Hathaway spits on Gudbranson (suspended 3 games)

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If you're walking down the street, would you rather get spit on, or punched in the face?

10 of 10 people will pick spit (and if they won't admit it, they're lying)

Yet somehow, in their infinite wisdom, spitting is worse than concussing someone with an illegal hit... SMH
With how many diseases there are out there now. I’d take a hit to the face over a fluid exchange personally. 100% serious. Pain from a punch will go away. What’s in that spit could last a life time.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
With how many diseases there are out there now. I’d take a hit to the face over a fluid exchange personally. 100% serious. Pain from a punch will go away. What’s in that spit could last a life time.
I keep seeing this.

I’m genuinely curious what diseases people think you can catch from someone spitting on you and how prevalent they are. This whole line of thinking reeks of 80s era belief/miseducation/hysteria on how HIV is transmitted.

A punch to the face has several real and potentially life altering aspects. The amount of people who have lost their life or directly had it dramatically changed as a result of one singular punch absolutely dwarfs whatever imaginary bubonic plague you think is floating around.

Assuming you are a healthy individual with a competent immune system, you will not find a licensed doctor in the world who will tell you spit is generally more dangerous to your health than a punch to the head.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

"Pain" From a punch is more likely to cause lifetime effects than a healthy person spitting at you.

Catching a disease is way more propable by doing things like breathing or touching door handles than getting spitted on. The 'catching a disease' is not really a thing.

Spitting in this context is just unsportmanship and disrespective. Nothing more. Nothing less. Worth a penalty/suspension, but the degree of penalty is very much up to debate.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Perfectly fine with this suspension, but I'm curious as to why the league draws their line in the sand at spitting but has allowed licking and biting to go unpunished.

likely cause most of the licking and biting incidents involve a certain Bruin and Jeremy Jacobs and his power influenced the Departartment of Player Safety

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Would you really take a concussion over being spit on?

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Does Hathaway have a concussion from the punch he took?

No, but a concussion from the level of punch thrown is not unusual. So, saying I would roll the dice with the punch over the spit is what I am asking about. Realistically speaking I would much rather deal with someone sneezing on me than getting punched in the head by a guy half a foot and 40lbs heavier than me when I cant even protect myself. But that's just me.

Meanwhile, are we saying that Hathaway's spit was somehow more effective in causing damage than the sucker punch?

Reactions: Eisen

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
No, but a concussion from the level of punch thrown is not unusual. So, saying I would roll the dice with the punch over the spit is what I am asking about. Realistically speaking I would much rather deal with someone sneezing on me than getting punched in the head by a guy half a foot and 40lbs heavier than me when I cant even protect myself. But that's just me.

Meanwhile, are we saying that Hathaway's spit was somehow more effective in causing damage than the sucker punch?

Are we truly upset about the 'sucker punch'or are we deflecting blame?

Reactions: Getz2noone

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
I think Hathaway could successfully appeal his suspension showing that there is no intent to injure and because licking wasn't punished in the past, but, I think he wants this suspension to show he wasn't right and deserved it.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Seems the majority consensus is that he deserves a suspension. All others have a capitals player in their avatar
Most of the Caps fans that take off their homer glasses don't come onto the main boards often. The Caps board has pretty much said he deserved being suspended but aren't thrilled with him getting 3 games, which is understandable. 3 games for "intent to injure" is laughable when the sucker punch that triggered the dumb spitting action was more of an "intent to injure" than the spit itself.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Are we truly upset about the 'sucker punch'or are we deflecting blame?
People deflecting blame... said it a bunch... if hathaway doesnt spit were not even discussing the punch.

Thats a problem with hockey and its fans tho... where physicality gets ignored because we accept lines get crossed occasionally due to the nature of the sport.

3 games is fine it sends a msg to future spitters.... but i think guds shoulda got a game or 2 and anyone in that scenario(which happens fairly often shoukd get a game).

League made right call, bigger issue is the league made wrong call on head shots and illegal checks/punches consistantly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad