Have the flyers gotten soft?

SgtJoseph*

This team is absolutely soft . Never thought i would ever see such a soft Flyers club . Zach is one of our only players who plays tough consistently and he is not a very big guy whatsoever, BUT he certainly has a helluva lot more heart than most on our club when it comes to playing hard .
I know the league is morphing towards a more Euro style of speed etc ,and our club for now is neither tough old school nor Euro speed game new style .......Bad place to be for now, sorta stuck in between the 2 styles .
Hopefully our club can try and figure out what they wanna be and work towards building a club to fit that objective . Personally i like the old school hard hitting style but i know that style is going away league wide which is fine with me i suppose . Hopefully the minor league's can hold on to the old school style till i get too old to watch . LOL

Hope everyone has a great New Year !

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This team is absolutely soft . Never thought i would ever see such a soft Flyers club . Zach is one of our only players who plays tough consistently and he is not a very big guy whatsoever, BUT he certainly has a helluva lot more heart than most on our club when it comes to playing hard .
I know the league is morphing towards a more Euro style of speed etc ,and our club for now is neither tough old school nor Euro speed game new style .......Bad place to be for now, sorta stuck in between the 2 styles .
Hopefully our club can try and figure out what they wanna be and work towards building a club to fit that objective . Personally i like the old school hard hitting style but i know that style is going away league wide which is fine with me i suppose . Hopefully the minor league's can hold on to the old school style till i get too old to watch . LOL

Hope everyone has a great New Year !

Playing with heart doesn't always equal trying to run guys through a wall every shift. It's a different league.

SgtJoseph*

Playing with heart doesn't always equal trying to run guys through a wall every shift. It's a different league.

Never said it did ? Nor does Zach do that either etc . I am talking about winning battles out front, along the boards, and dropping them when needed .

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think it's a result of getting owned by the Rangers. They play is the same as we play other teams. Never getting into it and getting more pps out of that. They got the pps from their cycle game which we sorely lack. Every successful team plays this way. Teams that aren't used to winning like the Jets hit more and rough it up like we used to.

The way we play in that regard is good as it will make for a successful team once we change over the D and add to the fwds.

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
who cares man. The Flyers have SIZE on the backend and that is most important.

#Berubelogic

this team is slow, easy to play against and so ****ing boring. But they have just enough talent to stick around where they are. Many of us saw this coming though. I know Hextall isn't off to the greatest of starts but Holmgren really left him with a giant mess with some of these untradeable contracts.

:yo:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I hate the way this team plays. Its the complete opposite of every flyers team that i have watched since i can remember.

When Matt Read leads your team in hits in a game there is a problem. He had 9 hits last night...atleast i saw that somewhere earlier

im all about less penalties and getting rid of the enforcer...however there is a place for hitting and physical play, there is a middle ground. We dont have to go from one extreme to the other.

Someone said it earlier, they seem to play there best when they are physical.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Two more physical wingers that can play would go a long way towards making this a much tougher team. Morin's arrival will too.

The 1st and 3rd lines don't have much of a physical presence. The 2nd line is fine with Schenn-Laughton-Simmonds all willing to engage physically.

Raffl isn't big enough to play that role on the top line and Umberger-Couturier-Read are all passive when it comes to throwing the weight around. Replace Raffl and Umberger with stronger, more physical players and our offense would be a handful.

Are their any projected 1st round draft picks that bring a physical element to the table?

CTU2fan

Jul 12, 2009
Admit it...you all miss Lavi.

Soft? Yes, they're soft. It's pretty sad really. I didn't really notice it until Winnipeg last week, Byfuglien ran Giroux all over the place and nobody did a thing. And granted they won (on his turnover), but there are times when you need to sacrifice a bit, maybe take a penalty if necessary. When their guy is running your captain and best player (sorry Jake) it needs to be addressed. Remember how everyone mocked Vancouver for letting Marchand speedbag Sedin's head and doing nothing? That's where this team is headed.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The team's main issue seems to be the defensemen. When Schenn and Grossmann are out there the team is playing in slow motion. Coburn is a bust as a top pairing guy who can steady the rest of his defenders a la Kimo. Mac must still be hurt because his game has regressed so badly that he's been painful to watch. That doesn't leave much talent back there.
I can get what Berube is trying to do in order to cut back on penalties to kill. With that defense, penalties mean scores against. Still, there are times to take them. The next guy that jumps Giroux needs someone in O&B to even the score by taking out the opponent's best player. It may cost a penalty and maybe a game but if G gets injured, which is worse? If a coach gets upset about a team protecting their own, he's lost the locker room.

RJ8812*

Soft? Yes, they're soft. It's pretty sad really. I didn't really notice it until Winnipeg last week, Byfuglien ran Giroux all over the place and nobody did a thing. And granted they won (on his turnover), but there are times when you need to sacrifice a bit, maybe take a penalty if necessary. When their guy is running your captain and best player (sorry Jake) it needs to be addressed. Remember how everyone mocked Vancouver for letting Marchand speedbag Sedin's head and doing nothing? That's where this team is headed.

Lavy wouldnt be doing any better with this crop of players IMO.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

I do miss Lavi, but he had to go. He needs a good group of defensemen to run his system properly, and it's going to be years before we have that.

Remember at the beginning of the lockout shortened season when he tried adjusting things to play more conservatively? It was a disaster. Our D stopped pinching and tried to completely shelter Bryzgalov, which really only gets you so far. I think it only lasted like, 2 or 3 games and then he was back to his old system.

RJ8812*

I do miss Lavi, but he had to go. He needs a good group of defensemen to run his system properly, and it's going to be years before we have that.

Remember at the beginning of the lockout shortened season when he tried adjusting things to play more conservatively? It was a disaster. Our D stopped pinching and tried to completely shelter Bryzgalov, which really only gets you so far. I think it only lasted like, 2 or 3 games and then he was back to his old system.

Ya, unfortunately it had to be done cause Bryz was the *****.

But remember, it was never Bryzgalov's fault....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haha, yeah. You can only shelter a terrible goalie so much. He was still letting in awful goals, only at that time the team wasn't scoring because they were too busy trying to be meat shields around the net.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Haha, yeah. You can only shelter a terrible goalie so much. He was still letting in awful goals, only at that time the team wasn't scoring because they were too busy trying to be meat shields around the net.

stop that nonsense. Bryz never gave up a goal that was his fault. it was either the defenses fault. or the team in front of him weren't trying hard enough or it was a perfect shot.

:sarcasm:

RJ8812*

He's got some great numbers this year too: 0-1-0 6.40GAA .789SA%

The team in front of him must be terrible! Oh wait, they're the top team in the league

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
They need to start going for the St. Louis type of players and lose this "clean game" approach. Its the Rangers game and they're not suited for it.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Yes, but....

The Flyers have spent 25 years trying to live up to the tough guy image established with the Bullies. That hasn't worked because the game has evolved to become a more skilled, offensive game.

I want a tough team (who doesn't), but it cannot come at the expense of skill. Skilled, tough players need to be drafted and developed.... things the Flyers haven't had as much ability to do because of a lack of picks.

RJ8812*

Yes, but....

The Flyers have spent 25 years trying to live up to the tough guy image established with the Bullies. That hasn't worked because the game has evolved to become a more skilled, offensive game.

I want a tough team (who doesn't), but it cannot come at the expense of skill. Skilled, tough players need to be drafted and developed.... things the Flyers haven't had as much ability to do because of a lack of picks.

Boston the year they won the cup had everything you wanted in terms of toughness and skill (and a great goalie)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad