Confirmed with Link: Hawks acquire Versteeg

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Versteeg and cash for Olsen and Hayes is a good, well-balanced trade in theory. But what throws it out of balance is the AMOUNT of cash Florida is eating and the TIME left on Versteeg's deal. Versteeg for 3 years and 6.6 million is a steal. An even trade would have involved higher quality prospects or Florida eating less money.

The Florida fans on this thread should be upset with Tallon for not getting prospects with better upside in this deal. For example: Morin, Svedberg, Johns, LeBlanc, Broadhurst, Dahlbeck, or one of those goalies (who I think are better than given credit for).

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Olsen's upside is higher than Dahlbeck and Svedberg's and as high as Johns'. He had a setback last year, and fell behind a couple guys in the depth chart and with so many similar players in the Hawks system (even outside of Johns, Dahlbeck and Svedberg), Olsen became a player that could be parted with if a deal came along and obviously, one did.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Olsen's upside is higher than Dahlbeck and Svedberg's and as high as Johns'. He had a setback last year, and fell behind a couple guys in the depth chart and with so many similar players in the Hawks system (even outside of Johns, Dahlbeck and Svedberg), Olsen became a player that could be parted with if a deal came along and obviously, one did.

My impression is that within the Hawks system, all three (Dahlbeck, Svedberg and Johns) were among the "couple guys" that Olsen "fell behind" in the depth chart. I'm no expert, but my impression is that Johns is a puck mover with some offensive ability, Svedberg is a giant who can make life difficult in the mold of Chara or Myers, and that Dahlbeck is another one of those Swedes who just plays a really solid game. All three seem to have top four potential while Olsen is about the same player we saw a couple years back before the Oduya deal, which is to say a 6-7 defenseman on a mediocre team.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken and I have overrated the upside of these three, but I feel pretty confident in my opinion of Olsen, who seems like a much slower, less competitive, less physical, more mistake-prone version of Brent Seabrook, and with a vastly inferior slapshot to boot.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Hayes got his first goal of the season on friday. Good for him. Hope he can stick with the Panthers for the rest of the season.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Versteeg is going to help us more than those 2 prospects who both got a look during their time here. Jayes couldn't make it and Olsen has too much infront of him on the Depth Chart

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Now we can stop using those dumb nicknames to differentiate between Kevin and Jimmy Hayes. Got to think it was one of the reasons management got rid of one of them.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
Kevin is the better Hayes anyway. I'm not entirely sure why the Hawks traded for Jimmy, other than Stan's "collect ALL the brothers!" kick that he was on for a bit.

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
My impression is that within the Hawks system, all three (Dahlbeck, Svedberg and Johns) were among the "couple guys" that Olsen "fell behind" in the depth chart. I'm no expert, but my impression is that Johns is a puck mover with some offensive ability, Svedberg is a giant who can make life difficult in the mold of Chara or Myers, and that Dahlbeck is another one of those Swedes who just plays a really solid game. All three seem to have top four potential while Olsen is about the same player we saw a couple years back before the Oduya deal, which is to say a 6-7 defenseman on a mediocre team.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken and I have overrated the upside of these three, but I feel pretty confident in my opinion of Olsen, who seems like a much slower, less competitive, less physical, more mistake-prone version of Brent Seabrook, and with a vastly inferior slapshot to boot.

Agree with your assessment of Svedberg(a project who still has a lot to learn)and Dahlbeck(a possible Hjalmarson clone).Johns however is not really a puck mover.He is more of a SAH physical dman who makes life miserable for opponents.He skates fairly well and is good at getting the puck to his forwards but he isn't going to carry it up the ice too often.As a comparison think a Seabrook moreso then a Keith(tho not at their level).Going to look good on Hawks D in a couple of yrs.Keith/Seabrook,Leddy/Hammer,Clendenning/Johns

wladyslaw

Aug 19, 2013
Kevin is the better Hayes anyway. I'm not entirely sure why the Hawks traded for Jimmy, other than Stan's "collect ALL the brothers!" kick that he was on for a bit.

agree- Kevin is way better skater than Jimmy. I don't even think Kevin will sign w Hawks. There are a bunch of guys ahead of him at this point + brother is gone.

also, Dahlbeck is a very good,smart, D-man who is developing nicely... the guy is ripped to! Scoring way better than ever expected at this point. Johns is a BIG hitter/eraser on back end. + they drafted 3 more Swede D-men... if just one of them pans out- there was never going to be room for Olsen- who just seems a little slow upstairs! And Hawks prefer smart overachieving players (Saad, Shaw, Kruger, Nordstrom, etc.)

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
They need to find a way to make it where the team you're drafted by owns your rights completely. If you want to go elsewhere, sign a deal and request a trade. Atleast let the team that drafted you have an opportunity to acquire assets. Its just a joke that players can find a loophole to not sign and go elsewhere. Its either sign your ELC or don't play in the NHL, simple as that.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I don't know if Kevin is going to sign with the Hawks, but I don't think he won't sign simply because Jimmy was traded.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

Johns is a physical force that can move the puck and has some offensive upside. Svedberg plays nothing like Chara or Myers - and Myers and Chara aren't comparable players outside of their size. Your description of Dahlbeck is accurate. He does a lot of things well, without necessarily standing out in any particular way.

I would say Johns and Dahlbeck have top-4 potential, while Svedberg would be more of a #5.

Your description of Olsen seems based on his play from a couple years ago. His skating and decision making have improved a lot and he's always been a physical player. He's rebounded from a bad 2012-13 and has re-established himself as a quality prospect.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I love this deal for the Hawks. I really wasn't big on Olsen, and Hayes looked little more than average during his stints with the big club, so they were very expendable, especially with the new wave of prospects deepening the pool, figuratively shoving those two to the bottom. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the salary is paid for. ;)

The only real weakness is our right wing pool, which will hopefully fill out by the time the guys lying in wait come up to the big club.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL

I like Jimmy Hayes. I thought he could have served the same roll that Byfuglien did with us. He's a good skater for his size. And although - like Byfuglien - you wish he'd play a little more to his size, I don't think he was a cream puff. I think Bickell, Shaw and Bollig have emerged nicely and reduced the Hawk's need for that kind of player. They now have more of the physicality they need without compromising speed. I think Morin will fit well in that respect too.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
Johns is a physical force that can move the puck and has some offensive upside. Svedberg plays nothing like Chara or Myers - and Myers and Chara aren't comparable players outside of their size. Your description of Dahlbeck is accurate. He does a lot of things well, without necessarily standing out in any particular way.

I would say Johns and Dahlbeck have top-4 potential, while Svedberg would be more of a #5.

Your description of Olsen seems based on his play from a couple years ago. His skating and decision making have improved a lot and he's always been a physical player. He's rebounded from a bad 2012-13 and has re-established himself as a quality prospect.

I almost put Simon Danis-Pepin in the sentence with Chara and Myers in order to accent that I wasn't really comparing the players except in the sense that they are very large humans who can make life difficult with their giant reach. Obviously, you are talking about very different upsides. I didn't mention Danis-Pepin because I didn't want to remind myself or others of him.

I saw Olsen with the Icehogs a few times in the last year and didn't see any development in his game. It's not to say you are wrong, but just that my fallible eyes didn't see it. Given that I am a big fan of Niklas Hjalmarsson, I'm really excited about Dahlbeck. That kind of defenseman wins hockey games.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How has versteeg played since rejoining the hawks? And what line is he playing on?

He's been touch and go, but I believe he has 4pts in 5 games.
He has been playing with Shaw and a revolving door on the left side and only getting 11-12mins of ice time.

Once we are healthy, he will line up with Bickell and Shaw. I won't start judging him until late in the hockey year after he has time to gel with Bickell and Shaw and get used to the new systems and get over last years injury.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'd give him a B- so far. I know he can play better but he is definitely playing a lot better than he was in Florida, based on their reports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad