Have we seen the best of Sidney Crosby?

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Okay so I'm trying to think as rationally as I can for this thread, though the subject makes it easy to think irrationally. I've watched Crosby for years and years, and he is my favourite player. I think his absolute prime being cut short by injuries is a huge shame, and that he has been robbed of 3-4 Art Ross and Hart trophies, severely hurting his legacy so far.

I think most Pens fans would agree that Crosby turned a corner in November 2009. That month he just seemed to "put it all together" and became far and away the best player in the league. He became a dominant, complete offensive player while being very good defensively even while paired with some pretty terrible linemates.

For the next 200 games after November 2009, Sid produced at a 1.67 point/game clip, good for 135 points over 82 games. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would have surpassed 130 points in 2010/11 had he remained healthy. To me, that year was his absolute peak. It was a joy to watch him create scoring chances on every shift and carry the team on his back with his dominance.

And then, of course, the injuries happened. Right when he was playing the best hockey of his career. I watched him closely after he came back from the concussion/s, but he just hasn't seemed like the same player as before. I think this has been very accentuated especially this season - he is only on pace for 115 points rather than the 135 pt pace he sustained for so long prior to this year.

And more importantly, Sid just doesn't look right. He isn't as engaged in the play, his board play and explosiveness are weaker, his timing and shot isn't quite right, and he isn't generating or finishing as well as he used to.

My biggest hope after he got these injuries is that Crosby would put up that "one" full dominant season, where he scored 130+ points like he is capable of. That would shut up the naysayers who say he couldn't have done it if he was healthy, and will cement his legacy because it will prove what he was capable of if he didnt have injuries.

But my biggest fear at this point is that it's too late to do that. Obviously Dupuis hasn't been great but Crosby just has looked really bad by his standards. And I'm not sure whether its an extended slump or if this is the beginning of a slow decline for him, combined with the lingering impact of his concussion.

If you look at analyses, it's been shown that elite scorers peak between 24-26. Crosby is 26 now so it's quite possible that he is at the beginning of a decline. Further, look no further than Patrice Bergeron to see the effects of a concussion on a player, even after they have "healed." It's quite possible that crosbys reflexes and vision and coordination and cognitive functions are slightly worse, and it's being reflected in his play.

Like I said this may sound irrational but it's my biggest fear for Crosby.

So what do you guys think. Have we seen the best of Sidney Crosby? Has he peaked and suffered negative effects from the concussion? or will he come back and surpass his 2010/11 form? Will he get that one dominant season of 130+ points or has the ship sailed?

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Okay so I'm trying to think as rationally as I can for this thread, though the subject makes it easy to think irrationally. I've watched Crosby for years and years, and he is my favourite player. I think his absolute prime being cut short by injuries is a huge shame, and that he has been robbed of 3-4 Art Ross and Hart trophies, severely hurting his legacy so far.

I think most Pens fans would agree that Crosby turned a corner in November 2009. That month he just seemed to "put it all together" and became far and away the best player in the league. He became a dominant, complete offensive player while being very good defensively even while paired with some pretty terrible linemates.

For the next 200 games after November 2009, Sid produced at a 1.67 point/game clip, good for 135 points over 82 games. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would have surpassed 130 points in 2010/11 had he remained healthy. To me, that year was his absolute peak. It was a joy to watch him create scoring chances on every shift and carry the team on his back with his dominance.

And then, of course, the injuries happened. Right when he was playing the best hockey of his career. I watched him closely after he came back from the concussion/s, but he just hasn't seemed like the same player as before. I think this has been very accentuated especially this season - he is only on pace for 115 points rather than the 135 pt pace he sustained for so long prior to this year.

And more importantly, Sid just doesn't look right. He isn't as engaged in the play, his board play and explosiveness are weaker, his timing and shot isn't quite right, and he isn't generating or finishing as well as he used to.

My biggest hope after he got these injuries is that Crosby would put up that "one" full dominant season, where he scored 130+ points like he is capable of. That would shut up the naysayers who say he couldn't have done it if he was healthy, and will cement his legacy because it will prove what he was capable of if he didnt have injuries.

But my biggest fear at this point is that it's too late to do that. Obviously Dupuis hasn't been great but Crosby just has looked really bad by his standards. And I'm not sure whether its an extended slump or if this is the beginning of a slow decline for him, combined with the lingering impact of his concussion.

If you look at analyses, it's been shown that elite scorers peak between 24-26. Crosby is 26 now so it's quite possible that he is at the beginning of a decline. Further, look no further than Patrice Bergeron to see the effects of a concussion on a player, even after they have "healed." It's quite possible that crosbys reflexes and vision and coordination and cognitive functions are slightly worse, and it's being reflected in his play.

So what do you guys think. Have we seen the best of Sidney Crosby? Has he peaked and suffered negative effects from the concussion? or will he come back and surpass his 2010/11 form? Will he get that one dominant season of 130+ points or has the ship sailed?

He's looked bad? He's on pace for 116 points. I'd say that's pretty good. I don't see ANYTHING that would suggest he's declining.

I'd like to see these statistics. Do you have a link?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Obviously it would have been nice if he didn't get hurt and would have gotten over 130 points. But to me, it's all about just staying healthy. The more years that go by with him playing full seasons the more we will forget about the couple of seasons he was hurt. That's all it comes down to.

He may not have multiple 130+ point seasons , but he will continue to put up 110+ for years to come. It's all about staying healthy and that's it. Give him a solid winger to replace dupuis and we could see him approach 130 each year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Him winning the Art Ross with an anchor(for half the season atleast and probably the full season) on his RW would mean he's still on top of his game for me.

He could also still finish with 50+ goals still.
I predict just under 50 though but you can never count the guy out on anything.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Crosby was on pace for nearly 150 points this season before the Dupuis factor set in. Dupuis is absolutely killing that line by:

1) converting a very small pct. of golden chances (there are many);
2) killing offensive zone time by mishandling simple passes, being behind the play, winning only a small pct. of foot races and board battles;

He is an absolute liability at the moment and it is honestly painful to see in person. Crosby can turn an above average player in Kunitz into an All Star. Give him a 2nd winger who isn't playing like a human boat anchor and that line would play at a completely different level with significantly more offensive zone time (among other things). A lifetime ban on any shifts with Adams would be another step in the right direction.

Fire Shero*

It's not a slump, it's not a decline, it's playing with Dopee. Seriously, it is almost like he has to play shorthanded most times he steps foot on the ice with that idiot.

Crosby reminds of me Brady, sure Brady had Randy Moss for a little bit, but for the most part, his receivers suck and he is still living off those Super Bowls from 9 years ago. Granted Brady has only really missed one season due to injuries. But imagine if Brady had a full arsenal of receivers.

Just imagine Crosby with 2 capable wingers. Insane. Ooo the possibilities. **** Shero.

I think he will be able to put up 100-115 points as is, but if he played with 2 respectable players he would finish in the high 130's in points, easily.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Considering most NHL forwards peak at age 25-26, then yes we have probably seen the best of Crosby. He has been so far ahead of even the 2nd best player(s), that he can regress and still be the clear #1 player.

For example:

Combining the last 3 seasons: Just look at how much of a lead he has in even strength scoring over the 2nd best (Galchenyuk & Malkin).

Crosby: 4.13 pts/60min
Galchenyuk: 2.85
Malkin: 2.75

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rs&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

You just don't see that kind of dominance when you look at these rates on a per minute basis. About every 3 games, Crosby is scoring a full point more than the 2nd best player. Crosby would tie both OV and Backstrom (Combined) in 5v5 scoring if they played equal minutes!

I catch myself being hard on him from time to time, then I have to do this stuff again to try to visualize how good he really is.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Considering most NHL forwards peak at age 25-26, then yes we have probably seen the best of Crosby. He has been so far ahead of even the 2nd best player(s), that he can regress and still be the clear #1 player.

For example:

Combining the last 3 seasons: Just look at how much of a lead he has in even strength scoring over the 2nd best (Galchenyuk & Malkin).

Crosby: 4.13 pts/60min
Galchenyuk: 2.85
Malkin: 2.75

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...rs&minutes=500&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

You just don't see that kind of dominance when you look at these rates on a per minute basis. About every 3 games, Crosby is scoring a full point more than the 2nd best player. Crosby would tie both OV and Backstrom (Combined) in 5v5 scoring if they played equal minutes!

I catch myself being hard on him from time to time, then I have to do this stuff again to try to visualize how good he really is.

Is that EV or 5 on 5? This season Crosby is at 2.90 points/60 at 5 on 5. Meanwhile, Dupuis is 11th on the team in goals/60 minutes. Let THAT sink in for a moment. He's playing almost exclusively with Crosby and manages to score goals at a lower rate than Megna, Gibbons, Conner, Sutter and Kobasew. He is barely outscoring Glass & Adams (Crosby's 3rd winger).

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

On pace means crap. He could have hit a cold streak that year & can hit a hot streak this year.

Not to mention currently scoring in the NHL is waaayyy down. Sid might score 116 points & there will only be one other 100 point scorer if that.

Disagree. I think you're watching a different Sid.

No one is capable of that in the current NHL.

It shows certain players in the 80's & the early 90's did because it was super easy to score & later became very hard to score.

I don't think he's peaked or is playing worse. You lack perspective on the current NHL compared to years past.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I just did some real quick calculation and with 1104 games played & 2930 goals scored that means the NHL GPG is 2.65

I must have missed something. That can't be right? That's one of the lowest in history. Anyone who is better at math know if that's correct?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I just did some real quick calculation and with 1104 games played & 2930 goals scored that means the NHL GPG is 2.65

I must have missed something. That can't be right? That's one of the lowest in history. Anyone who is better at math know if that's correct?

Without looking at any data, I'd say you are doubling the number of games (2 games for 2 teams). The 2.65 number is per team. 5.30 goals per game (for 2 teams). That's about where the avg has been trending lately.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

did you remember to divide the games by 2? Two teams play in every game. So it should probably be 552 games and 5.3 goals per game. Does that seem right? I didn't look any numbers up, I'm just using yours.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Without looking at any data, I'd say you are doubling the number of games (2 games for 2 teams). The 2.65 number is per team. 5.30 goals per game (for 2 teams). That's about where the avg has been trending lately.

That makes more sense. Last year was 5.307

That puts us at pre-lock out numbers. Jagr was winning scoring titles with around 120 points at this point, around Sid's age so if Sid does win a scoring title with 116 points that pretty impressive.

Last edited:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't think it's safe to say we've seen the "best of Crosby." Obviously he hasn't been as astronomically dominant as he was in the early part of 2010-11 and isn't putting up assists like he was last season, but I really don't think that's due to a decline in his overall play. He's still on pace for the second most points he's ever scored in a season, even in the midst of his regular right winger having a pretty terrible year and tons of games missed by guys who regularly flank him on the power play. I don't think anyone would be shocked to see his points totals go even higher once guys like Letang and Malkin return from their injuries, and especially if they put a more skilled guy like Bennett on the first line in Dupuis' stead.

Moreover, Sid is still only 26. I think we've got a good 5 more years or so to see him in his prime before he starts to decline a bit due to age, provided he can stay relatively healthy.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I voted yes. But my interpretation of this poll was obviously different. To me , yes we've seen the best of him. But there's not going to be a decline. What you see from him now is what we will be seeing for years to come. Like I said above....it's just about staying healthy.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Is that EV or 5 on 5? This season Crosby is at 2.90 points/60 at 5 on 5. Meanwhile, Dupuis is 11th on the team in goals/60 minutes. Let THAT sink in for a moment. He's playing almost exclusively with Crosby and manages to score goals at a lower rate than Megna, Gibbons, Conner, Sutter and Kobasew. He is barely outscoring Glass & Adams (Crosby's 3rd winger).

Last 3 seasons combined, 5v5. You are right though in that his production rate this year has dropped considerably (currently at #4 behind Perry, Ryan, and Kane).

I think if someone knew what was wrong with Duppers, they'd fix it by now. I don't think anyone would have guessed he fall this far and have such trouble shooting.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sid is done we should just trade him whilst he still holds value......

Seriously though, scoring in the NHL is down and to me getting 120 would be impressive. I'd like to see him break his previous records to quieten the haters.

Ally22

Jul 3, 2013
It's reached a point where Crosby is only as good as those around him.
ummmmmm no...

It's pretty much this:

We won't see the best from Sid till Shero get's his head out of his ass and get's Sid his Neal.

Or whenever Dupes gets sent down to the 3rd, whatever. You can not tell me you watch the same games I do and see all those perfect opportunities set up and then die on his stick.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People are near insane in this thread. We've been blessed with every Sid gives. I've think we've seen his best AND some. People will say "Did you see how he got shut dahn in the postseason!??!" Well... the Pens, on their way to Cups, played w/o Mario. The Oilers won a cup w/o Wayne. One player does not make you win the Stanley Cup.

Let's just say this - We are not "wasting" Sid. That's one of the worst arguments i've ever seen.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think they're saying that Crosby is only as good as Dupuis now and that he should be put out of his misery. Bye, Sid, it was fun.

Get the tranq gun.

Seriously, though, get Dupuis away from him, it's getting to be cruelty to Crosbys now. Get the man his Neal, or at least someone who doesn't kill everything.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Two weeks ago I was wondering the same thing. He did have some ****** body language for a minute there. But I think his recent games show he can still be that dude.

Overall, I don't think a ~.1 dip in PPG compared to his career average is all that big of a deal. Hopefully when Bennett comes back he'll get top line minutes and Crosby can really start to rack them up.

My biggest wish this year, since we're always such a crapshoot in the playoffs is an Art Ross for sid. He's had so many stripped away from him like you said. Probably no Hart though, the Caps would be in the same convo as the Sabres and oilers if it wasn't for Ovi.

It might sound a little arrogant, but I'd advise you to watch a few Capitals games and take a look at a certain #19. He plays center on a line with a certain #8. He has as many points as him and he does more stuff on the ice, like backchecking, you know. I'd also suggest watching his goals, most of them are snipes from the "Stamkos-spot" and that #19 dude is the one feeding him the puck most of the time.

Not saying that Backstrom is more valuable than Ovechkin, but my point is that Ovechkin has an elite playmaker to go with his elite shooting skills. Give Crosby an elite linemate and he isn't 13 points ahead of Ovechkin but probably 20 ahead of everybody (except maybe said elite linemate). Without Ovechkin, the Caps would be lower than the Pens would be without Sid, that's for sure, but that doesn't mean he deserves the Hart over Sid. The day Ovechkin turns a 60-point guy into a PPG player that will probably make the deepest Olympic squad ever, you go ahead and place him on front of Sid in the Hart race. Ovechkin isn't even top 3, Crosby, Kane and Price all have been more valuable than Mister Sniper (who is -15 and can't do anything else).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad