GDT: Hawks @ Avs |3/18/2013| 7pm | To Tank or Not to Tank, is the question?

avspatti

Dec 1, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
Protest idea.

We as fans seem to have little power in this Avs situation. BUT, we have the power of the purse! What we need to do is decide on a home game and agree that NONE OF US WILL ATTEND. Let's make a protest here! Let's discuss, decide, spread the no-attend date all around the web. See what happens if we all stick to our decision. The management does need us. Let's see if we can be proactive and force their hand with regard to Sacco, getting better players on D, etc. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. :help:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Curious, what is your issue with Sherman?

The fact that he see's an incompetent defense and goes out to sign Greg Zanon and extend Shane O'Brien. O'Brien I don't have a problem with if this defense actually had, you know, defenseman; it doesn't, so he is forced to play a major role when he's a 3rd pairing guy. When your team is bad, you do everything possible to improve it, you don't just look for the same old mediocre guys, that won't cut it. If it had to come down to trading Stastny+ for a legitimate defenseman than so be it, make the move.

Then there's the fact that he does not see fit to fire Joe Sacco, when in reality the evidence is right in front of his eyes every game that this team plays

Then, its the absolute absurdity that he does not hesitate to give David Jones 4 million per season over the course of 4 years yet didn't exactly think about re-signing Peter Mueller or even THINK of giving that kind of money to Ryan O'Reilly

Now, granted the man has made a lot of great moves. I for one like the Johnson trade because it filled a need. I loved the Downie move as well as the McGinn move, and he managed to get a 2nd out of John-Michael Liles while he was likely at his peak value wise. Also, the Parenteau signing is an absolute steal and thank god this CBA is different from the NFL's or Parenteau might be asking to restructure and demand a raise lol

Part of me wants to believe that this is Lacroix calling all the shots, then part of me believes that this is Sherm the Worm from Accounting who made the moves. Either way, it stinks. Since nobody knows for sure who calls the shots, and GM's are put in the spotlight, he is the obvious scapegoat, but everyone knows that GM's don't make the decisions final. It has to go up to the President, Director of Hockey Op's, Owner etc but I think its just a mismanaged team all around

Congo Jack

is a big fat mess.
Jun 28, 2011
Candy Apple Island
We as fans seem to have little power in this Avs situation. BUT, we have the power of the purse! What we need to do is decide on a home game and agree that NONE OF US WILL ATTEND. Let's make a protest here! Let's discuss, decide, spread the no-attend date all around the web. See what happens if we all stick to our decision. The management does need us. Let's see if we can be proactive and force their hand with regard to Sacco, getting better players on D, etc. Nothing ventured; nothing gained. :help:

You'd need to tell the opposing teams fans, as they are the only ones actually there.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This year's Avs are done like dinner. Third game in a row that they've been scored on in the first five minutes, and it's all downhill from there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Or, as hard as it may be, all actually agree to go to a game and then cheer for the opposition all night long, and keep the trend going, along with fire sacco chants. Unfortunately I can't join; I'm in Edmonton so have at er boys :laugh:

I was supposed to go to the Feb 16th game vs the Oilers and had 1st row tickets right behind the Avs bench; I had a paper bag ready and an all white shirt with black printing that read:

Kroenke: Please Sell
Lacroix: Please Retire
Sherman: Please Resign
Sacco: Go Away

Unfortunately, I had to be in Calgary that weekend for a surprise event. However, if this continues next season with the same misguided management, I will be doing this every time the Avs come

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The fact that he see's an incompetent defense and goes out to sign Greg Zanon and extend Shane O'Brien. O'Brien I don't have a problem with if this defense actually had, you know, defenseman; it doesn't, so he is forced to play a major role when he's a 3rd pairing guy. When your team is bad, you do everything possible to improve it, you don't just look for the same old mediocre guys, that won't cut it. If it had to come down to trading Stastny+ for a legitimate defenseman than so be it, make the move.

Then there's the fact that he does not see fit to fire Joe Sacco, when in reality the evidence is right in front of his eyes every game that this team plays

Then, its the absolute absurdity that he does not hesitate to give David Jones 4 million per season over the course of 4 years yet didn't exactly think about re-signing Peter Mueller or even THINK of giving that kind of money to Ryan O'Reilly

Now, granted the man has made a lot of great moves. I for one like the Johnson trade because it filled a need. I loved the Downie move as well as the McGinn move, and he managed to get a 2nd out of John-Michael Liles while he was likely at his peak value wise. Also, the Parenteau signing is an absolute steal and thank god this CBA is different from the NFL's or Parenteau might be asking to restructure and demand a raise lol

Part of me wants to believe that this is Lacroix calling all the shots, then part of me believes that this is Sherm the Worm from Accounting who made the moves. Either way, it stinks. Since nobody knows for sure who calls the shots, and GM's are put in the spotlight, he is the obvious scapegoat, but everyone knows that GM's don't make the decisions final. It has to go up to the President, Director of Hockey Op's, Owner etc but I think its just a mismanaged team all around

Could not agree more. How Sherman can still have supporters when this defense is as much of a travesty as it is, Sacco is still employed, and he let an offer sheet ruin the salary structure he was willing to sacrifice the entire season to preserve, I have no idea. If the EJ trade ends up going bust, look out.

The only thing that keeps me from wanting Greg From Accounting gone is the fact that Papa Lacroix will just plug in another crony he can manipulate. The culture needs to change if we have any hope of this club regaining its lost greatness.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Could not agree more. How Sherman can still have supporters when this defense is as much of a travesty as it is, Sacco is still employed, and he let an offer sheet ruin the salary structure he was willing to sacrifice the entire season to preserve, I have no idea. If the EJ trade ends up going bust, look out.

The only thing that keeps me from wanting Greg From Accounting gone is the fact that Papa Lacroix will just plug in another crony he can manipulate. The culture needs to change if we have any hope of this club regaining its lost greatness.

While I agree the the most part, Sherman hasn't been good, but he hasn't been horrible either. I know we said that this year would be the make or break it year for the Avs, but if it's any consolation it's a shortened season with some positives. As long as Sacco gets fired, we bring in a coach with experience, and shore up our defense, i'll be content.

First year with gamecenter, and i'm finding myself more excited to watch Pens games then Avs games (for obvious reasons). Watching Avs games is like a chore, or doing homework with the exception of a few games.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
While I agree the the most part, Sherman hasn't been good, but he hasn't been horrible either. I know we said that this year would be the make or break it year for the Avs, but if it's any consolation it's a shortened season with some positives. As long as Sacco gets fired, we bring in a coach with experience, and shore up our defense, i'll be content.

First year with gamecenter, and i'm finding myself more excited to watch Pens games then Avs games (for obvious reasons). Watching Avs games is like a chore, or doing homework with the exception of a few games.

We don't accept mediocrity from players and coaches, we shouldn't accept it from front office executives either.

Personally I don't think he's been horrible either, but I believe he's been pretty bad. Not as incompetent as Giguere is about the one definitive thing you can say about him.

A lot of the coups this team has made in the draft and free agency are also due in part to a great scouting staff, a staff put together by Rick Pracey. That's why I think he should be the guy in charge, even though he's a Lacroix guy. He's also the only guy Lacroix seems to leave alone to do his job, which is saying something.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

See but that's the thing, this team ilkely isn't going to do any of that stuff. Since inception in 1996, when is the last time this organization hired anybody with experience and was from outside the organization? Joel Quenneville? He's the only one, and he was originally a part of the organization. I am a huge advocate for Sacco going but I know exactly what is going to happen, either David Quinn gets the job or they promote the coach from the AHL. Same old garbage over and over and over again; the only reason we're realizing it now is because we were treated for so many years to the Sakic's and Forsberg's and Foote's and Roy's and Blake's and Hejduk's and Tanguay's of the world that they more than made up for whether or not the coach was a competent one. Now? Not a chance, and this team is being exposed

Then, there's the defense issue. We have (in my mind) one top pairing defenseman in Johnson, one second pairing defenseman in Barrie, and two third pairing defenseman in Wilson and Hejda, along with a potential 2nd pairing defenseman in both Siemens and Elliott up and coming. The rest are all a bunch of 944th pairing defenseman and Hejda doesn't have much longer either. Do we really trust management to go out and get some defenseman? It'll likely have to be through trade because there aren't any free agent defenseman this year, and it feels like they don't want to make a trade.

I just have no faith at all in Pierre Lacroix because it seems evident that he is calling the shots, and he has been absolutely dreadful in the salary cap era for this team, its time to move on

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
not saying i would expect it to happen, but if the kroenke's decided to sell, would there be suitable buyers interested keeping the team in denver?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
not saying i would expect it to happen, but if the kroenke's decided to sell, would there be suitable buyers interested keeping the team in denver?

I imagine any potential buyer would also have to buy the lease to the Pepsi Center, so I don't see the team moving. And Wellington Webb interceded the last time the teams were up for sale and forced whatever owner bought the Nuggets and Avalanche to sign a written agreement saying they would not move the team. Two potential buyers actually walked away under that condition. I remember Donald Sturm was so close to buying the team they even held a presser with him holding up an Avalanche jersey.

I would hope Michael Hancock would do something similar if needed. Hell, I could see Governor Hickenlooper getting involved if the situation became dire.

One thing I wonder--would the Kroenkes be able to sell the Avalanche and keep the Nuggets at the same time?

Mind you, I don't want them to sell--I think they would be much better owners if they'd just shake their blind faith in Lacroix.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I am not mad about any fan behavior.
How do you expect a casual fan to react to this organisation?

We are probably the most hostile and fanunfriendly organisation in thee league. Our decisionmakers never answer to the fans, we never get any updates on anything, the Avs are not being advertised that much ( can only judge from hearsay), and our whole organisation thinks it is bigger than the fans despite being a complete trainwreck.

Hell I live in Europe and always want to go to an Avs game but right now maybe even I would pass ( OK I would not if I was there but I sure as hell am not planning a trip and spend thousands of dollars only to see them play like this).

The play does not really make me that mad. We are a rebuilding team. But management decisions make me very very mad.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Zanon's 'defense' on the 2-5 goal was fantastic. Back off, back off, "oh hi Varly", I'll just move to the side. Goal. Exit right.

He went full Milford man on us, allowing Toews every bit of ice he would ever want.

2j47wxg.gif

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Did I seriously hear a "Let's Go Blackhawks" chant for a prolonged period of time or was I already asleep and dreaming that?

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Duchene looks like a star most of the time, still tries unrealistic moves sometimes to attempt to split the D rather than get a safe shot on net and a faceoff.

Agree, disagree? Did I get everything? :laugh:

We have too many players on this team that float the puck on net. I'd rather Duchene try to be creative and turn the puck over deep rather than do what everyone else on this team does.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm done with Stastny. Guy plays with no passion at all.

EJ hasn't looked good post-concussion.

IMO we don't have the wingers now, or in the future to really field a top 9. Best to consolidate and go with a typical top 6/bottom 6 setup. Give the first 2 lines 20 minutes, the 3rd 13-14, and the 4th 6-7.

So basically dump Jones and Stastny for this starting next year:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
_____ (Clowe signing?)-Malkin-Palushaj
McLeod-Malone/Olver-Bordy

It is solid enough to make the playoffs (with a stronger defense), but it would be nice to be stronger at the #3C and one more top 6 wing (replacing Downie or McGinn).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if Roy scaring them into playing better is a good solution. They are already admitting that they have no confidence and that they are scared to make mistakes.

Sacco is probably a pretty scary guy.

I think Sacco handcuffs the team (makes them play a specific system) and throws benchings around like candy (except with Hunwick/Zanon/ROB) to the point where everyone thinks they have to follow that crappy dump and chase or they won't play for 5-10 minutes at a time. Flat out Sacco is a desperate coach at this point and all of his 'teachings' are not getting through. A team will never win when they start to tune out the coach.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Fourth straight game of a save percentage well under 90% for Varlamov. He is just so streaky, but then again our team is a flaming bag of crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad