GDT: Hawks @ Caps - 9/20/13 @ 7 PM - It's Toews world and we're all just living in it.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
All hail to the 2nd greatest NHL player, Jonathan Toews! His intangibles make up for never scoring 33, 40, 50, or 60+ goals or 77, 80, 90, 100, or 110+ points in his career.

alex-ovechkin-goal-against-blackhawks.jpeg

Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps

Likely lineup for #caps tonight:

90-19-8
25-16-42
Burakovsky-Taffe-Wilson
Stoa-Latta-Rechlicz

27-74
81-36
4-Carrick

Neuvy, Leggio

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Mike Vogel ‏@VogsCaps

Likely lineup for #caps tonight:

90-19-8
25-16-42
Burakovsky-Taffe-Wilson
Stoa-Latta-Rechlicz

27-74
81-36
4-Carrick

Neuvy, Leggio

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I don't get sending Galiev down and keeping Rechlicz.

He looked good enough to get a strong shot at the top 6 in Hershey but not even remotely close to sniffing the NHL yet. The thinking process was probably the faster he gets there [Hershey] and begins to blend in with the team the better chance he has at getting one of those spots. Probably a smart move for his development. :)

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Preseason tough guy is pretty much the only reason we're keeping McPhee around. Let him take care of it.

Nowhere in my post did I state I agree with dressing tough guys, just noting reality.

Bigger question, why dress a player, Nathan Walker, who is unable to be signed to an NHL contract for two preseason games when you could have been evaluating a draft pick before sending him back to juniors or a player you have under contract and expect to have playing in Hershey? (for example, Deschamps and Leblanc who were recently cut, but didn't play in a preseason game or another game for someone else)

Liberati0n*

Preseason tough guy is pretty much the only reason we're keeping McPhee around. Let him take care of it.

McPhee vs. Chicago locker room round 2 tonight? I hope so.

sk84fun_dc said:
Nathan Walker

I guess there's no real upside to it. Giving him the exposure also may increase the likelihood of another team drafting him this year. Maybe they're considering a Hershey contract? It makes no sense and has an even worse effect on their chances of keeping him, but it could be an explanation I guess.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Or it's an attempt to foster some good will in hopes that he'll sign here next year (assuming he gets passed over again). :dunno:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Or it's an attempt to foster some good will in hopes that he'll sign here next year (assuming he gets passed over again). :dunno:

Again, the only part I take issue is playing him in preseason games when they should be evaluating their players; rookie camp invite, great, rookie scrimmage, great, main camp,, great. One would think that on its own would garner plenty of goodwill.

Obviously, management and coaches don't have the same view that I do.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I keep forgetting about Grabovski, he's been in DC since Tuesday practicing, the Caps camp started Thursday and they started playing Saturday, so it isn't not enough practice.

I'd rather they test Grabovski with you know, his linemates so they can figure that out rather then figure out if Fehr can play center.

Liberati0n*

I was going to add that too, but I guess I figure they plan on trying to take him with a later pick if they really want him. Unless they're sure no one else will take him, I guess.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah those guys are competing for the same job...

Recker and McPhee competing for the same job?

I am confused.

My money is on McPhee. Recker will be playing up to the fans as George rips his jacket off a la the Incredible Hulk, and then breaks Recker's toothpick in half on top of his Jaffe Joffer.

jaffakjoffa.jpg

I said, Laich is a center

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I was going to add that too, but I guess I figure they plan on trying to take him with a later pick if they really want him. Unless they're sure no one else will take him, I guess.

Could be, though if you think he'll last to the late rounds you might just take the risk that he won't get drafted (guys getting passed over twice aren't necessarily huge risks to get taken their third time through, even if he's opening eyes now, I would think).

Eh, who knows. It's a moderately interesting wrinkle that's adding some spice to the preseason. Even if it's not optimal asset management I can live with it.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Again, the only part I take issue is playing him in preseason games when they should be evaluating their players; rookie camp invite, great, rookie scrimmage, great, main camp,, great. One would think that on its own would garner plenty of goodwill.

Obviously, management and coaches don't have the same view that I do.

Oh, I don't disagree. I don't think good will should be worth that much when you're talking about someone like Walker, even if you do think it'll have an impact on him. I don't care all that much either way, though. In my mind the AHL guys should be known quantities at this point in their careers so I doubt it's costing them that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad