Have Brothers Ever Fought in the NHL?

DrVanntastic

Jun 15, 2006
Wentzville, MO
According to Bobby Plager, he and Barc used to fight all the time... he tells a story of how they fought in the minors, and after the game, Barc sent word to Bobby to meet him alone in the dressing room, where they downed a six-pack.

Don't know if they ever fought in the NHL, though.

Nope. With the exception of 28 games that Bob played with the Rangers before Barc came into the league, they both played their entire NHL careers with the Blues.

Love Bobby's book though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
All of the Primeau vs. Primeau talk lead me to track down the story. Finally came across this article.

Link: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/cup99/cup011.htm

"He said, 'What do you want to do?' I said, 'Whatever.' And so we went," Primeau says.

His mother, Peggy Primeau, didn't see it that way.

"My dad (Mike) was laughing, but she was pretty upset. She didn't want to see that happen again," Wayne says.

mooseOAK*

First time was probably Mickey Redmond and Dick Redmond, first I had heard of it anyway.

The Cheat

Habitual Linestepper
I'd love it if the Sedin's fought each other after daniel stole an "obvious" goal from his brother that he didn't HAVE to touch (ie: it went through the goalie and was going over the line anyway). Full blown scrum in the crease, no penalties handed out for fighting a teammate except maybe a delay of game.

jb**

John and Dan kordic(rookie year) almost went at it, that would have been a good one. Dave brown wouldnt allow it and then proceeded to beat down john whiel dan fougth wayne van dorp if i rememebr correctly

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
The only one I know of for sure is the Primeau's. I have the book "Six Shooters" about the Sutters and I dont recall them talking about fighting each other in the NHL. They were all tough as hell and I am sure had some good ones growing up on the farm. I will have to look at the book again though.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I remember Keith saying it is the most embarrassing moment in his life. His mother blamed him because he was the older brother.

My brother and I started exchanging shoves and words during a pick up game once... my mother gave me a verbal thrashing later... always blame the older son... :shakehead

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
It seems the oldest brother is always the better player, Lindross,Staal, Primeau,Kariya...only one I can think of with the younger being alot better is Drury

Not really. One reason for this perception you have is that the younger brother of a great NHL player has a lot of expectations, everyone knows he's this guy's brother, it might even help him to get drafted (example : the 4th Staal). The younger brother of an average or bad NHLer doesn't have the spotlight for that reason, as a result the older but worse brother likely will be forgotten.

To put it simple :

Guy X is better than his older brother, goon Y : ''Hey look, its guy X, he's pretty good! Oh did you hear he's goon Y's younger brother? I couldn't believe it when commentator said it the other day lol''

Guy X is not as good as his older brother, star Y : ''Its Guy X! The guy who was drafted only because of his brother, star Y! Speaking of which Y got his 34, 35 and 36th goal yesterday, he was Pierre's MONSTER of the game!!''

dookers9

Mar 30, 2008
Edmonton
The Hunter brothers never fought each other, although Tim Hunter and Dave Hunter apparently fought twice... but as I just found out (file under: you learn something new every day), Tim was not related to Mark, Dale or Dave.

:laugh: I'm wondering how it is that you figured that Tim would be even remotely related to Dave, Dale, or Mark... Tim Hunter had himself a face that even a mother couldn't love, largely having Dave Semenko to thank for it.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
It seems the oldest brother is always the better player, Lindross,Staal, Primeau,Kariya...only one I can think of with the younger being alot better is Drury

Not in the same class of players but Tuomo > Jarko Ruuttu and Dominic > Steve Moore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad