Has the Rangers Window Closed?

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
I think it depends. If Gorton is committed to rebuilding the team in the next 3-4 years with tanking, I think we could. If we are trading Hank, Klein, Nash, Staal, Girardi, and can get get 3/4 first round picks and a few decent prospects, I think we have a roster bad enough to be picking in the top 5 for the next few years. We have no firsts this year, but we could acquire a few with a fire-sale, and then we should have at least one early first for 2017, 2018, 2019 with a Leafs-esque bad team. I look at what the Leafs did, and I think we could do something similar. We actually have more talent to sell off than they did.

I posted this in the roster building thread last night, the plan for a contender in 2019-2020. The ?'s are positions that need to be sorted out and filled during the rebuild, hopefully from high picks and prospects acquired.

The Rangers never tank, at least on purpose. Would I be ok with what you are proposing? Yea. Do I think it will happen? No

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This offseason will be one of the most important ones for this franchise in a long time. We're going to find out first hand what kind of GM Gorton is. This team can compete for the cup next year IF they make the right moves in the offseason and IF rookies and sophomores such as Miller, McI, Skjei, Lindberg, Buchnevich can play up to their potential.

Chicago has been able to have like 12 retools in the past few years and have been extremely successful. I don't see why we can't do the same

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
We can hope for a few things...

1. Dan Girardi either...
- A. Gets traded.
- B. Retires (not likely at all).
- C. Gets bought out.
- D. Recovers well this offseason, is revitalized and AV doesn't play him in all 82 games and looks a little like the Danny G of old. (probably even more unlikely)

2. Marc Staal either...
- A. Gets traded and wants to go play in Carolina with Jordan and possibly Eric as I could see Eric going back there for cheap.
- B. Recovers well this offseason, is revitalized and works on his skating to get him to at least an NHL level to be an effective defenseman again.

3. Hope Rick Nash gets traded because he's part of the problem here in NY. Guy can't turn it up when he needs to.

4. Yandle wants way too much money and they SOMEHOW (very unlikely) sign Stamkos. You need a superstar goalscorer in his prime and Stamkos would fit that bill.

Again, this is just wishful thinking. They'll probably re-sign Yandle, wont be able to get rid of Staal, Girardi and Nash and Stamkos will go elsewhere.

That's what I realistically think will happen this offseason.

But to answer the actual question, the window is just about closed. Doing what I said would help keep it open a crack though.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Not one player is untouchable IMHO

No I know some players will be more likely to move than others based on Cap and contract restrictions but that's not my point.

For the first time in a long time, I would not be upset about ANY player being moved at this point. I have no love to lose.

I might be a little upset about losing Brady Skjei, but I have no problem with any veterans.

I was on-board bigtime with the "Win Now" mentality the year we took on MSL, and we came damn close so I'm not unhappy about going for it.

One player I am not real happy about is McD. Not his fault really, but we as fans as well as the organization just expected too much from him. He is not ELITE. He cannot carry a team, and he is not the leader we need. JMHO

Needless to say, my expectations for next season are not high. We have to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The window closed in 2014 with a Hail Mary in 2015, so...yeah...

It's really time to suck it up and re-tool. Please Rangers! Don't go down the old patchwork road again.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad