Confirmed with Link: Hawks acquire Anthony Beauvillier from Vancouver for a '24 5th

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
About 2/3 of NHL players were drafted in the first three rounds. The remaining four rounds and undrafted players (that account for about half the remaining number) are fighting for the remaining scraps.

For fun, best 5th round picks in Blackhawks history:
Andrew Shaw - 5th round (139th overall) in the 2011 NHL Draft
Marcus Kruger - 5th round (149th overall) in the 2009 NHL Draft
James Wisniewski - 5th round (156th overall) in the 2002 NHL Draft
Kyle Calder - 5th round (130th overall) in the 1997 NHL Draft

No pick is invaluable but obviously some picks are more valuable than others. Aside from those, it's basically a graveyard of players nobody's heard of. Isaak Phillips on the current roster was a 5th round pick, we'll see where he goes from here. Nice thing about Beauvillier is with the Hawks remaining retention slot, he can likely be flipped for a higher pick at the deadline for a higher pick where he could have some value to somebody as a depth guy
Fun fact: Only one 5th round draft pick has ever scored 1000 points in the NHL. Alexander Mogilny. Jamie Benn has a chance as well, but I’m unconcerned since finding a superstar in that round is so damn low.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Fun fact: Only one 5th round draft pick has ever scored 1000 points in the NHL. Alexander Mogilny. Jamie Benn has a chance as well, but I’m unconcerned since finding a superstar in that round is so damn low.

Not even finding a superstar. Finding an actual NHL player to even play on your 4th line has extremely low odds. Most guys taken that late will never sniff more than an AHL lineup, with maybe an emergency/injury callup for a couple games in the NHL. A good chunk of them will be hard-pressed to ever make it off their CHL and USHL teams.

Reactions: Hakoon

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sweating over trading a fifth rounder is akin to being upset over losing a lottery ticket before a drawing. Sure, you may have lost something of value.... but no, you almost assuredly did not.

And even if they find a quality player with that pick, the odds that we would've taken the exact same player there are infinitely tiny.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
The trading away every single semi-useful player for whatever draft picks you can get is not feasible and will not work. Sometimes you need to bring actual players in and keep them around for more than a minute, most draft picks take forever to develop if they ever do. And anyone butt hurt about giving up a 5th round pick needs to get a grip, geez.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Sweating over trading a fifth rounder is akin to being upset over losing a lottery ticket before a drawing. Sure, you may have lost something of value.... but no, you almost assuredly did not.

And even if they find a quality player with that pick, the odds that we would've taken the exact same player there are infinitely tiny.
It's more the problem of not having the foresight to sign more players in free agency.

Reese Johnson made the opening night roster.

The reality is, KD didn't bring in enough capable bodies.

Team should've been in a position where they'd be fine if there were injuries. Which were bound to happen anyway since Hall had history and Perry is 38.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's more the problem of not having the foresight to sign more players in free agency.

Team should've been in a position where they'd be fine if there were injuries. Which were bound to happen anyway since Hall had history and Perry is 38.
What's the point? The point was for Chicago to be bad for another year. Who gives a shit about a 5th?

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
What's the point? The point was for Chicago to be bad for another year. Who gives a shit about a 5th?
You can still be bad and bring in actual NHL players. Our bottom 6 as it stands doesn’t make any other NHL roster. At the very least for next year, they need to bring in help for Bedard. It hurts to say but I agree with Musto. Don’t care about the 5th though.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

You guys have a very weird Reese Johnson and Mackenzie Entwistle fascination. They are 13th/14th forward plugs that make nothing and come with no commitment. They are all over the nhl in these capacities. It’s fine. The Hawks are still tanking and staying flexible down the road.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You can still be bad and bring in actual NHL players. Our bottom 6 as it stands doesn’t make any other NHL roster. At the very least for next year, they need to bring in help for Bedard. It hurts to say but I agree with Musto. Don’t care about the 5th though.
They did. Our bottom 6 last year was just as bad. I still don't see the point in bringing in more help this past offseason.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You can sign NHLers in the offseason and still tank. I'm not calling for them to sign any superstars lol.

The point is that they gave up a 5th because they f***ed up in the offseason.

It doesn't matter if the 5th holds little value. You shouldn't hand them out for free because of poor planning. That's the kind of thinking that leads to greater mistakes in the future.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You can sign NHLers in the offseason and still tank. I'm not calling for them to sign any superstars lol.

It doesn't matter if the 5th holds little value. You shouldn't hand them out for free because of poor planning. That's the kind of thinking that leads to greater mistakes in the future.
The question is why? They had enough NHLers at the beginning of the year. You can't predict losing 2 of them for the season 20 games in. The future is independent of right now, completely different circumstances.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The question is why? They had enough NHLers at the beginning of the year. You can't predict losing 2 of them for the season 20 games in. The future is independent of right now, completely different circumstances.
Reese Johnson isn't an NHLer.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

This literally doesn’t make sense. I read it three times and don’t understand your point. Like what.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site

Amen. I for one am completely ashamed that Kyle Davidson didn't have the foresight to know that Taylor Hall would tear his ACL and Corey Perry would have his contract terminated because of an off-ice incident. To add insult to injury, he had to trade away a potential top pairing defenceman (thats what my foresight tells me that 5th is going to be) because of it. He should be fired.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
That 5th is on the move again, oddly enough Calgary might get their own pick back…lol

Attachments

• 80DDDF3D-11E2-4688-8740-7F548B88CF35.png
    80DDDF3D-11E2-4688-8740-7F548B88CF35.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 6

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
So not that it’s a huge deal but why has Davidson traded two 2024 5th conditionally based on which ever is the better of the two they have…Chicago’s and Calgary’s…how can this be possible? How do they decide who gets the better?

Attachments

• 55169487-9913-46BA-B74E-641C4ADD88DE.png
    55169487-9913-46BA-B74E-641C4ADD88DE.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 5
  • B6CD8E37-9CD7-4E0D-AE57-2709E96B4E14.png
    B6CD8E37-9CD7-4E0D-AE57-2709E96B4E14.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad