Hasso Plattner.. 2 years in, do we like him now ?

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
He has revamped the business side of things.. Social media, marketing, etc.. are all better than it has been before. On the hockey side things, they are still a cap team, scouting budget has been increased and they are making improvements there as well. What do the fans think of him now?

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Whow, whow back up a tad, let's not go overboard here with the praise...

I'm not giving an owner a passing grade unless they pump most of their money into hockey operations. Scouting, development, firing certain AHL coaches.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Anyone have a breakdown or summary of what actually changed? I haven't followed anything regarding the marketing or social media stuff.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
York is in a class of his own.

He may be one of the top 5 worst in all of pro sports.

Not really. Top 5 most hated? Sure. Plattner is fine to me. I don't care about owners. They are just bankrolls. Fans think the owner is great when a team wins, terrible when they lose. In every sport.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not really. Top 5 most hated? Sure. Plattner is fine to me. I don't care about owners. They are just bankrolls. Fans think the owner is great when a team wins, terrible when they lose. In every sport.

So you will take pre 2013 charles wang? Because owners do not matter?

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Yes, York's an idiot all around. He knowingly or not shot the Niners back a decade. Yes, worst and hated in my book.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He was cheap. Plattner is fully funding the team and letting the hockey guys make the hockey decisions. That's perfect.

You are right that plattner is allowing his hockey ops to run the show. But you still need a good owner that isn't to over the top with his hands in the cookie jar, but also a owner that knows when to step in and change the direction.

We still have yet to find out if plattner is actually willing or smart enough to move on from mistakes in the front office.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
When he first took on majority control, we heard about his disappointment with the Sharks's media machine, and the issues he had with their development system. Big changes have been made to both. The Sharks are more flush with prospects than they have been in a long time. The media organization has also undergone several changes.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
He has revamped the business side of things.. Social media, marketing, etc.. are all better than it has been before. On the hockey side things, they are still a cap team, scouting budget has been increased and they are making improvements there as well. What do the fans think of him now?

He's neither horrible nor great, so far for me he's just ok.

At the top of the NorCal sport team owners we have some of the best:
1.) Larry Baer and co. - Giants
2.) Joe Lacob - Warriors

In the middle we have so far:
3.) Hasso Platner - Sharks
4.) Vivek Ranadive - Kings

At the bottom we have some of the cheapest in the biz:
5.) Mark Davis - Raiders
6.) Jed York - 49ers
7.) Lew Wolff - A's and Earthquakes

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
He's neither horrible nor great, so far for me he's just ok.

At the top of the NorCal sport team owners we have some of the best:
1.) Larry Baer and co. - Giants
2.) Joe Lacob - Warriors

In the middle we have so far:
3.) Hasso Platner - Sharks
4.) Vivek Ranadive - Kings

At the bottom we have some of the cheapest in the biz:
5.) Mark Davis - Raiders
6.) Jed York - 49ers
7.) Lew Wolff - A's and Earthquakes

I'd mostly agree. I'd swap York and Wolff. York, to me, is at the bottom actually. Davis at least has hired a good coaching staff. Oh, but looks Davis and the Raiders will be removed from this list altogether by next year...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You are right that plattner is allowing his hockey ops to run the show. But you still need a good owner that isn't to over the top with his hands in the cookie jar, but also a owner that knows when to step in and change the direction.

We still have yet to find out if plattner is actually willing or smart enough to move on from mistakes in the front office.

Agreed. It's about finding that balance. From what I've seen of Plattner thus far, he's maintained that balance pretty well.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not good because DW is still in his position.

I will get behind the bad owner if the sharks fail this year to reach its goal. And that goal is the stanley cup. Anything short of that (especially not making it out of the western conference). He should be fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad