlov played a very good game. His play really jumped out to me.

Wilson's is going to be on this team out of the gate.

Liberati0n*

Agreed but it wouldn't be a terrible idea IMO to have two different 2nd PP units, one that runs things off the right side like the 1st unit and one that runs things off the left side just to have another option. Sure that would keep Ovechkin from playing the full two minutes all the time but that wouldn't be a terrible thing IMO.

Yeah, I would really like them to develop a second scheme, either what you say or something with a totally different set-up.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

So, per my earlier question, who do you put in Ovie's spot but on the RW? I could see Grabo in that spot or maybe Erat, but neither are perfect. Does Wilson have that one-timer? I've seen him pull the trigger closer in, but not off the half-wall. Maybe Kuz down the road.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
So, per my earlier question, who do you put in Ovie's spot but on the RW? I could see Grabo in that spot or maybe Erat, but neither are perfect. Does Wilson have that one-timer? I've seen him pull the trigger closer in, but not off the half-wall. Maybe Kuz down the road.

It's even more complicated to make Kuz and Wilson compatible this year, cap-wise.

Liberati0n*

Assuming by RW you mean right-handed, Grabovski, Erat and Kuznetsov are all ineligible. Wilson does seem like he could work.

Edit: Actually I guess you meant LW? In which case Wilson is the one who's ruled out.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Assuming by RW you mean right-handed, Grabovski, Erat and Kuznetsov are all ineligible. Wilson does seem like he could work.

Edit: Actually I guess you meant LW? In which case Wilson is the one who's ruled out.

Ok, true confessions. I have no clue and can't keep track of who's what-handed. I guess it should be easier with Oates's setup, but I maybe I just don't care enough to retain the info.

In any case, what I thought Milhaus was proposing was effectively a mirror of PP1, where the primary shooter is on the RW half-wall, opposite Ovie's PP spot. So that's what I meant.

Liberati0n*

Ok, true confessions. I have no clue and can't keep track of who's what-handed. I guess it should be easier with Oates's setup, but I maybe I just don't care enough to retain the info.

In any case, what I thought Milhaus was proposing was effectively a mirror of PP1, where the primary shooter is on the RW half-wall, opposite Ovie's PP spot. So that's what I meant.

Oh, okay, I actually totally misread your post. I thought you were talking about Brouwer's spot but with a lefty towards the other side, but on re-reading it that's obviously not the case. Yeah, I'm not sure whom you would put there. Orlov comes to mind since he's a lefty with a big shot, maybe Grabovski. I doubt it'll happen anyway.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oh, okay, I actually totally misread your post. I thought you were talking about Brouwer's spot but with a lefty towards the other side, but on re-reading it that's obviously not the case. Yeah, I'm not sure whom you would put there. Orlov comes to mind since he's a lefty with a big shot, maybe Grabovski. I doubt it'll happen anyway.

Edit: I like the idea of putting Orlov in that spot. He does have a cannon and his shot is MUCH better than his pass, so you definitely want 74 in Green's spot.

Probably not, but they do need a second unit that can do more than waste 60 seconds, and I rather like the idea of being able to mix it up Left vs. Right to exploit certain PKers or goalies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Is there anyone who could man Ovie's spot on PP2 and be effective? (Obviously not as effective, but enough so he's not playing the whole PP.) With the compressed schedule due to the Olympics plus the Games themselves, it's so much hockey in the next 7 months before we even get to the playoffs. They need to manage his ice.

Kundratek mans that spot in Hershey and got spot duty there last year. Fehr is also an option, and has seen time there in the pre-season.

My personal preference would be Green, actually. Let Carlson man the top of the formation and let Green fire his one-timers and nasty writers from the left circle. He's probably the best fit stylistically and skill wise to pick up Ovie's slack over there.

If we were to run an inverted second unit, Grabovski would easily be my choice for the right circle "inverted Ovie." We don't have as many RH playmakers to work along the left boards, though. Though, if they actually went to a more fluid PP formation that would be less of a big deal (ie, have Fehr and Grabo at the two circles and Erat/Perreault down low with Ward/Wilson in the slot).

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Oates is probably well aware he could use an Oates, a RH C. With his obsession for balance, it's probably a given. We don't have any RH passers unless you consider Ovi a distributor.

Give Fehr time ;)

I am intrigued at an inverted brella but think its easier to try a different formation. Who is our inverted Ovi - our big left cannon?

I think MJ has a great shot but not so much off side one timers.

MiSe

Dec 10, 2010
Grabovski would man Ovi's spot on the inverted, his shot is really that good.

Laich would play the middle I imagine, with Orlov out top on Green's spot.

Who's playing down low on the left and manning the half wall is the real question.
The half wall and goal line spots on an inverted would have to be two of Fehr, Ward, Wilson or Carlson. I don't see any of these as Backstrom/Erat/MoJo quality passers.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I am intrigued at an inverted brella but think its easier to try a different formation. Who is our inverted Ovi - our big left cannon?
Grabovski or Orlov. But, as I mentioned, it doesn't have to be as biased of a formation as we employ with Ovechkin. They could actually set it up to reverse the play back and forth like many teams do with the 1-3-1. Have more balance with shoot/pass options on both sides of the ice.

Assuming it's unit #2, then have Grabovski and Fehr at opposite half-boards. Have whoever is left of Perreault/Johansson/Erat manning underneath the goal line. Have Laich/Ward/Wilson in the slot, and have Carlson up top.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Backstrom can do one timers he just refused to do them. He was being tough and going to the net and shooting one timers in the KHL and then became a perimeter player who refused to shoot in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad