GDT: Hawks @ Avs |3/18/2013| 7pm | To Tank or Not to Tank, is the question?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
- I don't know if it's Sacco or the players but this team just never seems to be ready at the start of a game

- somebody should tell O'Byrne that he is allowed to throw big hits against other teams too

- this Hejda isn't even close to the Hejda that played so well with Barrie

- I feel sorry for Varlamov. No matter how many good saves he makes he will give up 3+ goals because the defense is just that bad

- loved Rycroft's analysis in the 1st intermission. Wonder what his bosses thought about it because it wasn't exactly the usual Altitude sunshine and rainbows stuff

Its a mixture of both but more so Sacco. I mean, if this team can get up to end the Hawks streak, why can't they get up to end their own losing streak against those very Hawks who stated that they wanted revenge? Sacco doesn't do a good job preparing the team but it also doesn't help when guys like Stastny, Jones, Zanon, O'Byrne etc either are unmotivated or play like absolute crap game in and game out (I'm looking at you, O'Beardy)

RingsOfS4turn

Mar 5, 2013
IMO yesterday's loss was not so much because of a lack of talent (we showed the hawks that we can keep up with them in previous battles) but a lack of on ice positioning. I really analyzed yesterday's matchup and realized that the avs are doing the same amateur defensive mistakes that my minor does from time to time. For example, both wingers in the defensive zone were NOT covering their point men, instead they were attracted to the puck thus leaving chicago's defensemen completely open on the blue line to recieve passes and make plays. Down low in the corners the center man was not supporting his defenseman, only watching.

Do you guys think Lindy Ruff could get these boys to play better defensive hockey in their zone?

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
IMO yesterday's loss was not so much because of a lack of talent (we showed the hawks that we can keep up with them in previous battles) but a lack of on ice positioning. I really analyzed yesterday's matchup and realized that the avs are doing the same amateur defensive mistakes that my minor does from time to time. For example, both wingers in the defensive zone were NOT covering their point men, instead they were attracted to the puck thus leaving chicago's defensemen completely open on the blue line to recieve passes and make plays. Down low in the corners the center man was not supporting his defenseman, only watching.

Do you guys think Lindy Ruff could get these boys to play better defensive hockey in their zone?

Yes, but the chance of Ruff coaching this team is about 1% because he doesn't already have ties to the organization and the Avs seem to like the whole promote from within philosophy

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Maybe, yes, but I think just about any coach would. As a recent Post article cited, one such example of the defense not being on the same page was Hejda dropping it along the boards for O'Brien, only that O'Brien was way over in the opposite corner. Kane promptly picked up the gift puck and centered it for an easy goal. The defense clearly has no chemistry right now, no confidence, and playing with no organization whatsoever.

The longer this season drags on, the less confident I am in Quinn's ability as an NHL head coach. Right now the way this defense is playing is on him as much as it is Sacco.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Hate to break it to you, but a well run NHL team does not have their wingers stick to the other team's defenders nor does their center always hang down low with the defense. I'm a coach of a kids team and I sometimes catch myself applying the same things I teach to the Avs, but they are just meant to be shown to players that aren't as skilled so there is a best case scenario plan.

A well run NHL team shifts on ice responsibilities on the fly all the time. The defender might be at their own blue line while the puck is deep in their own zone because the winger was the first guy back, they will shift when possible. Four guys may be used down low and one rover up high... in fact I taught that to some of my kids and we lost in the championship game to a way better team because we played a good team game up to that point.

Reality is, Sacco isn't just hurting our team but he's hurting the fan's knowledge of the game trying to understand his methods.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad