Post-Game Talk: Hawks allegedly win 2-1 in Vancouver, can't prove because WGN WGN'd it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 7s
#Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews said he just had the wind knocked out of him on the Alexander Edler hit. He's fine.

Didn't he make up some BS excuse like that when he decided to play with a concussion in the playoffs a couple years ago? Not saying that's the case here but I'll never take Toews' word for it when it comes to stuff like that. The dude's a gamer but he needs to reel it back sometimes.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Didn't he make up some BS excuse like that when he decided to play with a concussion in the playoffs a couple years ago? Not saying that's the case here but I'll never take Toews' word for it when it comes to stuff like that. The dude's a gamer but he needs to reel it back sometimes.

The replay was a clear shot of a cross check to the lower back. Why do you think it was a concussion?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN 14m

No update regarding Marian Hossa, who returned to Chicago for a "family matter." #Blackhawks

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The longer it goes without specifics about Hossa's family matter, the more and more concerned I get about the severity of the situation....

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
WGNTV @WGNTV

24th November 2013 from TwitLonger

How Saturday night's Blackhawks game got "Heidi'd." An explanation: At 11:32 pm Saturday night during a particularly tight and exciting Chicago Blackhawks-Vancouver Canucks game on Channel 9, for reasons yet to be determined, our vendor in Canada suddenly cut our signal. Numerous attempts were made to reach said vendor, but no one picked up the phone on their end. Thus, WGN was forced to air a slate and audio-only feed of the remainder of the game, which was won by the Hawks. Ironically, unfortunately, coincidentally, this happened almost 45 years to the day of the famous "Heidi" football game incident on NBC: http://*******/lr0Yls We sincerely apologize for viewers unable to finish the game, and will do our best to avoid similar incidents in the future.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
The last 30 seconds of the game I believe.

That sucks, especially in such a close game.

By some of the comments I've seen it wouldn't have surprised me if you guys missed more than half of the 3rd period. :laugh:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
That sucks, especially in such a close game.

By some of the comments I've seen it wouldn't have surprised me if you guys missed more than half of the 3rd period. :laugh:

Yeah it wasn't much. But at the same time....WGN again. Everytime theres a problem with a Hawks broadcast it seems to be their games.

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
The replay was a clear shot of a cross check to the lower back. Why do you think it was a concussion?

Wow, I thought I covered my bases here by clearly stating I wasn't saying that it was more than just getting the wind knocked out of him in this instance...

I just don't trust what Toews says when it comes to his health. He'll always say he's fine.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It'll never go anywhere, since it's primarily a CW affiliate (unless that up and folds).

But I'm about ready for them to be done with local sports.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Well I was wrong...we did show up to play and compete for an entire game for a change..And CC played one if not the best game for him of the season so far...and 2 and 7 also had one if not the best defensive game they have displayed to date this season..STILL. ..despite ALL THOSE VERY GOOD THiNGS, we barely eked out a 1 goal win thanks not to any of our stable of star forwards on the first 2 lines who could not score any goals...but rather to the grints...Shaw and Kruger...so call me a glass half empty guy because to me it was a checkmark for VAN that they stymied our big stars into a FAIL when we see other teams and their stars give VAN all kinds of scoring to beat them..In other eords our TEAM DYNASTY was held to meh offensively in supposedly another statement game..Yes we put a statement on SJ out of the WC contenders..but if we cannot dominate STL, COLORADO, ANAHEiM and good heavens...barely beat VAN despite some of the best efforts by previous slackers and a top effortvfrom CC..then this is hardly an endorsement ofhow good we are supposed to be even if we compete hard.. SO again the chiclen vs. egg issue: To play good defense for a change, it looks like we sacrificed offensive effort..or VAN's defensive effort was too stiff a wall for our talent to break through? In other wUTords...hardly the victory of a dynasty team. The level of excellence required to blow VAN or any "good team" out of the building is a level of 2 way play where you can beat a rival by several goals..not just by one goal..So hardly anything to gush about.. Wake me up when WE can put an Av's like 5-1 licking on these supposed contenders or even those teams like VAN who are not even at the top of the heap. Of course I am not complaining about the win...BANK THE POINTS must always be the first objective..BUT a one goal eke-out is hatdly cause to get giddy about..we Still need lots to improve on.

It's good to see that it is more important to focus on the fact that we didn't win decisively instead of focusing on the fact we won a tough road game against a decent team.

Your whole thread (which I admit I haven't read completely as it's basically unreadable) is basically a complete waste of time.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Roszival's been pretty bad this year. He's making slow, poor decisions and that was his biggest strength last year. He wasn't quick, and he's still not, but he made smart, quick decisions with the puck.

At this point, Brookbank is an upgrade on Roszival but Kostka's probably an upgrade on both.

You gotta be kidding me with this garbage. I agree Roszival hasn't been that great, especially compared to last year but even at his worst he's better than Brookbank on defense.

zac

Apr 29, 2009

I didn't think it was that, rather the hard slash to the shins he took as a spiraled to the ice. With the way he skated off the ice I was sure it was his shin, but I guess it was the cross check that dinged him.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
EVUgKGe.jpg

No wonder we couldn't do anything in the first :sarcasm:

Nice catch.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
In this game, yes.

Our play down low is generally fine, but where we get into trouble is the lack of forward extension at the perimeter. Once the puck gets there, be it on the PK or at ES, our forwards migrate back and create a cluster**** in front of the net. This does several things. One, is that there is WAY too much space for the pointmen to walk up shots, zip cross ice passes, and maneuver with the puck. Two, is that there is way too much traffic in front of the net, making it difficult for Crawford to see the puck. Last but not least is the higher likelihood that a garbage goal, whether it be off a tip or a rebound, will be scored.

In the third this was a major problem and it nearly cost us the game. It is also (by far) the number one reason our PK is pure and utter ********* this year. What makes it even more mindnumbing is that we don't have a glut of great shot blockblocking forwards, rather a glut of fast, agile forwards that are great with their sticks. Why collapse when you can pressure the puck and make better use of your skill set? Further more we are NOT a great team in terms of clearing the puck in front of our net. The way I see it is this strategy plays right into our weaknesses rather than our strengths.

By and large, especially this year, our defensmen have done a tremdnous job with their in-zone coverage and play around the net (Seabs and Leddy in particular are >>>>). Our forwards have also done a pretty good job through the neutral zone and attacking pucks along the boards. But once and if that puck gets to the point it all goes to ****. Frolik was one of the few players that seemed to understand it's importance.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
That was easily the best game of the year to watch from my perspective. The great ice in Vancouver often leads to very fast paced action, which is what we saw tonight (or at least I did :)). I thought the Hawks played a very good, smart game outside of a few areas. Although Shaw had the big tip in he had several inexcusable gaffes starting with the penalty that led to the 5 on 3, and ended with that brutal icing when he lazily chipped in 4 feet short of center. The other negative that stuck out was the number of times we tried blind, drop-back passes with the lead in our offensive zone. The LAST thing you want to do with a lead is make these kinds of decisions as they can easily leady to odd-man breaks going the other way. Other than that I thought our overall game was great.

Obviously Crawford was the player of the game as he was outstanding from start to finish. I thought our entire defensive corps played a really good game (outside of some half ass clears in the 3rd) and our forwards were very good in transition and through the neutral zone. I haven't looked at the stats yet, but it seemed as if we dominated the dot; Kruger in particular looked good on faceoffs (winning the draw that eventually led to the GW goal). Smith was also a player that stuck out (as others have mentioned) as he made some great defensive plays.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Our play down low is generally fine, but where we get into trouble is the lack of forward extension at the perimeter. Once the puck gets there, be it on the PK or at ES, our forwards migrate back and create a cluster**** in front of the net. This does several things. One, is that there is WAY too much space for the pointmen to walk up shots, zip cross ice passes, and maneuver with the puck. Two, is that there is way too much traffic in front of the net, making it difficult for Crawford to see the puck. Last but not least is the higher likelihood that a garbage goal, whether it be off a tip or a rebound, will be scored.

In the third this was a major problem and it nearly cost us the game. It is also (by far) the number one reason our PK is pure and utter ********* this year. What makes it even more mindnumbing is that we don't have a glut of great shot blockblocking forwards, rather a glut of fast, agile forwards that are great with their sticks. Why collapse when you can pressure the puck and make better use of your skill set? Further more we are NOT a great team in terms of clearing the puck in front of our net. The way I see it is this strategy plays right into our weaknesses rather than our strengths.

By and large, especially this year, our defensmen have done a tremdnous job with their in-zone coverage and play around the net (Seabs and Leddy in particular are >>>>). Our forwards have also done a pretty good job through the neutral zone and attacking pucks along the boards. But once and if that puck gets to the point it all goes to ****. Frolik was one of the few players that seemed to understand it's importance.

completely agree that we aren't taking advantage of the strengths of our forwards on the pk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad