Confirmed with Link: Hawks acquire Versteeg

CertainAffinity*

How's everybody feeling about Steeg 2.0's play thus far?

I'm not impressed. He hasn't been terrible, but he's hardly been an upgrade. We could probably be getting the same performance out of Morin on the 3rd line right now, and for less than 2.2 million.

Hopefully it's just a combination of still getting over his knee injury and getting re-adjusted to the Hawks system. Would like to see him on the PK eventually as well.

But for right now... he's just there.

Colonel X

The Kentucky Colonel
Nov 16, 2013
Louisville

I'm not impressed. He hasn't been terrible, but he's hardly been an upgrade. We could probably be getting the same performance out of Morin on the 3rd line right now, and for less than 2.2 million.

Hopefully it's just a combination of still getting over his knee injury and getting re-adjusted to the Hawks system. Would like to see him on the PK eventually as well.

But for right now... he's just there.

Pretty much agree. There seemed to be a slight influx of energy those first couple games from him, but now he's....as you say....just there.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You can tell he's missing half a stride at the moment, which isn't surprising. I think he's gotten some nice looks, but he's still not 100% and probably won't be until next year. Still love the trade.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He doesn't handle the puck like a grenade like Morin, and makes quite a few nice passes that I havent seen Morin make too many of. His stride isnt there, but he has been good defensively and created chances quite a bit. Well worth 2.2, and he can only improve his leg strength from here.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005

They're still beating the Panther bad habits out of him.

CPHawksFan

That's Hockey Baby!!
Jun 17, 2011
Crown Point, IN
He looks a little lost at times...like he doesn't know where he should be...but he also makes some nice passes in the offensive zone...and the puck seems to find him for some decent scoring chances...I think his production will pick up as the season goes on.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
at times he had really strong games when the puck always found him but he wasn't lucky enough to put up some pts. In the end our record since we aquired him is still really good

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Think about the other "bad" contracts in the NHL, realistically there's no way Versteeg can have a "bad" contract anymore. Even if he sucks he'd still be a good 4th liner. Fantastic trade by mr. Bowman. Fantastic

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Pretty much agree. There seemed to be a slight influx of energy those first couple games from him, but now he's....as you say....just there.

Yeah, me too, but after an injury like KV suffered it takes time get back to form.... but it is his shooting percentage that has taken a hit since his last stint here. That needs to improve. He has had a few glorious chances and couldn't get the job done. We already have enough guys shooting blanks these days.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I have been ok with Versteeg on this return

I really want to see Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg down line

Overall at 2.2M for next 2 years ,, Nothing bad to say because he is fine role player and that price is solid price for role player

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Thought overall he had a mostly good game tonight despite being thrown haphazardly into the 2C role and was pleased he was .500 on the dot.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Noticed Jimmy Hayes played about 9mins last night for the Panthers.

However, Dylan Olsen is looking OK over there, he was probably the centrepiece of the deal for the Panthers.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I wish both of them well. Good to see them go somewhere where they have an opportunity to play. I think both will ultimately be solid NHL players.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
hayes notched his 3rd yesterday.

This trade has an opportunity to be a win win for both fan bases.

The kids are getting opportunities they wouldn't with your talent level.

Versteeg doesn't have to be a 2 way star with y'all.

Wishing Kris well.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Was really happy for Versteeg to get that goal last night. I'm sure his return to the Hawks has not been as great as he or us as fans wanted it to be, but hope his contribution last night can spark things for the rest of the playoffs.

When I made the Game 5 GDT with those old Canucks series videos I noticed that Versteeg had goals in both Game 6s against the Canucks in 2009 and 2010 and hoped he would come through again in this series and he did. And on his birthday to boot. :clap:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Very important piece of forward depth. He doesn't have to be anything other than a flexible depth forward for this team. Still happy we traded for him

Sharp1024*

Yes, I agree. Versteeg is a solid asset do to his flexibility. He will not score many goals, but he will gave Hawks good line flexibility.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Sign Iginla while trading away Versteeg? that makes no sense. That would be stupid.

Versteeg is a good guy and still liked by the team. You won't get much better players for 2.2 a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad