Hathaway spits on Gudbranson (suspended 3 games)

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
This really is a weird issue for the NHL now due to their non-suspension for Marchand. What’s the difference between spitting and licking? They both transfer saliva. Spitting certainly carries a more negative connotation. But now we’re getting into human interaction / non-verbal communication discussions. Which is comical in this setting.

I feel like he’s gonna be suspended at least a game and the NHL is going to grow to regret having not suspended the lick(s) the first time around to set the proper precedent.

Either way I’d love to read the transcript of the Hathaway hearing and PRAY that they reference Marchand as historical precedent for the shear ridiculousness of the whole situation.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The justification attempts from some posters on this topic are ridiculous. Under no situation is it ever justified to spit on somebody. It's a disgusting and potentially dangerous action. Hathaway will be suspended and rightfully so.

Except for the possibility of projecting a loose tooth from the head shot intl someones eye (which would be karma), how is spitting AT someone more dangerous than licking them directly?

Other than Marchand being a Bruin, why did he not get suspended for doing that multiple times?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Matt Calvert and Garnet Hathaway incidents reveal huge flaws in NHL rulebook - TheHockeyNews

Rule 23.8, which deals with infractions that could result in a game misconduct (not a match penalty, and there is a clear difference) include, “spitting on or at an opponent or a spectator.” But prior to that it says – again in a most confusing way – that “the following list of infractions can also result in a game misconduct being assessed.” (Italics mine.) This is a very important distinction because match penalties are viewed as much more serious than game misconducts and a player receiving a match penalty is suspended indefinitely until the league rules on the issue. But the referees – in this case Wes McCauley and Peter MacDougall – thought the act was so egregious that it deserved a match penalty.
So if Hathaway receives anything more than a fine – and even if he receives just that – expect the NHL Players’ Association to raise bloody heck. Because in this case, it seems the league isn’t even governing itself by its own rulebook. I asked Campbell yesterday what the difference is between a player spitting at an opponent and licking his face, something Brad Marchand has done twice without any repercussions. Marchand was, however, put on notice by the league and told any further behavior like that would be subject to further discipline. Campbell declined comment.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Thought it would be one game, MAYBE two. Again, not making excuses here but as others have said, I cannot believe Marchand got nothing for repeatedly licking people... and now this gets three games? Make it make sense

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I am fine with the suspension. I get the Marchand licking makes it look bad but he should have gotten three games too. Spitting is disrespectful and not at all a part of the game. It should come with a minimum game amount.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
I am fine with the suspension. I get the Marchand licking makes it look bad but he should have gotten three games too. Spitting is disrespectful and not at all a part of the game. It should come with a minimum game amount.
I agree, it's just so abundantly clear at this point that there are different rulebooks for different players. Which is just kinda sad.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Next time just lick the opposing player youll get a minor fine. The DoPS once again shows how clueless and inconsistent it is. Also, how does spitting on someone receive a harsher fine than intent to injures and other crap that happens regularly in the NHL. He deserved one game. maybe two....but three is extremely excessive.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Thought it would be one game, MAYBE two. Again, not making excuses here but as others have said, I cannot believe Marchand got nothing for repeatedly licking people... and now this gets three games? Make it make sense
Add in the post 2 above and this is a serious case of spin the wheel!

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Except for the possibility of projecting a loose tooth from the head shot intl someones eye (which would be karma), how is spitting AT someone more dangerous than licking them directly?

Other than Marchand being a Bruin, why did he not get suspended for doing that multiple times?
A friend of my got sucker punched from the side of him during a street argument between two groups of people. A punch that brooke his nose. He was bleeding alot from his nose into his own mouth. He then figuered out a "come back" at the guy who punched him. So he spit blod on him and said he had AIDS. The other guy got mad and angry. I for one think my friend did a good thing, you got to be street smart sometimes and find out ur own ways to get as "even" as you can. If you are up against big and mean people / Regards

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

Why are you quoting me and bringing up Marchand and licking? I did not mention Marchand or licking. Try and stay on point if you're going to quote people.

Spitting goes way beyond the game and what players accept as possible consequences for playing. It is a disgusting and dangerous action especially with everything we now know about transmitting diseases. This is why the courts consider it an assault. Hathaway is in no way justified for doing so and anyone defending him needs to give their head a shake. He was suspended and rightfully so.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This really is a weird issue for the NHL now due to their non-suspension for Marchand. What’s the difference between spitting and licking? They both transfer saliva. Spitting certainly carries a more negative connotation. But now we’re getting into human interaction / non-verbal communication discussions. Which is comical in this setting.

I feel like he’s gonna be suspended at least a game and the NHL is going to grow to regret having not suspended the lick(s) the first time around to set the proper precedent.

Either way I’d love to read the transcript of the Hathaway hearing and PRAY that they reference Marchand as historical precedent for the shear ridiculousness of the whole situation.

One plays for Boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad