Confirmed with Link: Hawks acquire LaBarbera from EDM

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
He was decent last year. Why should Stan assume he was going to regress?

He wasn't fine last year and he's like 40.

Tim Thomas is pretty old too, yet better.

Khabby has been regressing since the first lockout.. His last "elite year" was when he won the Cup with Tampa Bay.

Remember he was in Edmonton for the last 4 seasons and Edmonton picked 1st overall 3 of those seasons. Now, obviously that wasn't entirely Khabby's fault but he wasn't "fine", "adequate" or "good."

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
We should have just resigned Ray Emery - that Crawford/Emery tandem was pretty good...

The decision to let Emery go be a starter (which he hasen't done) on a horrible Philly team was not the best decision Stan made...

I like this move tho. All the Hawks need is someone with NHL experience that's not 40.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Emery didn't want to come back. He wanted the chance to earn a starting job, to earn more in the long run if he had a good year as a starter. You can't put that on Stan, that's asinine.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
no harm no foul signing. don't see why anyone is giving this move a hard time. we have some injuries in net, and will likely need the help in Rockford and briefly up here. if we did nothing at all there would be an outcry.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Emery didn't want to come back. He wanted the chance to earn a starting job, to earn more in the long run if he had a good year as a starter. You can't put that on Stan, that's asinine.

absolutely.

the guy wanted a chance to be a #1 again, something we couldn't offer.

I did LOL at us lighting him up like a Christmas tree though..our team made his numbers look a little bit better then they would have anywhere else last year! and this year he hasn't played like a #1 though that team in Philly has been an up and down mess.

fine with the way things have worked out as we have some young netminders getting ready to contribute more over the next few seasons.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

I think Stan wanted that for him, I think both were on the same page and neither position worked out for either of them.

GM's signings don't always work out - I know that - but Khabby was an obvious fail.

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia
I think Stan wanted that for him, I think both were on the same page and neither position worked out for either of them.

GM's signings don't always work out - I know that - but Khabby was an obvious fail.

They weren't on the same page.That would mean Stan wanted him to start and that just aint so.There was no chance he was getting a chance to start in Chicago.The Hawks were willing to pay his asking price,but only as a backup.He wanted to start and took less for that opportunity.Ironic how it turned out!!

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
They weren't on the same page.That would mean Stan wanted him to start and that just aint so.There was no chance he was getting a chance to start in Chicago.The Hawks were willing to pay his asking price,but only as a backup.He wanted to start and took less for that opportunity.Ironic how it turned out!!

How do you know? do you personally know Stan or Ray?

I think Emery's record indicated he was ready to be a starter again and Bowman without question had Crawford pegged as his #1.

You do the math there.

I highly doubt Bowman even made Emery an offer, it was quite clear he was going to start somewhere.

krazyhawk

Jan 9, 2006
Montreal/Nova Scotia

I think Emery's record indicated he was ready to be a starter again and Bowman without question had Crawford pegged as his #1.

You do the math there.

I highly doubt Bowman even made Emery an offer, it was quite clear he was going to start somewhere.

How do you know they were on the same page.Were you there? Works both ways.And you just said the same thing as me.Emery played like a #1,wanted to be a #1 and wasn't going to be a #1 in Chicago.Not seeing your argument here,but tks for making mine for me.:)

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
How do you know they were on the same page.Were you there? Works both ways.And you just said the same thing as me.Emery played like a #1,wanted to be a #1 and wasn't going to be a #1 in Chicago.Not seeing your argument here,but tks for making mine for me.:)

Which is why (if we're going to use logic here) the parting of ways was mutual.

It's quite clear in hindsight that both made the wrong decision.

I suppose replacing Emery with Khabby made matters worse...

I'm just not understanding Bowmans goaltending strategy.... Thank God Raanta is playing well and rebounded nice from that shalacking in Toronto...

LandofLincoln*

You do the math there.

It wasn't about Stan making an offer. You hit it on the head. It was about Emery maximizing his shot at being a #1

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Which is why (if we're going to use logic here) the parting of ways was mutual.

It's quite clear in hindsight that both made the wrong decision.

I suppose replacing Emery with Khabby made matters worse...

I'm just not understanding Bowmans goaltending strategy.... Thank God Raanta is playing well and rebounded nice from that shalacking in Toronto...

Chicago didn't have a decision to make, it was all Emerys. IIRC, Chicago made him an offer quite similar to the one Bulin got, but Emery wanted no part of it.

There was nothing mutual about the parting, CHI wanted him back, he wanted to be a starter somewhere.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I didn't like Khabibulin to be signed by Bowman but it was going to be him or a much less accomplished backup which would probably be more, or at least equally, as frustrating since the Hawks are still in a window.

Look at the goalies that swapped teams, it's a bad list.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Khabby made a lot of sense back then. He knows the team and city, we know him and we all knew that he is done and will get injured and be out starting december. It happened a bit earlier than that but Raanta was the backup since we signed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad