Have the Oilers tuned out Hitchcock?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Funny that Chiarelli always makes these gross overpayments to bring in "Character" players, yet the team has literally no mental toughness. What a scam hes conned

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
there should be no surprise the culture has been a losing and mentally weak one and never corrected itself. there's not as much toxicity now hurting the room (even looch said something yesterday about there's no cancer in the room now) but this team still sags too easy and is mentally weak. the talent is unsatisfactory but they should AT LEAST be able to play better and play the right way with some level of effort and preparedness. it's not that they lost games vs the sharks and la regularly.... it's HOW they lose. just no preparedness, effort and so mentally weak.

the thing this team never has is several top 6 vets or top four d men that can lead on the ice and in the room. the core is always young guys. i can see this perpetual suckiness in culture as we continue to burn through "good prospects" if we don't bring in a few solid producing vets to help connor out in both production and leadership.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Funny that Chiarelli always makes these gross overpayments to bring in "Character" players, yet the team has literally no mental toughness. What a scam hes conned
So who exactly has be brought in that's been an overpayment lately?

Brodziak at 1.15mil doesn't actually seem bad considering he's our best faceoff man and one of the top pk guys.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
there should be no surprise the culture has been a losing and mentally weak one and never corrected itself. there's not as much toxicity now hurting the room (even looch said something yesterday about there's no cancer in the room now) but this team still sags too easy and is mentally weak. the talent is unsatisfactory but they should AT LEAST be able to play better and play the right way with some level of effort and preparedness. it's not that they lost games vs the sharks and la regularly.... it's HOW they lose. just no preparedness, effort and so mentally weak.

the thing this team never has is several top 6 vets or top four d men that can lead on the ice and in the room. the core is always young guys. i can see this perpetual suckiness in culture as we continue to burn through "good prospects" if we don't bring in a few solid producing vets to help connor out in both production and leadership.

But I thought Hall was the supreme cancer to this team and trading him was a requirement. I mean we signed Lucic for 6 mil per year to be a leader, so why doesnt he be a leader. In fact, Lucic is one of the biggest losers on the team. He plays with absolutely no passion or fire and sulks all game long

Reactions: dawunderboy

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So who exactly has be brought in that's been an overpayment lately?

Brodziak at 1.15mil doesn't actually seem bad considering he's our best faceoff man and one of the top pk guys.

Lately? Not many

Traded Eberle for Strome because Strome was considered a leader/role player. That has evoprated into nothing
Traded Hall for Larsson because Larsson was seen as a future leader. Is that guy even on the Oilers anymore?
Signed Lucic for a gross overpayment- guy is also literally invisible
Overpaid Russell- Doesnt show much leadership on ice. But youd think we would have the same locekr room issues now after getting rid of all the "cancers"* and brought in vets with "leasership"

*Not actually cancers, scapegoats for horrible GMs building horrible teams

Reactions: dawunderboy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lately? Not many

Traded Eberle for Strome because Strome was considered a leader/role player. That has evoprated into nothing
Traded Hall for Larsson because Larsson was seen as a future leader. Is that guy even on the Oilers anymore?
Overpaid Russell- Doesnt show much leadership on ice. But youd think we would have the same locekr room issues now after getting rid of all the "cancers"* and brought in vets with "leasership"

Strome wasn't brought in to be a leader. Larsson and Lucic maybe. Russell seems quite respected by teammates so ya I don't think that's an issue either.

So really nothing lately.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
But I thought Hall was the supreme cancer to this team and trading him was a requirement. I mean we signed Lucic for 6 mil per year to be a leader, so why doesnt he be a leader. In fact, Lucic is one of the biggest losers on the team. He plays with absolutely no passion or fire and sulks all game long

i never liked the looch signing. i hated the term. i was kind of ok with trying him out for 2-3 years but i had not been enamoured by his play the last couple of seasons before he came to edmonton. i actually do think he was a bit of a problem... yes with his sulking especially last year. not sure how much better it is this year. hard to lead whe you're barely at 3rd or 4th line player. the nhl had passed him by.
just because the culture, while different, has not improved too much towards winning, doesn't mean trading hall was a bad move. should they have traded him a few yrs earlier for potentially more value and to pluck out a problem sooner. yes.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don't see any short term fixes for the Oilers unless they start handing out picks like candy which is truly remarkable on Chiarelli's part. :facepalm:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It has nothing to do with the coach "losing the room." The team has consistently not shown up on a regular basis regardless of whether it's Hitchcock, McLellan, Nelson, Eakins, Krueger, Renney, Quinn, or MacTavish behind the bench. This is entirely on the players.

Its astounding stuff like this keeps getting stated. Outside of half a dozen players this isn't even an NHL lineup given any injuries.

The team is consistently poor. How has that escaped your attention all these years?

Outside of the top 4 players in this lineup there are only 31 goals, all season, in 44GP.

Any opponent shutting down those 4 can expect no worse than 1GA. While being able to fill the net against our weak roster.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
It was a bad idea for Hitch to split up the team when it came to extra practice. It tends to split teams that already have fractures.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lately? Not many

Shows how much you know about hockey and team sports in general.:rolleyes:

Reactions: joestevens29

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It was a bad idea for Hitch to split up the team when it came to extra practice. It tends to split teams that already have fractures.

Well playing McDavid 29 minutes a night in games and then expecting him to be on the ice for every drill probably isn't smart either.

Fact is none of that stuff probably does shit. The supporting cast on this team sucked before Hitch got here and they continue to suck now. Big shock. There's only so much a coach can do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is this the whole sending the big 3 off at the end of practice for the last 1 or 2 drills?

Struds debunked this whole theory. No player is going to have an issue with this according to him. And if they do you are probably looking at moving that cancer anyway.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Its astounding stuff like this keeps getting stated. Outside of half a dozen players this isn't even an NHL lineup given any injuries.

The team is consistently poor. How has that escaped your attention all these years?

Outside of the top 4 players in this lineup there are only 31 goals, all season, in 44GP.

Any opponent shutting down those 4 can expect no worse than 1GA. While being able to fill the net against our weak roster.
What's astounding is how you found a way miss the point I was making to argue a completely different subject, and imply I'm an idiot for missing the obvious. Is my tongue bleeding? Everything tastes irony.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What's astounding is how you found a way miss the point I was making to argue a completely different subject, and imply I'm an idiot for missing the obvious. Is my tongue bleeding? Everything tastes irony.

I'm sorry but when you state "This is entirely on the players" what do you think that means?

This is the entirely of your post that I responded to;

It has nothing to do with the coach "losing the room." The team has consistently not shown up on a regular basis regardless of whether it's Hitchcock, McLellan, Nelson, Eakins, Krueger, Renney, Quinn, or MacTavish behind the bench. This is entirely on the players.

What was your point? Any reader would think you were blaming the players. The players just aren't any good outside of the core group. THAT is the problem, THAT is due to management.

Last edited:

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Organizational culture lost around 15 years ago. Lowe pulled a few rabbits out of the hat so 2006 was a fluke/lightning in a bottle thing. Hit a low when we handed the keys to a kid without the proper support in place. Until that changes it won’t matter who is behind the bench.

Well maybe we are hitting the low now.....Chiarelli really has blown a once in a lifetime opportunity. The Hall and Eberle returns and the give up for Reinhart really are game changers. I will admit I was kind of ok with Reinhart after having watched him play for the Oilkings. I thought he would be as good as Pronger one day. The Lucic signing, the last couple of trades are just peanuts on a giant shit Sunday he is making.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I'm sorry but when you state "This is entirely on the players" what do you think that means?

This is the entirely of your post that I responded to;

What was your point? Any reader would think you were blaming the players. The players just aren't any good outside of the core group. THAT is the problem, THAT is due to management.
The topic of the thread is "Have the Oilers tuned out Hitchcock?" in reference to the team's lack of effort in the game against Los Angeles. My post was referring to that lack of effort in that specific game. My point was it's not on the coach who's to blame for the blatant lack of effort, pointing to the fact that the team has given up early in games for every other coach they've had for the past decade. Players don't have a lot of control over what happens, but their effort level, heart, and a willingness to work through tough times is something they have absolute 100% control over. When push comes to shove, they choose to give up.

It doesn't matter who's on the roster. It doesn't matter who's hurt. It doesn't matter what the GM is doing. It doesn't matter what the media is saying. Every team faces injuries. Every team has roster flaws. Every team faces adversity. There is no excuse to ever quit 5 minutes into the first period. Great teams keep pushing in those moments and don't accept that losing is inevitable. They don't come back and win them all, but at least they give themselves a chance.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Hitch sure has them going huh . We are cursed .Looks like Connor has checked out

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Every team is good enough to play as best as they can. Fans making excuses for them is probably part of their problem.

space321

May 11, 2011
"i know what's wrong with this team and i'm gonna fix it"

- famous last words by hitchcock when he got hired

Reactions: Heavy Dee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad