Have Oiler Players Tuned Out Their Coach Again?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
my friends and i were discussing this after the last 2 inept games, and with the W/L record now at 21-33 (including OT and SO losses) as well as the goal differential at a pathetic -29, have the Oilers tuned out T-Mac and his staff like we have seen so many times in the past? what do you think?

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,
my friends and i were discussing this after the last 2 inept games, and with the W/L record now at 21-33 (including OT and SO losses) as well as the goal differential at a pathetic -29, have the Oilers tuned out T-Mac and his staff like we have seen so many times in the past? what do you think?

Well there has been like 5 different coaches here in the last 7 years, but i would hope thats not the case here. No way T-Mac has already been tuned out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Blowouts happen. Rough stretches happen.

The year that Hartley won the Jack Adams the Flames lost nine straight in regulation at one point. :laugh:

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I don't think it's tuning out the coach, as it is a privilege thing. Some guys on the team know, that no matter what, they probably aren't getting benched or traded, and it shows some nights. Best thing is to trade on of those guys to send a message.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Giving up on a couple of games in a row where bad things happened doesn't mean they tuned out the coach.

It does mean there are a bunch of crybaby losers on the team, though.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
you guys are kinda negative if we are being honest

realistically we lost 16-15 in our last 4 games.........

players have no compete and the ones that do look out of place. the answer is simple. trade the heartless, then hard part is finding someone who wants them.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
There will be changes made that will make this team better Schultz not on the back end and a legit top 4 Dman will do wonders.

I see Reinhart being a bust as his skating is terrible and won't compete regularly

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Again? It happens every 2-3 games with this goldfish bowl.

To wit they spend ample time working on an aspect of play, any aspect you care to mention, they appear to attempt performing the instruction, then 2 games later you wonder if anything about the lesson is retained.

This is remedial folks.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe the team hasn't tuned him out, but there sure as hell isn't a lot of guys that he's going to standup for when being asked by the GM who he should keep and who he should deal.

The coach shouldn't have to call out the leadership this many times in one year.

Then again maybe we just don't have the players to be vocal leaders.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
There is no evidence that the team has tuned out the coach.

It's just a small, soft team that is easy to beat when they are on the road and don't have the advantage of home ice. They were losing games in embarrassing fashion back in Oct/Nov on the road as the usual suspects pulled their wimpy disappearing acts, it's no different now even if the score is a bit more lopsided.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
There is no evidence that the team has tuned out the coach.

It's just a small, soft team that is easy to beat when they are on the road and don't have the advantage of home ice. They were losing games in embarrassing fashion back in Oct/Nov on the road as the usual suspects pulled their wimpy disappearing acts, it's no different now even if the score is a bit more lopsided.

The evidence of tuning the coach out is players actually acknowledging in the post game quotes that the team did.

For instance Hendricks or Pouliot or McDavid stating, in actual words, that the team abandoned the gameplan in games. To me that's tuning out.

Also, the teams work on the PP is fairly continuous indication of the players not believing in the system they have been forwarded. Is that tuning out?

Have the players defiantly rejected the coach and anything he has to say? No, this isn't Eakins here, but they certainly tune out specific direction with regularity.

Guess it depends on defn of tuned out. :laugh:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
i agree with those who say that it's now on the players. no more GM changes, no more coaches and coaching staff replacements. it will be interesting to see how many, if any, of the so called "core" get shipped out this season, at the draft, or over the summer.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
The evidence of tuning the coach out is players actually acknowledging in the post game quotes that the team did.

For instance Hendricks or Pouliot or McDavid stating, in actual words, that the team abandoned the gameplan in games. To me that's tuning out.

Also, the teams work on the PP is fairly continuous indication of the players not believing in the system they have been forwarded. Is that tuning out?

Have the players defiantly rejected the coach and anything he has to say? No, this isn't Eakins here, but they certainly tune out specific direction with regularity.

scary! :amazed:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

Every team goes through games throughout the season where they get away from the gameplan, usually to disastrous results on the ice. In the Oilers case, they've been a mentally fragile team that wilts at the first sign of adversity for half a decade now(Kreuger ranted about it after pretty much every loss). So it should be no surprise that a team with that type of lack of belief in itself falls apart when the goaltending doesn't hold up in the first period of each game.

It's still not a sign that the players have tuned out the coach.

As for the Powerplay, I'm personally of the opinion that the poor results there are a result of poor coaching, not tuned out players who can't retain instruction. Weird personnel decisions, an obsession with a point shot based PP on a team with no point shot, seemingly no concerted effort to find someone who will stand in front of the net, and little to no adaptation to weak matchups or poor play from unit members have all done a lot to undermine the results this year.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Every team goes through games throughout the season where they get away from the gameplan, usually to disastrous results on the ice. In the Oilers case, they've been a mentally fragile team that wilts at the first sign of adversity for half a decade now(Kreuger ranted about it after pretty much every loss). So it should be no surprise that a team with that type of lack of belief in itself falls apart when the goaltending doesn't hold up in the first period of each game.

It's still not a sign that the players have tuned out the coach.

hmmm....never thought of it like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad