Have Oiler Players Tuned Out Their Coach Again?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think it's tuning out the coach, as it is a privilege thing. Some guys on the team know, that no matter what, they probably aren't getting benched or traded, and it shows some nights. Best thing is to trade on of those guys to send a message.

I don't think there are too many guys who should consider themselves in that category. it's the whole untradeable/unbenchable thing I don't see.

Hall may have been there in previous seasons but he is definitely putting in the effort this year. Schultz doesn't put in the effort, but it's not because he's untradeable. At least medium-term, I don't see the Oilers being able to get rid of him by the TDL but this clearly his last season with the team.

Who are you thinking of?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nope. They're not getting another coach any time soon anyway. They need to learn the hard way that you don't get so full of yourself after two easy wins and this was big lesson.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think what BF is trying to say is that the players have run out of real estate. Time to turn the page on a few of them.

Thats exactly what is going on here. Oiler fans have been watching this team and living with the frustration for years now.
Chiarelli and McLellan have needed time to get a sense of what the current players are all about.
That has been and is being revealed as the season rolls along.
Its a necessary step that has to precede any changes. Just because a lot of Oiler fans (understandably) dont have the patience to allow this process to happen doesnt mean that it is flawed.

Coaching is not the problem here and quite honestly I am puzzled why anybody who has watched the last 5 years would present that possibility.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The number one thing that I feel 100% confident on despite the odd complaint about McLellan and staff is, they are NOT THE problem. Generally the players are.

Injuries have hurt the Oilers to the point where we really should not feel "too bad" about our status in the standings. We have been in almost every game and are still "visibly better".

However there is no doubt that the team certainly HAS tuned out the coaching staff these last two games.

The coaching/management staff have let Schultz fester and infect this group in my mind and he needs to be cut out asap. Atrocious play can be infectious and when the coach keeps visibly giving a terrible players minutes with no accountability it resonates in the line up.

2 bad games in a row is terrible but they were preceded by two great games so both need to be taken with some context.

Losing your number one center and going with 2 rookies, even great ones is beyond harsh. As much as I and many others were getting ready to clear out RNH locker these last two games show exactly what happens when rookies have no insulation.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Definitely tuned him out, we're in mid-February, time to start thinking about booking tee times and vacations for the end of April.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I don't think it's tuning out the coach, as it is a privilege thing. Some guys on the team know, that no matter what, they probably aren't getting benched or traded, and it shows some nights. Best thing is to trade on of those guys to send a message.

A lot of these players would probably welcome, if not even love getting traded. Don't see how anyone could consider this a punishment.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
When certain players aren't considered to be 'the top line' or '1st PP unit' they have historically dropped their level of play. Might not be considered tuning out the coach but effort and execution isn't there.

TM preached at the opening day of training camp to battle hard along the boards for pucks. I recall reporters tweeting quotes that reflected his frustration at the lack of battle. 50 games in and NO change in that level... hmmmm.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's not the coachs fault he's doing a great job.
It's not the gms fault he's doing a great job.
It's not the best player cores fault they are doing a great job.

Same old baloney to be honest.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
It's not the coachs fault he's doing a great job.
It's not the gms fault he's doing a great job.
It's not the best player cores fault they are doing a great job.

Same old baloney to be honest.

Its not the coaches fault in this case but i feel Todd has a lot of patience and came in coaching this team like its a Junior hockey squad that needed time and constant encouragement and nurturing. He is finding out the hard way that at the pro level that does not work when dealing with a group that is so unprofessional. I wish they hired Babcock or Tortorella to rip into this team night in and night out. The media here lets everything slide when it comes to performance and questionable on ice decisions. They needed someone tougher to whip these pansies into shape. You can tell the current coach was used to dealing with veterans where minimal instruction was necessary. These guys need to be coddled to play the right way. They need to boot 90 percent of the roster out.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Let me ask you guys: If you think the players are the issue, which ones specifically? Tychkowski's article on McLellan's post-game scrum indicates a lack of leadership from within. So.. who do you think should be providing leadership, and consequently isn't?

I really, really get sick of media ********** talking around the issues and not addressing the gigantic white elephant in the room. For years now, there is this stuff about certain players not being leaders -- well, stop tiptoeing around the issue and come right out and say it. Yeah yeah, I get that it has to come from each guy etc. etc. but you can't 100% turn over the entire roster. So? Who is it? Because I notice, quite distinctly, that you **absolutely** cannot mention players like Hall, or up until recently, Eberle, without someone losing their marbles over the idea of trading them. I am genuinely curious which players specifically everyone thinks is the issue. Please, enlighten the rest of us. This isn't a defence of the players, whatsoever -- I really want to hear which players you feel are the real issue.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Let me ask you guys: If you think the players are the issue, which ones specifically? Tychkowski's article on McLellan's post-game scrum indicates a lack of leadership from within. So.. who do you think should be providing leadership, and consequently isn't?

I think you are framing the question a little oddly.

The Oilers aren't performing poorly because of tuning out the coach. They are performing poorly due to lack of talent/injuries.

There is no indication that the team has turned on McLellan. They just don't have much talent and have a lot of injuries.

As for actual attitude problems, Schultz is the biggest culprit.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Its not the coaches fault in this case but i feel Todd has a lot of patience and came in coaching this team like its a Junior hockey squad that needed time and constant encouragement and nurturing. He is finding out the hard way that at the pro level that does not work when dealing with a group that is so unprofessional. I wish they hired Babcock or Tortorella to rip into this team night in and night out. The media here lets everything slide when it comes to performance and questionable on ice decisions. They needed someone tougher to whip these pansies into shape. You can tell the current coach was used to dealing with veterans where minimal instruction was necessary. These guys need to be coddled to play the right way. They need to boot 90 percent of the roster out.

This is the most reasonable answer - its so different to coach young players, vs vets, plus when you only have a few reliable vets that lead on/off the ice by example it's hard to get younger players to consistently buy into the game plan.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

The Oilers aren't performing poorly because of tuning out the coach. They are performing poorly due to lack of talent/injuries.

There is no indication that the team has turned on McLellan. They just don't have much talent and have a lot of injuries.

How can it be a lack of talent? The top 6 is littered with 1st rounders, and notably a few 1st overalls. On the D end, ok I can see that.

Schultz isn't an integral part of the team though is he? I mean I don't see it at least.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
How can it be a lack of talent? The top 6 is littered with 1st rounders, and notably a few 1st overalls. On the D end, ok I can see that.

Schultz isn't an integral part of the team though is he? I mean I don't see it at least.

I think there is a lack of talent on the back end but thats certainly not the problem with the top 6. Injuries have played a role but the biggest problem IMo is the mix is all worng. Too many players that bring nothing but a skill game. That wont win you jack squat.
You need a mix of grit, competitiveness and skill.
The Oilers dont have that.

The holes on this team also creates a scenario where the team has no identity. That is also a major problem.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

I used to rip on leadership, but Eberle missed significant time, RNH has been gone now. The leadership has shifted.

The only thing with this team is been defense and gaining confidence. In sports in general playing against teams that are stingy defensively shake you up mentally. When you play like the Oilers against teams that will trade you chances you have all the confidence in the world.

It's just the framework of the team. Look at the Caps a few years back. Had better goaltending, and defense than the Oil with dynamic forwards and still couldn't do anything significant to win games against better teams.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

They already tried a hardass coach that was more about ripping into them than nurturing them. To say they wilted under Eakin's rule would be a vast understatement. That type of mentality also led to the hiring of Pat Quinn, who was also a disaster.

Mclellan has been one of the best coaches in the NHL for many years and is now the 7th coach in 8 years struggling to get this roster competitive night in and night out. They need better players, team balance, a significantly improved defense, and a shakeup of the comfortable core that got their payday contracts way too early in their careers; not an angry coach that kicks their *****.

Fairy McGodfather

Liquored & Cynical
Feb 5, 2016
Rural Saskatchewan
I think a huge contributor to the lack of identity comes from the fact that there is a "core" and a "rest of the team". They need to be one team united and get this young core mentality out of the room, and the Edmonton Oilers hockey TEAM mentality back into the room.

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013

IMO the Oilers are very much like Team Canada at WJ this year. Lots of individual talent, used to being "the guy" on respective teams but when thrown together can't play a full team effort because they are used to doing it mostly themselves. Look at Eberle now deciding to carry the puck when he's on with McDavid. Why? Hall and Yak are brutal at carrying the puck-same mistake of going through two or three guys repeatedly. Might have worked in Juniors but not at NHL level talent. Yet they still try to be "the guy".

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They already tried a hardass coach that was more about ripping into them than nurturing them. To say they wilted under Eakin's rule would be a vast understatement. That type of mentality also led to the hiring of Pat Quinn, who was also a disaster.

Mclellan has been one of the best coaches in the NHL for many years and is now the 7th coach in 8 years struggling to get this roster competitive night in and night out. They need better players, team balance, a significantly improved defense, and a shakeup of the comfortable core that got their payday contracts way too early in their careers; not an angry coach that kicks their *****.

100%.

You cant turn a deer into a mountain lion no matter how loud you yell. At some point you have to acknowledge that you need to get a different animal.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

I really, really get sick of media ********** talking around the issues and not addressing the gigantic white elephant in the room. For years now, there is this stuff about certain players not being leaders -- well, stop tiptoeing around the issue and come right out and say it. Yeah yeah, I get that it has to come from each guy etc. etc. but you can't 100% turn over the entire roster. So? Who is it? Because I notice, quite distinctly, that you **absolutely** cannot mention players like Hall, or up until recently, Eberle, without someone losing their marbles over the idea of trading them. I am genuinely curious which players specifically everyone thinks is the issue. Please, enlighten the rest of us. This isn't a defence of the players, whatsoever -- I really want to hear which players you feel are the real issue.

Lets face it, has to be Hall, Eberle, Nugent Hopkins, ( okay i knows hes currently injuried but has he shown any real leadership yet) the supposed core. Most of this team is new from the last few years. the fact that taylor Hall, is not the captain yet, is evident that he may never be, as after Ference was basically stripped, it figured to be Hall. Are the media afraid to get blackballed by the oilers, because quite frankly questioning any leadership of team has to be those 3 players. I hardly doubt anyone expects its yakupov or schultz.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
I think a huge contributor to the lack of identity comes from the fact that there is a "core" and a "rest of the team". They need to be one team united and get this young core mentality out of the room, and the Edmonton Oilers hockey TEAM mentality back into the room.

The problem on this team was the young core were gifted too much money too early, and since they were the darlings of the team, it was hard for any 3rd or 4th line veterans to question them . It created a divide on the team, and it shows

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

If this was the 80's where offense won you more games because of high scoring games then you would say the issue is the coach.

However, teams win because of defense, you can find teams in the NHL with great d-core and mediocre forwards and there winning. Teams with dynamic forwards and absolutely no quality d don't make up for more losses.

It would have been nice to see a full lineup, but it's also a d-core that changes alot. Besides Schultz, the d-core has changed alot in the last few years. D is so much more important not to change out drastically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad