Hawks camp in Sweden

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Djurgården have realeased the list of players who will attend the Blackhawks/Djurgården camp in Sweden next week.

http://www.difhockey.se/artikel/5736/

I'll probably go there next, don't know if there will be something interesting to report or not. But if it is. I will let you know.

Good to see the Blackhawks and Djurgården taking the first step to an NHL team and a european team working together.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Wow the names on that list... that is a prospect camp to see. Much better than the Hawks prospect camp.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...except for a few Hawks NA prospects like Radke,it is mostly a summer training prep camp for euro-based players of the Hawks system plus a few other euro-based (home in europe) players from other NHL orgs who will then train with Djurgardins players and some Rockford prospects like Hartman and Hinostrozza, ...Did Rockford sign Oscar Eklund or is he just trying out for a spot now in the Hawks organization or Djurgardins team ?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Well...except for a few Hawks NA prospects like Radke,it is mostly a summer training prep camp for euro-based players of the Hawks system plus a few other euro-based (home in europe) players from other NHL orgs who will then train with Djurgardins players and some Rockford prospects like Hartman and Hinostrozza, ...Did Rockford sign Oscar Eklund or is he just trying out for a spot now in the Hawks organization or Djurgardins team ?

Eklund is a free agent with Djurgården connection. Probably the reason he is there. Giving him a place to train.

I was suprised to see William Nylander there.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yeah, If I lived in Sweden, I'd definatly be checking that out. If you do end up going, keep us in the loop!

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Surprised Rundblad is participating.

And those names I concur.. wow.

And 26-year old Tikhonov, although maybe this adds to the thought that Tikhonov was brought in to do more than play on the ice - also to shepherd Panarin.

I like that Nylander is there. He is an elite prospect and it will be a good challenge for the Hawks prospects to see how they match up against him.

Also pretty cool that maybe Dano, Panarin (and others) can get to know each other a little bit and get a head start on building on-ice and locker room chemistry.

Isn't it nice to discuss hockey again.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Interesting. I don't know if it states it in the article, but why are the Hawks teaming with a euro team for some prospect training?

Also, it's cool to see Dano attending both our prospect camps. Seems like he really wants to get out there and get better.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Interesting. I don't know if it states it in the article, but why are the Hawks teaming with a euro team for some prospect training?

Also, it's cool to see Dano attending both our prospect camps. Seems like he really wants to get out there and get better.

I thought I read somewhere that it has something to do with the number of camps that prospects can attend is limited but having it in Europe somehow gets around that restriction.

Someone please check me on this.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

The president of hockey operations at Djurgården, KG Stoppel, said in an interview a year or so ago that they had a choice. To see the NHL teams as enemies, or team up with them. And he wanted to do the later. And he had a few teams in mind.

And Djurgården and Chicago seemed to get along pretty good. I spoke to Stoppel myself six months ago and he said Djurgården had been trying to get Peter Regin from the Hawks all season, but you guys didnt want to let him go. But Stoppel spoke highly of Chicago and said he had a good relationship with them. I assume Hawks fit Djurgården pretty good with a lot of players on your team and in your prospect pool with Djurgården connection.

I guess this pro camp is the first step towards an NHL team and a european team working together to some extent.

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava

Most of us fans are sure that Dano has fixed spot in the roster next season but he thinks slightly different as he said he has to work on it and it includes prospect camps participation.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Most of us fans are sure that Dano has fixed spot in the roster next season but he thinks slightly different as he said he has to work on it and it includes prospect camps participation.

Yes, it speaks well of Dano that he is striving to get better and not taking anything for granted. Hated to lose Saad, but so far from everything I've seen Dano has been impressive.

I hope Panarin is taking the same approach this summer. It would be human nature for him to downshift a bit after his team won the Gagarin Cup, he signed with the Hawks and he was a key player on the Russian WC team - that's pretty heady stuff and could easily lead the player to sit back and enjoy the summer a little too much. Hopefully he had his fun time and is now training like a fiend to be ready for the NHL.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Yes, it speaks well of Dano that he is striving to get better and not taking anything for granted. Hated to lose Saad, but so far from everything I've seen Dano has been impressive.

I hope Panarin is taking the same approach this summer. It would be human nature for him to downshift a bit after his team won the Gagarin Cup, he signed with the Hawks and he was a key player on the Russian WC team - that's pretty heady stuff and could easily lead the player to sit back and enjoy the summer a little too much. Hopefully he had his fun time and is now training like a fiend to be ready for the NHL.

I watched an interview from awhile back for SKA in Russian with subtitles from Tikhonov. He basically said Panarin is a real hard worker and is always trying to get better. He sets a great example for the lockerroom. Something along those lines.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched an interview from awhile back for SKA in Russian with subtitles from Tikhonov. He basically said Panarin is a real hard worker and is always trying to get better. He sets a great example for the lockerroom. Something along those lines.

I didn't mean to imply Panarin was lazy or wasn't a hard worker - I've seen that interview with Tikhonov too. I meant more along the lines of similar to players on the Stanley Cup winning team often have to try to slog through the "Cup hangover" the following season, so too might player on SKA after they won the Gagarin Cup. Added to that for Panarin is signing with the Hawks and playing a prominent role on the Russian WC team and that's a lot of "mountain top experience" to come down from and then have to get back up for.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Kinda disappointed TT isn't going to be at the Pro Camp. Would love to have him center Panarin and Dano at the Camp and maybe build some chemistry so Q would want to take a look at it on the Hawks ... but there's always training camp next month.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I didn't mean to imply Panarin was lazy or wasn't a hard worker - I've seen that interview with Tikhonov too. I meant more along the lines of similar to players on the Stanley Cup winning team often have to try to slog through the "Cup hangover" the following season, so too might player on SKA after they won the Gagarin Cup. Added to that for Panarin is signing with the Hawks and playing a prominent role on the Russian WC team and that's a lot of "mountain top experience" to come down from and then have to get back up for.

Ah got it. I think it helps that the Gagarin Cup was over in April and the Worlds were done in May. Defiantly gives alot more time to refocus and start training for the upcoming season. Wouldn't be surprised/hopeful that Panarin comes in to camp in phenomenal shape

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Ah got it. I think it helps that the Gagarin Cup was over in April and the Worlds were done in May. Defiantly gives alot more time to refocus and start training for the upcoming season. Wouldn't be surprised/hopeful that Panarin comes in to camp in phenomenal shape

Not to mention, neither of those championships can compare to a Stanley Cup.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I guess this pro camp is the first step towards an NHL team and a european team working together to some extent.

Blackhawks have had this camp for several years, but with Södertälje. I believe Mats Hallin(Hawks scout) started it up, so "his" team Södertälje was a natural fit. But them being a tier 3 team now probably didn't cut it, it makes more sense to hold the camp together with a SHL team. The idea ought to be the same, though.

NHLers in the Stockholm region have usually joined to get some ice time before heading over to NA, so don't be shocked if guys like Kronwall, Oduya, Landeskog and Hörnqvist participate.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Blackhawks have had this camp for several years, but with Södertälje. I believe Mats Hallin(Hawks scout) started it up, so "his" team Södertälje was a natural fit. But them being a tier 3 team now probably didn't cut it, it makes more sense to hold the camp together with a SHL team. The idea ought to be the same, though.

NHLers in the Stockholm region have usually joined to get some ice time before heading over to NA, so don't be shocked if guys like Kronwall, Oduya, Landeskog and Hörnqvist participate.

Carl Hagelin is supposed to participate three of the five days.

Have you sent prospects of the level of Hartman/Dano etc to train with SSK in the past? The Södertälje fans I have spoken to about Nylander/Hagelin participating haven't mentioned anything about them used to team up with the Hawks before.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Carl Hagelin is supposed to participate three of the five days.

Have you sent prospects of the level of Hartman/Dano etc to train with SSK in the past? The Södertälje fans I have spoken to about Nylander/Hagelin participating haven't mentioned anything about them used to team up with the Hawks before.

Not that I remember. That's what makes this camp so interesting for Hawks fans - that players who are expected to make the Hawks roster will be there. Panarin, Dano, Tikhonov and Rundblad are almost guaranteed to be on the team and Nordstrom, Gustafsson, Hartman and Rasmussen will all probably get some games with the Hawks during the season if they don't make the team out of training camp.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Barry Smith was leading the practice today. Dano is an exceptionel player. I really like Hartman too.

It was great to see the Djurgården players really giving there all against the best Chicago players.

I don't really know what to tell about today. The played for 90 min and around 30 players was involved. Most of my time was spent trying to figure out who everyone was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad