Post-Game Talk: Hatric Hornqvist | Penguins 6, Coyotes 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Watch them move Cole back to LD to get Schultz in the lineup.

square-peg-round-hole.jpg

But seriously, Cole is better on the right and Schultz is such a mess defensively that I don't want him dragging Pouliot down with him. I also don't want Pouliot scratched for those two unless it's a rotation and even then.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think Ian Cole's correct position is "on some other team", but it's possible that his correct position is "3rd pairing against the Arizona Coyotes." It's a toss up at this point for me. Could go either way.

People are getting a bit excited about a win against the Yotes right after they made some trades, now that you mention it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
27 minutes against Arizona in a blowout? :amazed:

That's excessive. I wish they'd be more careful with a player like Letang, he's stupidly important, he's stupid and he's fragile.

That's probably because the Penguins had 5 PPs.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
square-peg-round-hole.jpg

But seriously, Cole is better on the right and Schultz is such a mess defensively that I don't want him dragging Pouliot down with him. I also don't want Pouliot scratched for those two unless it's a rotation and even then.

Play 7D, put Schultz on the PP's and when we need an offensive boost. Porter is useless anyway.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Tomorrow's not gonna be pretty although Carlson isn't in for the Caps.
They're rested, at home, coming off a loss.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
People are getting a bit excited about a win against the Yotes right after they made some trades, now that you mention it.

I'm excited because damn this team wasted a lot of games against **** teams earlier this year and this was a fun game to watch.

But I don't think any of their issues are any better. In fact, if you just look at the first half of the game, the Pens were plagued with a lack of focus and positional and structural breakdowns.

Not trying to be a downer (though I'm sure I'm prone to do so today), but this is the stretch run and the rest of the schedule is tough.

edit:

and the past 12 months have made me a real big admirer of the way the Ducks run their team.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
A win is a win.

Considering how Arizona skated circles around them and completely stifled their offense earlier in the year, I'll take it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I really can't see them immediately putting Schultz in a game.
Sully will just stick with the same lineup until he really hates a D-Man(coughColecoughorPouliot).

Even with an injury, i think he'll bring up Oleksy and play him over Schultz.
I could be wrong of course.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I really can't see them immediately putting Schultz in a game.
Sully will just stick with the same lineup until he really hates a D-Man(coughColecoughorPouliot).

Even with an injury, i think he'll bring up Oleksy and play him over Schultz.
I could be wrong of course.

JR just traded a 3rd for him.Sullivan will give him some games before he sends him to Siberia.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Watch them move Cole back to LD to get Schultz in the lineup.

I doubt it, it was Johnston that had the harebrained idea with his clown Agnew to move Cole to the left side with Letang, insanely incompatible partners.

On the left side we have:

Maatta
Dumoulin
Pouliot

On the right side we have:

Letang
Daley
Cole
Schultz

I think the best case scenario is to put Schultz with Dumo and Daley with Pouliot when flipping with Cole & Schultz in the line-up. It's not like Schultz is a rookie though, so I could see them try Pouliot with Schultz to see how that pair works.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure Schultz will play that much this season either. They'll put in a lot of hours with him, video work, one on one stuff with coaches, etc. and sign him dirt cheap after the season. Then give him a full offseason and see how he looks in camp/preseason.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Two points and the Pens need to concentrate and take one game at a time. Dog fight for the playoffs and just how bad MJ was as a coach who was clueless cost them big time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's a hard game to really give an analysis to. I thought the ENTIRE team did a great job. The speed and tenacity showed up and that's what we needed. They dominated the game and Sid's line was on fire. Geno started showing signs of dominance. The bottom 6 was hot all night. Fleury was great. Defense was in bend but don't break mode. Everything went as well as it could.

That's the team that COULD give teams fits and a major reason why teams would want to avoid us in the postseason. At the same time, there were some minor issues with focus. They didn't stop/start and let the game open up. Against Washington and NYR, we are dead in water. They need 1 goal before they go full on trap.

So ultimately I have nothing bad to say about tonight's game. Things worked and they still have some stuff to work on.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Two points and the Pens need to concentrate and take one game at a time. Dog fight for the playoffs and just how bad MJ was as a coach who was clueless cost them big time.

i am, for sure, not Mike Johnston's biggest fan, but if you put this version of Pouliot on the team and trade Scuderi for Daley in September, I bet the Pens are better off at this point, even without a coaching change.

(but obviously it's MJ's fault that Scuderi played so much)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm not sure Schultz will play that much this season either. They'll put in a lot of hours with him, video work, one on one stuff with coaches, etc. and sign him dirt cheap after the season. Then give him a full offseason and see how he looks in camp/preseason.

Thought he was an RFA and his qualifying rights were 3.3 or something around there?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
By the by, something WAS ****ed up with the ice more than usual tonight. Guys were really struggling out there on both ends. Lots of guys falling, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad