Confirmed with Link: Hawks acquire LaBarbera from EDM

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=695920

The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have acquired goaltender Jason LaBarbera from the Edmonton Oilers, in exchange for future considerations. LaBarbera will be assigned to the Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League.
LaBarbera, 33, has appeared in seven games this season with Edmonton, posting a 1-3-0 record with a 3.28 goals-against average and a .870 save percentage. He has also earned a 0-1-1 record with a 1.93 goals-against average and a .953 save percentage in two appearances with the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL.

The Burnaby, British Columbia, native has seen action in 182 career National Hockey League games with the New York Rangers, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Phoenix and Edmonton, registering a 60-73-19 record with six shutouts, a 2.86 goals-against average and a .907 save percentage in those games. LaBarbera was named the AHL’s Most Valuable Player during the 2003-04 season and is a two-time winner of the Baz Bastein Trophy (2003-04, 2006-07) as the AHL’s Best Goaltender.

HawkinMI

Mar 24, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Guy isn't really an NHL goaltender anymore. We're all going to hate this if he ends up being another Q veteran mancrush and they send Raanta down when Crawford is healthy.

But for now I can understand that they want to give Raanta some rest.

Edit: Nevermind, just read he'll be assigned to the AHL. Probably just to give Rockford another option while their two starters are with the Blackhawks.

member 151739

What? Why him?

Last edited by a moderator:

LandofLincoln*

Guy isn't really an NHL goaltender anymore. We're all going to hate this if he ends up being another Q veteran mancrush and they send Raanta down when Crawford is healthy.

But for now I can understand that they want to give Raanta some rest.

Edit: Nevermind, just read he'll be assigned to the AHL. Probably just to give Rockford another option while their two starters are with the Blackhawks.

I didn't interpret it like that at all. This guy is below Simpson on the depth chart, but could possibly be a #4. If anything this is to give Rockford a chance in goal because we have taken Raanta & Simpson.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
It sounds like this is just a depth move and could mean that Khabibulin is either done, or he doesn't want to play in Rockford when he gets healthy. Raanta has been good enough that I don't see any reason for him to go back to Rockford. He and a healthy Crawford would make a nice tandem.

LandofLincoln*

AHL stability move

We've got some posters here that act like Bowman's job is just to manage the Blackhawks.

His job is also to fill out the AHL roster and make sure they are close to .500 and competing for the playoffs.

Remember each NHL team is allowed 50 contracts. My point is this is a non Chicago Blackhawk move to keep stability in Rockford.

Stan's secondary or thirdary (made up that word) focus is trying to keep Rockford building and winning. It's hard to field a young offensive team and give them no hope in net. So this just gives them a better goalie.

LandofLincoln*

I'm hoping we don't give Edmonton a draft pick, but we end up trading something like Nordstrom just so Q can't use him.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
This was to get Rockford a starter. Pretty clear statement that Khabibulin's done and Raanta's the backup for the rest of the season.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Depth move that cost nothing and won't matter unless we have 3 injured goalies.

Fine by me.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Figured they would go after a goalie like that, I think hes better than Bulin, and wouldnt mind giving him a few starts. I think Raanta would be better off being #1 in RFD when Crawford is healthy.

LandofLincoln*

Figured they would go after a goalie like that, I think hes better than Bulin, and wouldnt mind giving him a few starts. I think Raanta would be better off being #1 in RFD when Crawford is healthy.

How I see it.

1. Crawford
2. Raanta solidified as the backup
3. LaBarbara will give Raanta rest as the Hawks play 3 games in 4 nights
4. Simpson will be sent to Rockford tomorrow and retain the #1 spot in Rockford.
5. Khabibulin is being shopped and will be traded just to lose his salary. We may have to give up a pick and take an AHL contract to lose his salary.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
How I see it.

1. Crawford
2. Raanta solidified as the backup
3. LaBarbara will give Raanta rest as the Hawks play 3 games in 4 nights
4. Simpson will be sent to Rockford tomorrow and retain the #1 spot in Rockford.
5. Khabibulin is being shopped and will be traded just to lose his salary. We may have to give up a pick and take an AHL contract to lose his salary.

There's no reason to do that. They can bury him in Rockford and save $925K, which is what Raanta makes so it's an even trade off. If he doesn't want to go to Rockford, then he retires and they won't pay him what's left on the deal.

CertainAffinity*

I wouldn't be shocked if Labarbera backs up Raanta. Simpson is still too green for NHL play.

Either way, once Crow comes back, I think he's AHL 4 LYFE.

w00d

Remember the Roar
Oct 14, 2011
Chicago Stadium
There's no reason to do that. They can bury him in Rockford and save $925K, which is what Raanta makes so it's an even trade off. If he doesn't want to go to Rockford, then he retires and they won't pay him what's left on the deal.

The way things seem to be falling into place (esp. since Q keeps saying he is "a ways off" and not rehabbing yet) I am expecting him to stay on LTIR all year. That way his cap hit is off the books, and he still gets paid. I don't think he wants to play in Rockford but I could see him being loaned to a KHL team. Like you said, it's the same cap hit either way if they go with him or Raanta. I'd take Raanta.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Are there cap implications if Khabby straight up retires? Does the 35+ rule still exist thus keeping his cap

Can he and Hawks agree to go thru with unconditional waivers and he just retires thus eliminating cap hit?

CertainAffinity*

Are there cap implications if Khabby straight up retires? Does the 35+ rule still exist thus keeping his cap

Can he and Hawks agree to go thru with unconditional waivers and he just retires thus eliminating cap hit?

Yeah, I think we still take the cap hit.

Which is why it would be smarter to try and keep him on LTIR for the rest of the season. It would make for a pretty fun game of trying to keep the doctors away from him :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad