Hasek Vs. Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
KOVALEV10 said:
After reading all your posts about being apart of the HHOF I have a lot of respect for you. But I have to disagree. IMO I would feel safer with a 97-98-99 Dominik Hasek in a game 7 then a sometimes great sometimes soo bad patrick roy. Having watched the majority of Roy's career with Montreal I would have to say he was good during those 2 cup runs but other then that he was average at best in the remaining playoffs.
Roy was better than "good" in 1986 and 1993. His performance in 1986 is one of the best ever for a rookie goalie in the playoffs. (Not Ken Dryden good, mind you, but no rookie has ever matched Dryden in 1971). As stated before, I have never, ever seen a player mean more to a Cup championship team (or more deserving of the label playoff MVP) than Roy in 1993. Montreal loses in five or six games to Quebec if not for Roy.

He was that missing piece of the puzzle for Colorado in 1996. You can't describe what he meant to that team (never, ever, underestimate the value of leadership), on and off the ice. He brought a winning attitude and credibility in the pipes that can't be measured. Sakic won the playoff MVP that year, and deservedly so, but Roy could have easily won the Conn Smythe that year.

He wasn't as important to Colorado's run in 2001 as with his first two Cups with Montreal, (in fact, it could be argued he was more valuable to Colorado in 1996) but like New Jersey in 2003, there wasn't a stand-out, shoo-in candidate for the Conn Smythe on Colorado. Roy was likely the most deserving from a group that included Sakic, Blake, Foote and Bourque.

There were other strong playoffs, too. He was great for Montreal in 1994 vs. Boston, even though the Habs lost in the first round. Single-handedly won them a couple games, kept them in a couple others they had no business being in, before the toll of carrying his team on his back caught up with him.

(Incidentally, former NHLer Keith Jones said tonight that Roy is the best leader he ever played with, and Jones played with some pretty darn good leaders).

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
He was that missing piece of the puzzle for Colorado in 1996.

They also rebuilt their defense and added Peter Forsberg within a year.
Quebec had no defense or goalie for the longest time and the organization kept drafting to fill those holes, until Lacroix was hired.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Close call, but I'd say Hasek.

I think a lot of Roy's legend is built around a few of his play-off performances where he was nothing short of phenominal in every game.
But I don't think he was as consistantly clutch as Hasek was/is. As someone pointed out...Roy actually has a losing record in game 7s.
Plus, Hasek is 2-0 vs Roy in head to head elimination games. ('98 olympics, '02 Cup semi-final game 7)

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
God Bless Canada said:
You can't describe what he meant to that team (never, ever, underestimate the value of leadership), on and off the ice.
The closest we can get is watching the Avs now, and look where they are. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad