Hasek Vs. Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan88*

hy guys its round 3 of who is better ? :bow:

we had already jagr vs forsberg (which i voted jagr) and ovechkin - crosby (which i voated ovechkin ,not because i dislike crosby ,i like ovechkin just more)

the other threads ended in an endless oral(written) battle royal between jagr/crosby and ovechkin/forsberg fans
well i doubt i will be else this time but let's give it a shot
who is the best goaltender of all time

Patrick Roy (hold most of the goalie records, 4 stanley cups, the solid rock between the pipes)

or :yo:

Dominik "the dominator" Hasek (6x Vezinas ,the most unothodox goalie (got that from a video clip :teach: ))

i personaly vote for hasek ,even if roy may have had the better career i see haseks goaltending as unreachable by anybody on this globe
on roy highlights reals you'll see amazing saves with sick reflexes and 4 cups :bow:
but on hasek highlights u will see the most spectacular athletic goaltending mixed with a sense of stopping the puck in the sickest way possible by fying and jumping through the crease :bow: :bow: :bow:

now tell me what u think

Last edited by a moderator:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
RangersFan88 said:
hy guys its round 3 of who is better ? :bow:

we had already jagr vs forsberg (which i voted jagr) and ovechkin - crosby (which i voated ovechkin ,not because i dislike crosby ,i like ovechkin just more)

the other threads ended in an endless oral(written) battle royal between jagr/crosby and ovechkin/forsberg fans
well i dought i will be else this time but let's give it a shot
who is the best goaltender of all time

Patrick Roy (hold most of the goalie records)

or

Dominik "the dominator" Hasek (6x Vezinas ,the most unothodox goalie (got that from a video clip :teach: ))

i personaly vote for hasek ,even if roy may have had the better career i see haseks goaltending as unreachable by anybody in this globe
on roy highlights reals you'll see amazing saves with sick reflexes and 4 cups :bow:
but on hasek highlights u will see the most spectacular athletic goaltending mixed with a sense of stopping the puck in the sickest way possible by fying and jumping through the crease :bow: :bow: :bow:

now tell me what u think
Roy. Three Conn Smythe Trophies, and four Cup rings in total. The Habs teams that won in 1986 and 1993 were no better than the teams that Hasek had in Buffalo.

Hasek has the better regular season record, but Roy has the better record in games where they really counted. That's why I pick Roy.

Chinaski*

Hasek. Always liked his style and personality. Never liked Roy much, but he is ok goalie though. But Hasek is the goalie everyone in the world will remember forever (excluding Canada perhaps, they have their own heroes).

The Fuhr*

God Bless Canada said:
Roy. Three Conn Smythe Trophies, and four Cup rings in total. The Habs teams that won in 1986 and 1993 were no better than the teams that Hasek had in Buffalo.

Hasek has the better regular season record, but Roy has the better record in games where they really counted. That's why I pick Roy.

Ya but Hasek single handedly won a gold medal at the Nagano olympics. Thats more impressive then any of Roys cup rings.

Claypool_*

Hasek

He turns any team, no matter how bad, into a playoff team.

Chinaski*

And Hasek played just a year and a half I belive it is right for the real contender for Stanley cup. Roy played for Colorado in their best years.

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
it never ends, does it? :cry:
But ok, I say Hasek (Hasek fan here) and look at his records!

BTW: This thread can turn ugly!

RangersFan88*

CuJo#31 said:
BTW: This thread can turn ugly!

i know ijust checked the forsberg jagr thread
just great :biglaugh:

well i told u it in the intro already ^^

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Chinaski said:
And Hasek played just a year and a half I belive it is right for the real contender for Stanley cup. Roy played for Colorado in their best years.
But Roy won two Cups on Montreal teams that frankly, were no better than what Hasek played on. You can say Montreal didn't have to go through the best team from the regular season that year (the 1986 Oilers and the 1993 Penguins) but Roy was playing so well in both playoffs that neither team would have beat the Habs in the playoffs. And let's keep in mind that even though Roy didn't win the Conn Smythe in 1996, he was the missing piece in Colorado's puzzle. They were eliminated in the playoffs in the first round the year before, despite having the best record in the Eastern Conference. (That was their last year in Quebec). Roy not only gave them that elite No. 1 goalie, he gave them that elite No. 1 goalie with two Conn Smythe Trophies - a track record for winning and playing his best when it mattered most - and instant credibility.

Hasek was good for the Wings in 2002, but how many games did he steal? He was not the Hasek who stood on his head for the Sabres in the late 1990s. (I'd say he was better in the 1998 and 1999 playoffs, but the bottom line is he didn't win the Cup, and like I said, Roy won his Cups on teams no better than the Sabres in 1998 and 1999). Yes, he had seven shutouts, but those weren't the Hasek-style shutouts that featured 40-plus saves, many of them spectacular. Hasek's 2002 shutouts were mostly a reflection of the team in front of him, and Hasek would only have a few challenging saves each night.

Winning the Olympics is great, you'll never hear me question the validity of the Olympics. But nothing in hockey compares to the Stanley Cup playoffs. Outside of a rugby tournament (think of a sport as physical as football, but without the pads, and with several games a weekend instead of one game a week), the Stanley Cup playoffs is the most gruelling, intense competition in sports.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Before this season I'd have said it was a dead heat: each has claim to unparalleled greatness.

AFTER this season I may change my mind: Hasek is playing incredible. How will he play the rest of the season? the playoffs? the Olympics?

You have to admit another gold medal, Vezina and Stanley Cup could change a lot of minds.

Until then....

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Chinaski said:
And Hasek won his cup on a stacked team. What's your point?
Roy has won a couple cups on teams that would not have won it otherwise. Hasek never did that.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Roy-he may not have the Vezinas that Hasek has but the '86 and '93 Cups belonged to him and his ferocious devotion to winning puts him ahead of Dom' in my books especially after the game of goaltending musical chairs that played out in Detroit in '04.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
During his prime, Hasek was better than Roy.

Roy was one of the best pressure goalies ever and had an unbelievable career.

But I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a healthy Hasek at the top of his game. Perhaps the most "unbeatable" goalie ever.

Claypool_*

Forsberg4ever said:
Roy-he may not have the Vezinas that Hasek has but the '86 and '93 Cups belonged to him and his ferocious devotion to winning puts him ahead of Dom' in my books especially after the game of goaltending musical chairs that played out in Detroit in '04.

so if you were a general manager in the NHL and Hasek wanted to play for your team you wouldn't have accepted him back? Ken Holland would have been fired if he didn't let Hasek come back and he went to Colorado or Philly instead.

Besides, Hasek didn't pout and whine after a bad game and demand a trade to another team. He didn't play the worst game of his career in a game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs (a game which Roy is usually money in). He didn't let Robert Reichel (of all players) to score on him in an Olympic shootout.

I don't know how you can use the "musical chairs" as a legit reason to put Roy ahead of Hasek.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
The Habs teams that won in 1986 and 1993 were no better than the teams that Hasek had in Buffalo.

:confused: The 86 and 93 Canadiens are not of legendary stature, but the legend of how bad they were is way overblown.

Montreal had the 7th best record in the NHL in 86 and the 6th in 93. They had the 6th best offense in 86 and the 9th in 93. Their leading scorer in 86 was Mats Naslund who was 8th in league scoring, and in 93 it was Vincent Damphousse who was 24th. Naslund, and Damphousse were also the leading playoff scorers, 5th and 4th overall respectfully.

Buffalo was 10th in 98, and in 99 they were 9th in league standings. They were 17th in offense in both 98 and 99. Their leading scorer in 98 was Miro Satan who was 85th in league scoring, and in 99 he was again their leading scorer and sat 25th in league scoring. In 98 their leading playoff scorers were Donald Audette and Matthew Barnaby, while in 99 they were lead by Jason Woolley and Alexei Zhitnik. Barnaby finished 12th and Wooley was 10th in playoff scoring.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Claypool said:
Besides, Hasek didn't pout and whine after a bad game and demand a trade to another team.
Hasek wasn't left in a game to be embarrased by a rookie coach

Claypool said:
He didn't play the worst game of his career in a game 7 of the Stanley Cup playoffs (a game which Roy is usually money in).
Hasek also didn't win a game 7 Stanley Cup Final.
Or a Conn Smythe Trophy, much less 3.
Or 4 Stanley Cups.
Or 500+ games.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I chose Hasek and it was a tough choice. I just feel that Hasek did more for the Sabres then Roy did for the Avalanche. The Sabres was Hasek's team, you play the Sabres you thought of Hasek. He was just so dominate, sure Roy has the smuthes but if I could have put Hasek on those teams I think he'd of preformed just as well. As a matter of fact, if you gave the coaching staff the choice of Roy or Hasek they'd probobly choose Hasek too. Hasek had (is having) a much shorter career then Roys, but during his prime no one was even close to him. He basically stole the Olympics from Canada, and I hate him for it. But damn he was good.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
From what I can tell, Hasek's 8 year span where he won 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts, and 2 Pearsons is the most dominating goaltending display ever.

2 future Hall of famer's, Pat Roy and Ed Belfour won the 5 Vezinas from '89-'93. As soon as Hasek became a starter in 1994, they never won another. That's 2 HOF goalies in the prime of their careers who were shut out from then on, largely due to Hasek. Very impressive to me.

To me Hasek was CLEARLY the best of his era, and possibly the best ever. That's basing it not only on awards, but on my own two eyes as well. Hasek is the only goalie I ever actually feared as a fan of the Leafs or Team Canada

Last edited:

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
It's close but I'd take Roy. Hasek has tons of Harts and Vezinas, but for me, nothing beats playoff dominance, and Conn Smythes. Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, and Mario Lemieux defer to Patrick Roy when it comes to post-season MVPs. Roy certainly wouldn't trade his three Conn Smythes for two Harts. What good are Harts if you don't win the Cup?

And it doesn't really matter whether or not the '86 or '93 Canadiens were above or below average teams. They were definitely ''better'' than the '99 Sabres, but the important thing is, during those runs Roy made huge saves, stopped pucks normal goalies would not have stopped, and played at least as good as Hasek or any other goalie ever did, and he WON, he didn't lose. Of course I may be a bit biased. I was young in '93 but I knew the Habs were going to win because of Roy, even a red hot Gretzky somehow didn't seem so threatening. Hasek, well... he NEVER won until he went merc, so I never got the same ''Hasek can not possibly lose'' feeling. Because he lost, repeatedly.

The Sabres were definitely not a great team, I'll grant him that, but hey, I have to make my decision somehow, so I'll make it based on the way Roy made me feel. *sigh, he was so dreeeammy

Last edited:

TOPGUN

I Am Terrible!
Jul 31, 2005
Holland
arrbez said:
From what I can tell, Hasek's 8 year span where he won 6 Vezinas, 2 Harts, and 2 Pearsons is the most dominating goaltending display ever.

2 future Hall of famer's, Pat Roy and Ed Belfour won the 5 Vezinas from '89-'93. As soon as Hasek became a starter in 1994, they never won another. That's 2 HOF goalies in the prime of their careers who were shut out from then on, largely due to Hasek. Very impressive to me.

To me Hasek was CLEARLY the best of his era, and possibly the best ever. That's basing it not only on awards, but on my own two eyes as well. Hasek is the only goalie I ever actually feared as a fan of the Leafs or Team Canada

I agree 100%

Well, we can discuss on who is the better of the 2. I agree with that part! But he also won single-handed the gold medal at the Nagano Olympics, I believe he shot down the best snipers in the World in the final or am I wrong?

It is not only the Vezina's (6) and the MVP (2), Lester B. Pearson Award (2) and the list go's on and on! He set a new standard for goaltenders, a standard that only Theodore reached 1 time in his career and nobody else!

He is a winner, if he wasn’t a winner he never got those thing done is his career! The Hasek with the Wings wasn’t the same Hasek with Buffalo, I agree. But when Colorado vs Detroit series came down to game 6 & 7 Hasek shutdown the Avalanche.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
My first and only favorite player in NHL for a long time was Roy and he was one the reasons I became Avs fan, but Hasek was better. Every team with Hasek is contender.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Kaizer said:
My first and only favorite player in NHL for a long time was Roy and he was one the reasons I became Avs fan, but Hasek was better. Every team with Hasek is contender.
And so was every team with Roy

Claypool_*

19nazzy said:

wrong answer. For him to do so, he'd, at one point in time, have to be an MVP calibre goalie. There is no way Roy would have been able to carry the 97-98 Sabres into the playoffs. Don't even try to argue it.

Also, if we're judging the best player by their playoff success, then I guess Mike Vernon and JS Giguere are better than Hasek? :rolleyes:

new question

How many MVP and Norris winners/candidates did Hasek have in Buffalo?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
19nazzy said:
You missed my point. Roy was one of the parts (sometimes the most valuable part) of his contenders. Hasek was the only part of Sabres' success. When he had something good around him had won everything : 2002 Stanley Cup and Nagano 98. In other cases his team were just strong contenders because of only Hasek.

PS It's hard to discuss for me because they are real close. A lot closer that Jagr and Forsberg :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->