Speculation: Has this contract talk affected Marner

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Is it just me or does Mitch seems like he is fighting the puck more. It seems this has just happened recently and coincides with his agent and the media talking about his contract and his having to answer all the reporters constant questions Do you think he is letting this bother him. We all know marner loves playing for the leafs and anytime this stuff is brought up I think it really bothers him and it is showing in his play. Not that his play is bad but not like what his usual skill is at.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I think it's just mid-season fatigue. It's a long season to stay focused start to finish.

He'll be alright. Don't think it's the contract. The questions have come up since Matthews signed. In that time he's got 4 assists in 4 games including setting up the OT winner in Montreal. He's just fighting the puck a little more than usual and not making as sharp of decisions.. all signs of fatigue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonny21 and ACC1224

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't think you can dismiss it.

This may be my own projections, but he hasn't seemed as jovial in interviews lately. I think he feels pulled in a couple of directions. Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think he cares as much about maximizing his potential contract as his camp does.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I don't think so. Ebbs and flows of a lengthy regular season. Can happen to any player. He/his agent didn't want to negotiate during the season, but contracts can get discussed (by others) before or after they're signed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I hope not, but is it just a coincidence that his play started tailing off noticeably since his agent's comments were made public by Feschuk?

Reactions: kb

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
He is a kid. Of course it is affecting him.
Or he is deliberately pooching his stats to bring down his contract value on the re-signing so the team can stay together.:sarcasm:

Reactions: kb and willmma

RLF

May 5, 2014
Is it just me or does Mitch seems like he is fighting the puck more. It seems this has just happened recently and coincides with his agent and the media talking about his contract and his having to answer all the reporters constant questions Do you think he is letting this bother him. We all know marner loves playing for the leafs and anytime this stuff is brought up I think it really bothers him and it is showing in his play. Not that his play is bad but not like what his usual skill is at.

He has been off a bit. Usually the puck is on a string and not so much lately. Fatigue? Nagging injury? Contract? Not sure, but I would say his demeanor seems a bit off as well. He usually looks like he is loving the game and lately he does look...off.

Reactions: kb and stickty111

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
He's slowed down a little bit but that'll happen in a long season. All that matters is that he brings it in the playoffs like he did last year

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

I sincerely hope that Willy + AM + JT out-play & out-stat him for the rest of the year.

Not because I don't like him .... I just don't want to see him sign Matthews contract.

Reactions: kb and freshwind

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Last night was easily his worst of the season, he was fighting the puck and showed no IQ out there. I think maybe that firestorm did drain him, we always forget there are things we don't see or know. Kid has been incredibly consistent this season, as noted by Bobby Mac, it's okay is someone else leads the charge for a few.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I kind of figured Marner would hit a slump sooner than later. The contract talks did come at a horrible time though, f*** that clown Ferris.

I think Nylander will earn more of Leafs nation's respect back with Marner slumping by stepping up in his own way.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He's on pace for less than 100 points now! trade this guy while he still has value!

He'll be fine, just the ebs and flows of the season. Even the best have a bad stretch or two during the season.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
People may not have noticed this but in the teams first game back against Detroit Marner was kneed in the side of the head while diving to make a defensive play. His head snapped right back and my instinct told me that he was probably concussed. Surprisingly he came back for the 3rd period but has never been the same since.

Matthews was the same last season after his concussion. Average recovery period is 2 weeks but with serious concussions like the one AJ suffered in the AHL it can take up to 6 months to recover.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Long season everyone has a lull sometime in season. Nothing out of the ordinary Reilly and Mathews have slowed down from start of season as well. I'm sure they will figure it out and get hot again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad