Have the Oilers tuned out Hitchcock?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Let me preface this by saying that Scotty Bowman couldn’t make anything out of this roster, but it sure looks like the team has already tuned out the coach. Pathetic effort after pathetic effort. Even Connor looks sometimes like he doesn’t care. There was no effort in tonight’s game... it was sorry to see.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
The line up just isn't good enough. They know that. When you don't have a chance what is the point of putting effort in?
Each game is like bringing a knife to a gun fight and hoping McDavid shows up with a mini-gun.

Reactions: HandsUpForBelchior

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Despite Chia's best attempt at trashing our team, they should be playing better as players.
You can't just keep tuning out 100 coaches and pretend it's someone else's problem.
When you're being carried by 3 players, maybe look in the mirror and see that YOU are a problem.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't think it's necessarily about tuning out Hitch. More like they've given up on the season. Maybe Chia's latest couple of dumb trades did that. McDavid can't have been too happy about losing his high school buddy Caggiula for the guy who took out his collarbone *intentionally*. Having Klefbom out doesn't help either. I'm sure the team (read Connor and Drai) are aware of how important he is for this team to go anywhere. I just don't think they care anymore, and I don't really blame them.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They were rolling under Hitch with Klef and Russell. The lineup is just not good enough as is and the team is mentally fragile so the losses keep piling up. Also, the replacement players aren't good enough to execute what Hitch wants.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
McDavid can't have been too happy about losing his high school buddy Caggiula.

That's fake news. Drake Caggiula now finds himself on line with old schoolmate Connor McDavid

“We did have a three-on-three school tournament that we were in, but I was a senior, he was a freshman,” said Caggiula. “I mean, we talked a bit, had a few conversations, but we weren’t fast friends because of the age difference (four years). It was a small school, grade one to 12. I graduated with only 12 people.”

“Right before I signed with the Oilers though (this summer as as free-agent), I reached out to Connor and asked him what Edmonton was like. I was doing a background check on where I wanted to go,” said Caggiula. “He gave me some good insight, and he remembered me. Earlier in the year, my dad met him at a CCM or Adidas event and they talked about me.”

Definitely not tight.

Reactions: stratedge

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Its not like we’re last place. The fact they come out with that kind of effort when they’re right in the mix fighting for a spot is baffling. That takes a seriously problematic attitude.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Don't think they would have tuned him out yet. Team is just bad. And they know it now more than ever before.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Its not like we’re last place. The fact they come out with that kind of effort when they’re right in the mix fighting for a spot is baffling. That takes a seriously problematic attitude.
This! Enough with the we don’t have Klef sob story.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I don’t see it as Connor or Drai tuning out Hitch at all. Listen to any old NHL player and they’ll admit they didn’t go 100% in all 82 games a year. It was physically impossible. The season is just too long. That’s why you see the pace and intensity ramp up so much in the playoffs.

Now imagine you’re Connor or Drai and you know if you don’t put up 3 or 4 points EVERY NIGHT your team has ZERO chance of winning.

What you see is exhaustion (look at the minutes they’re playing), both physical and mental. They aren’t tuning Hitch out, they’re exhausted.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
No they havent tuned him out, this was a hungover team playing hungover hockey because they dont give a f*** about anyone but themselves.

They don't care the Oilers have seen one round of playoff hockey since 06.

They don't care they are only 4 points out of a playoff spot.

They don't care about the name on the front, just the names on the back, I am convinced of that.

If they did care, they would have taken this game seriously and played with some pride. Do you think Tampa was out chasing LA beav until God knows what time? No. They went into Staples and made LA look like the last place team they are.

I shut it off after it was 2-0 but the rest of the GDT and PGT painted a damn good picture of what the problem was. 16 shots on goal. What a disgrace. Half of them were probably still drunk when the anthems started.

They have all summer to go wherever the f*** they want to go in the world and party and get lit up. From September to at least April, they are on the clock and it is business, not pleasure.

/rant

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Let me preface this by saying that Scotty Bowman couldn’t make anything out of this roster, but it sure looks like the team has already tuned out the coach. Pathetic effort after pathetic effort. Even Connor looks sometimes like he doesn’t care. There was no effort in tonight’s game... it was sorry to see.

well this did not take long

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No they haven't. They just aren't a very good hockey team and "buy in" to anything relies on success, that's just human psychology. You get discouraged and disheartened when you don't get results.

The reality is this is a team that drives McDavid into the ground and to have any success they need the goalie to really stand on his head, and any time that doesn't happen things fall apart. That and Klefbom staying healthy which most times isn't the case.

It's not a lack of want. It's a discouraged team that exhausts the 3-4 players that can actually make a difference and then fall apart.

Koskinen and Talbot can be good in stretches, but they're not franchise savior goalies, and this team asks them to be that. The result then when things go south for the goalie is rather predictable.

And no coach can stop that collapse when that happens.

Reactions: Aerrol and TB12

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
i know injuries played a part....but i find it amazing just how much worse they are on paper than at this time last year. its almost like chia is trying to get fired.
like those caggiula, strome, aberg moves basically gave away 20-30 goals. you can argue that strome and aberg weren't scoring....which is true....but there was no reason to move off them. Strome in particular was playing well.

.....and he paid to add defenders that arn't good at defending.....when gravel and jones were doing well....and are still better than the options he added.

it's almost amazing.

Reactions: Aerrol and TB12

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Unless the team gets a serious spike of momentum when Klefbom and Russell come back, we're done.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's nothing amazing either, if you play McDavid 29 minutes a game and are asking a KHL goalie to save your season ... eventually that is going to come back and bite you in the ass.

It's not a fair ask of those players to ride them so hard and make up for so much deficiency on the roster.

The result is inevitable, they will eventually hit a wall and the team can't handle that.

Reactions: TB12

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Who cares....only Jesus could coach to team to be miraculously good.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Unless the team gets a serious spike of momentum when Klefbom and Russell come back, we're done.

Getting into that time when, if you actually lay out a goal of ~94 points to make the playoffs, the record needed the rest of the way starts to look insane.

Right now, we would need something like 24-12-5 the rest of the way to get 94 points. Couple more stinkers and it's 24-10-5, which seems completely nuts to expect. Only 1 team in the NHL right now has a better record than 24-10-5. Only a handful have something better than 24-12-5 right now.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Lol no way. Don't blame hitch at all and don't think he lost the room.We just lack the talent to surround our core players and our lack of defencemen depth has shown.

Reactions: TB12

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Alex Chiasson post-game said "We have to make sure we are prepared. I don't think it has anything to do with effort, I think that's just preparation." Is that a shot at Hitch? Or am I reading too much into it.

0:40

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
That's fake news. Drake Caggiula now finds himself on line with old schoolmate Connor McDavid

“We did have a three-on-three school tournament that we were in, but I was a senior, he was a freshman,” said Caggiula. “I mean, we talked a bit, had a few conversations, but we weren’t fast friends because of the age difference (four years). It was a small school, grade one to 12. I graduated with only 12 people.”

“Right before I signed with the Oilers though (this summer as as free-agent), I reached out to Connor and asked him what Edmonton was like. I was doing a background check on where I wanted to go,” said Caggiula. “He gave me some good insight, and he remembered me. Earlier in the year, my dad met him at a CCM or Adidas event and they talked about me.”

Definitely not tight.

Nah, but they were probably quite good friends now. Have to think he was a lot more fond of Caggs than Manning anyway :)

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad