Speculation: Has this contract talk affected Marner

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Marner has been pretty brutal for the past couple of games. More than couple honestly. But its completely fine since he has been great all season and players have ups and downs.

Leafsfan13

Feb 13, 2018
Of course Marner is affected by the contract talk.

He is suppose to be buddies with Matthews, but chose to make the biggest day of Matthews life about Mitch Marner.

It was clearly a coordinated attach by the Marner camp waiting for that day, and it backfired.
Lol? That was the media not Marner. As soon as Matthews signed all the media asked about was Marners contract how do you blame that on him?

Reactions: ACC1224

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
As I have said before, if Marner is indeed being negatively affected by the contract sitch he can end it immeidately. Tell his agent to call Dubas and put the $9m/8 proposal back on the table. If Mitch signs for 9x8 he will be giving a hometown discount and will be Saint Mitch in Toronto. This also shows leadership and commitment to the team and thus Mitch would be awarded the C which would keep Dad happy as well.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Possibly. But I remember thinking that Marner had a quiet game "except for that one time of pure magic" several times even before those comments happened. It's OK for players to have periods where they don't look quite like themselves.
Unless your name is Matthews or Nylander.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
As I have said before, if Marner is indeed being negatively affected by the contract sitch he can end it immeidately. Tell his agent to call Dubas and put the $9m/8 proposal back on the table. If Mitch signs for 9x8 he will be giving a hometown discount and will be Saint Mitch in Toronto. This also shows leadership and commitment to the team and thus Mitch would be awarded the C which would keep Dad happy as well.
I like this. Do it up!

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

kb

Aug 28, 2009
People may not have noticed this but in the teams first game back against Detroit Marner was kneed in the side of the head while diving to make a defensive play. His head snapped right back and my instinct told me that he was probably concussed. Surprisingly he came back for the 3rd period but has never been the same since.

Matthews was the same last season after his concussion. Average recovery period is 2 weeks but with serious concussions like the one AJ suffered in the AHL it can take up to 6 months to recover.
This. Concussions are a weird thing. They are not linear in the recovery. People point to Matthews' playoffs and say he was lazy and dogging it. I felt that he probably was having a bit of a setback. I had a severe one, and it seemed fine 2 weeks afterwards, but a setback happened and the next 18 months of my life were not fun - it was a roller coaster, and I was not the same person either. More withdrawn, not quick to smile, unable to think clearly, or process things at times. Imagine being on the ice and not being able to process quickly. Zaitsev suffered a concussion last year, and has never been the same. And what is the biggest complaint? He can't process quickly enough, so he doesn't make good passes.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Would anybody mind if he went from a 100 point pace to an 82 point pace to bring his price point back to reality? He shouldn't be making Kucherov money and it's a lot easier to sell if he doesn't hit 100 pts. Also in these "down games" he still close to PPG. Just hasn't been a world breaker.

Reactions: kb

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
This. Concussions are a weird thing. They are not linear in the recovery. People point to Matthews' playoffs and say he was lazy and dogging it. I felt that he probably was having a bit of a setback. I had a severe one, and it seemed fine 2 weeks afterwards, but a setback happened and the next 18 months of my life were not fun - it was a roller coaster, and I was not the same person either. More withdrawn, not quick to smile, unable to think clearly, or process things at times. Imagine being on the ice and not being able to process quickly. Zaitsev suffered a concussion last year, and has never been the same. And what is the biggest complaint? He can't process quickly enough, so he doesn't make good passes.

I suffered a severe concussion in 2016. It was quite an ordeal. The first 2 months were nothing but headaches, dizziness and confusion. I couldn’t even drive a vehicle. Total recovery was about 6 months but some long term memories were lost forever and relapses were common.

That’s why AJ got off to a slow start to his career inNorth America before breaking out last season.

I don’t think Matthews concussion was quite as severe but every person is different. Recovery times can vary dramatically.

After my original concussion just about any contact with my head could produce symptoms and because my balance was impaired this unfortunately was quite common. That’s probably what happened with AJ last month. He had a relapse from incidental contact.

The bottom line is that if I were playing hockey this would have either prevented me from playing altogether or dramatically reduced my effectiveness as a player.

Mitch to me looks like he just isn’t as quick as usual and we know it’s not because he’s out of shape. In this case it’s probably his head.

Could the contact negotiations be a distraction? Sure. But my guess is that the head injury in the Detroit game is a bigger factor.

Reactions: kb

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Would anybody mind if he went from a 100 point pace to an 82 point pace to bring his price point back to reality? He shouldn't be making Kucherov money and it's a lot easier to sell if he doesn't hit 100 pts. Also in these "down games" he still close to PPG. Just hasn't been a world breaker.

I said it before - he was stupid to not engage in discussions during the season. He was always very unlikely to stay as hot as he was all first half this year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I suffered a severe concussion in 2016. It was quite an ordeal. The first 2 months were nothing but headaches, dizziness and confusion. I couldn’t even drive a vehicle. Total recovery was about 6 months but some long term memories were lost forever and relapses were common.

That’s why AJ got off to a slow start to his career inNorth America before breaking out last season.

I don’t think Matthews concussion was quite as severe but every person is different. Recovery times can vary dramatically.

After my original concussion just about any contact with my head could produce symptoms and because my balance was impaired this unfortunately was quite common. That’s probably what happened with AJ last month. He had a relapse from incidental contact.

The bottom line is that if I were playing hockey this would have either prevented me from playing altogether or dramatically reduced my effectiveness as a player.

Mitch to me looks like he just isn’t as quick as usual and we know it’s not because he’s out of shape. In this case it’s probably his head.

Could the contact negotiations be a distraction? Sure. But my guess is that the head injury in the Detroit game is a bigger factor.
Wow. Sorry to hear that. But I know exactly what you mean because I went through it too. People who have never had them just don't realize that it's affects can be much longer lasting, and the recovery time varies by the individual and the nature of the concussion. I've had several, but the one I referred to happened in 2007. To this day I will get bouts that resemble vertigo. There is a brain fog that comes and goes. Light sensitivities. Nausea without any apparent cause.

I really get concerned when I hear concussion with regards to a player. It's the worst type of injury because it's affects how a person functions, yet there is no visible outward scars. I would not be the least bit surprised if Matthews had a concussion along with the shoulder injury when Trouba hit him hard as he cut into the middle against Winnipeg.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Of course Marner is affected by the contract talk.

He is suppose to be buddies with Matthews, but chose to make the biggest day of Matthews life about Mitch Marner.

It was clearly a coordinated attach by the Marner camp waiting for that day, and it backfired.
Quoted for truth.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lol? That was the media not Marner. As soon as Matthews signed all the media asked about was Marners contract how do you blame that on him?
This.
:laugh: people thinking he called his agent and orchestrated this.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I said it before - he was stupid to not engage in discussions during the season. He was always very unlikely to stay as hot as he was all first half this year.
Agreed. The only mode of off-season leverage that Marner will have is an offer sheet and honestly if one comes in that's ridiculous then he could just sign it and we could benefit from the 4 1st round picks and ability to sign all of our free agents.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This.
:laugh: people thinking he called his agent and orchestrated this.
I don't think that but I think his agent is dumb for mentioning anything about Marner taking one for the team in his ELC. It's a ELC. Who cares? And when an agent says that the media takes it as a reflection of the player's attitude as well so I don't blame Marner just his agent isn't the smartest guy when it comes to comments.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He has a bad game but let's keep it in perspective. The PP has been anemic. Against the Habs, he had 12 ES minutes. The minutes associated with the PP were unproductive and good luck scoring on the PK.
Like the PP the opposition have caught on to Marner. He's pass happy and rarely shoots. This is what has caused the PP to go stale and also what is impacting his play. Maybe the contract stuff is getting to him but I think he is too consistent with his tendencies which isn't granting him the opportunities.
The PP is Marner's fault now?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I kid, I kid.

The PP was too predictable, and that wasn't Marner's fault at all.
The problem is almost history and it only took Tavares to realize he had options other than shooting. It should open up space for Matthew's and Marner to shoot more in the long run. I dont really care who scores as long as they do.

Reactions: dsred and kb

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Kucherov with 92 pts in 58 games...

Taxes or not, Mitch is literally worth at least 3m less per year than Kuch. Even if Kuch signed for 11m in a non tax market, Mitch is not even close to this guy.

Our management are fools if they give Mitch a 11m per year lol

It's LAUGHABLE that they could even be in the same sentence.

Kuch may finish with 130 damn points, DESTROYING McDavid.....

LAUGHABLE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad