Speculation: Has the fan passion and following for the Canadiens hit a new peak of intensity?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's just very boring uninspired hockey and most of the time we're outplayed. It's hard to get passionate when you're outshot all the time and relying on your goalie to win.

We'll flip the switch in the playoffs though. PK ain't gonna sit back. We're going to be better and the passion will be there.

Well, we were kindof in that situation in 2010 (playoffs at the very least), and it was probably the peak of interest.

I think the change in expectations has definitely a role to play in the interest during regular season.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It's just very boring uninspired hockey and most of the time we're outplayed. It's hard to get passionate when you're outshot all the time and relying on your goalie to win.

We'll flip the switch in the playoffs though. PK ain't gonna sit back. We're going to be better and the passion will be there.

Agreed. Most boring season I've personally witnessed, as much as I can remember. It's the first year that I've just refused to watch a game on a few occasions, and flipped channels in the 2nd or 3rd... That 2010 team with Gomez and Cammalleri, with all its flaws, was more exciting than this. I have NO CLUE how and why we won all those games this year, so many guys playing like ****...

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
The peak you seem to be referring to may apply to younger fans who haven't witnessed the glory days. In the old days there were riots when the Habs won a Cup. Of course, the population has grown but the intensity level wouldn't be greater.

We had a riot when the habs got to the conference final.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I thought I was the only one.

Despite their record I don't feel the excitement. I guess 82 games of boring hockey will do that to you. 2010 was something special and even last year seemed to have more buzz ! Don't see as many cars with canadiens flags on their windows either. I'm guessing that will probably change if the habs can manage to make it deeper in the playoffs.

Also it was fun going to cage au sport when the habs would score five goals and get free chicken wings. There's just something boring about winning 1-0. 2-1.

It's not the length of the season

It's not the winning of close defensive games

It's the mind numbing negativity of this board that has diminished the excitement of this Habs season. Every post is a negative fest. I can imagine some people buying into boring/losers/negative mentality if that's all one engages in.

**** that ****. Habs in the playoffs again. Time to fight for a Cup. Regardless of who plays where or with whom. Regardless of coach. Regardless of injuries. Regardless of opponent.

**** the negativity. It's Stanley Cup chasing time. Playoff hockey.

Go Habs Go.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I find the passion has actually dwindled over the past couple of seasons. The intensity of the fans hasn't really been there like in the past. The hype hasn't been the same since Boivin left. He was really good at creating an atmosphere around the club.

Pierre Boivin was a marketing wizard. He had a lot to do with the popularity of the Habs in the Kovalev/Koivu era.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Agreed. Most boring season I've personally witnessed, as much as I can remember. It's the first year that I've just refused to watch a game on a few occasions, and flipped channels in the 2nd or 3rd... That 2010 team with Gomez and Cammalleri, with all its flaws, was more exciting than this. I have NO CLUE how and why we won all those games this year, so many guys playing like ****...

Pacioretty: Career year
Subban: Career year
Price: Career year
Gallagher: Career year
Galchenyuk: Career year
Markov: Best season since 2008-2009
Plekanec: 3rd best season in career, 2nd highest goals total in a season
Weise: Career year

Me thinks people are so concerned with the Eller/Galchenyuk/Desharnais/Therrien debates that they cannot see that, indeed, the whole core of the team pretty much had career years. More often than not, that will translate into on-ice success. It's more correlative than any fancy stats and player usages you can come up with.

As for the main idea of the thread, I would tend to say the level of hype around the 07-08 and 08-09 season was much higher indeed. There was something in the air back then that isn't there anymore. Fans were actually much louder than today. I also remember at the draft in 2008 you could hear people talking about Sundin and Tanguay all around the city.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Pierre Boivin was a marketing wizard. He had a lot to do with the popularity of the Habs in the Kovalev/Koivu era.

Indeed. I don't think he'd even have allowed the mess that 24CH and the Canadiens Twitter Account have become.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
It seems to have fizzled out a bit throughout the season. I don't enjoy the brand of hockey they play, dump and chase, 24 icings a game, very little scoring. I do enjoy the goaltending but something about the way they play, I enjoyed watching them last year more than this year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's not the length of the season

It's not the winning of close defensive games

It's the mind numbing negativity of this board that has diminished the excitement of this Habs season. Every post is a negative fest. I can imagine some people buying into boring/losers/negative mentality if that's all one engages in.

**** that ****. Habs in the playoffs again. Time to fight for a Cup. Regardless of who plays where or with whom. Regardless of coach. Regardless of injuries. Regardless of opponent.

**** the negativity. It's Stanley Cup chasing time. Playoff hockey.

Go Habs Go.
Nobody is forcing you to read the posts here. Some folks will be positive on some things others will be negative on them. That's how opinions and message boards work.

By and large, most folks are positive on the team overall. The coach is controversial and his use of some players is controversial. Overall though, almost everyone agrees that this is a good roster and we're generally going in the right direction.

People have a right to be critical as they wish. People have a right to predict a Sens win if they wish. It doesn't make them any less of a fan, it's simply their opinion.

Personally, I think we're going to the finals this year. We have the team for it and Price is a monster. I have no problem with anyone who disagrees with me on this though and I can certainly see why some here are picking the Sens to win.
Pacioretty: Career year
Subban: Career year
Price: Career year
Gallagher: Career year
Galchenyuk: Career year
Markov: Best season since 2008-2009
Plekanec: 3rd best season in career, 2nd highest goals total in a season
Weise: Career year

Me thinks people are so concerned with the Eller/Galchenyuk/Desharnais/Therrien debates that they cannot see that, indeed, the whole core of the team pretty much had career years. More often than not, that will translate into on-ice success. It's more correlative than any fancy stats and player usages you can come up with.

As for the main idea of the thread, I would tend to say the level of hype around the 07-08 and 08-09 season was much higher indeed. There was something in the air back then that isn't there anymore. Fans were actually much louder than today. I also remember at the draft in 2008 you could hear people talking about Sundin and Tanguay all around the city.
How could most of those guys not have career years though? They are just coming into their prime now. The real question is whether or not they're playing to their true potential and in many/most cases I don't think they are. Moreover, the team overall didn't play all that well in the regular season - regardless of the record.

The good news is that I think these guys have another gear and we'll see it in the playoffs.
It seems to have fizzled out a bit throughout the season. I don't enjoy the brand of hockey they play, dump and chase, 24 icings a game, very little scoring. I do enjoy the goaltending but something about the way they play, I enjoyed watching them last year more than this year.
The goaltending has been really fun to watch. Seeing Carey Price make that backwards save was insane. THAT has been something worth watching this season for sure.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I actually think the media plays a big role in that as well. As much as we hate the drama and favoritism they exhibit sometimes, we have to admit they are talking about the Habs a lot more than they used to. Shows like 24ch help as well, it brings us closer to the team, as scripted as it might be. I actually feel i know some of these players better than i used to in the past.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
nope.

why?

boring coach style for the average joe who wont value defense + fans out west cant watch all 82 games unless they have center ice or find streams online.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's hard to say, but I think what made the fans particularly crazy and loud in the 07-08 season is that the team sucked for almost 20 years straight before that.Then all of a sudden we finish 1st.Now it's been a while since we were a decent team.07-08 was a catharsis.The whole centennial thing was also well timed with the team getting better so it was a perfect storm.

And let's face it, nobody today is as exciting as Kovalev was in 07-08.

As for previous eras, I saw the late-80s/early 90s , but I was young so it's hard to get a read on the overall passion of the fans.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Having watched this team since the beginning of the 70s, my take is that fan excitement is tied to the dramatic storyline more than the quality of hockey. Great teams win games; great stories win hearts. The 70s decade was a Habs empire. We won the Cup six times. Amazing team, yes. Dramatic story, no. It's simply impossible to experience the same intensity level when you've been guzzling success on a non-stop Stanley Cup binge. Taste buds get numb. Yeah, I know, poor us. But the truth is Montreal was the star quarterback who always won and always got the girl, so we just couldn't get as excited when he notched another victory. A few empty years later we were a little hungrier, which is why 1986 was more fun than the fading dynasty years. We didn't see Patrick Roy coming. Here was this skinny kid in nets for us, grabbing the playoffs by the throat and carrying the team all the way. Even better was 1993 when he did it again with a ridiculous string of OT wins. Now THAT was a storyline!

Then the payback years, when the debt came due for all the currency we'd taken for so long. Some awful seasons and poor management, leaving us starving by the end of the lockout. The slow climb back up the ladder was fun and it made us feel emotionally invested because the Habs weren't that good. Our team was mortal. Vulnerable. We won, but it was hard, and never completely successful. We savoured every taste of success because, unlike the earlier years, each was hard fought and we didn't know when the next taste would come. But it was frustrating. Despite Koivu and Kovalev the Habs were never quite good enough. 2010 was a reboot and lo and behold, there was another goalie carrying us farther than expected. Halak's run, for me, was every bit as exciting as the dynasty years because we were heavy underdogs getting way closer to success than we deserved. What a trip! Nice to be back in the final-four after so long!

And now our current string of successful seasons has raised our expectations higher than they've been in decades. Final-four? Been there. Now it's Cup-time. I'm as invested in this team as I ever was, but in a different way than before. Today I'm a more knowledgable fan and see the team like a building-inspector, not a voyeur. I like watching the structure being assembled. I saw the Habs like a kid in the 70s, a fan in the 80s and 90s, and now I see the team as someone who's more aware of the game behind the game. Part of that's because of this site and the discussions with our fans, and battles with other fans. You learn a lot. Draft picks, systems, contracts, roster choices -- it's a deeper appreciation for the subtleties I didn't notice 20 years ago. I love the Habs because I understand them better today, and because I've had to close ranks around them as other fans poke them with insults. Boring? Nah - boring was pre-lockout when we were flailing about with no direction. For me, nothing's more exciting than the calculated strategy that's transforming this team into a winner. Kovalev was cool, but he was just a player. I'm all about the team.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Having watched this team since the beginning of the 70s, my take is that fan excitement is tied to the dramatic storyline more than the quality of hockey. Great teams win games; great stories win hearts. The 70s decade was a Habs empire. We won the Cup six times. Amazing team, yes. Dramatic story, no. It's simply impossible to experience the same intensity level when you've been guzzling success on a non-stop Stanley Cup binge. Taste buds get numb. Yeah, I know, poor us. But the truth is Montreal was the star quarterback who always won and always got the girl, so we just couldn't get as excited when he notched another victory. A few empty years later we were a little hungrier, which is why 1986 was more fun than the fading dynasty years. We didn't see Patrick Roy coming. Here was this skinny kid in nets for us, grabbing the playoffs by the throat and carrying the team all the way. Even better was 1993 when he did it again with a ridiculous string of OT wins. Now THAT was a storyline!

Then the payback years, when the debt came due for all the currency we'd taken for so long. Some awful seasons and poor management, leaving us starving by the end of the lockout. The slow climb back up the ladder was fun and it made us feel emotionally invested because the Habs weren't that good. Our team was mortal. Vulnerable. We won, but it was hard, and never completely successful. We savoured every taste of success because, unlike the earlier years, each was hard fought and we didn't know when the next taste would come. But it was frustrating. Despite Koivu and Kovalev the Habs were never quite good enough. 2010 was a reboot and lo and behold, there was another goalie carrying us farther than expected. Halak's run, for me, was every bit as exciting as the dynasty years because we were heavy underdogs getting way closer to success than we deserved. What a trip! Nice to be back in the final-four after so long!

And now our current string of successful seasons has raised our expectations higher than they've been in decades. Final-four? Been there. Now it's Cup-time. I'm as invested in this team as I ever was, but in a different way than before. Today I'm a more knowledgable fan and see the team like a building-inspector, not a voyeur. I like watching the structure being assembled. I saw the Habs like a kid in the 70s, a fan in the 80s and 90s, and now I see the team as someone who's more aware of the game behind the game. Part of that's because of this site and the discussions with our fans, and battles with other fans. You learn a lot. Draft picks, systems, contracts, roster choices -- it's a deeper appreciation for the subtleties I didn't notice 20 years ago. I love the Habs because I understand them better today, and because I've had to close ranks around them as other fans poke them with insults. Boring? Nah - boring was pre-lockout when we were flailing about with no direction. For me, nothing's more exciting than the calculated strategy that's transforming this team into a winner. Kovalev was cool, but he was just a player. I'm all about the team.

Solid post.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

Somebody said something racist, I think it was about DSP I'm not 100% sure, and the Habs twitter team actually replied to him and asked him something like "Aren't you ashamed to behave like that?" (really paraphrasing here).

Not only did their choice to answer to that individual put his racist tweet on the Habs twitter front page for anybody else to see, but they also exposed the guy to thousands of other fans to insult him and possible even dox him irl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad