Speculation: Has the fan passion and following for the Canadiens hit a new peak of intensity?

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
It's so insane the massive numbers of people that the Habs have behind now. I see nearly everyone out there behind the CH. No matter the ethnicity, age bracket, religious or political affiliation, everyone is a Habs fan, regardless of their differences.

I know they had a wonderful season this year, 50 wins, division champs, etc but you could speculate fairly easily that at least 80% of Montreal area/rest of Quebec is really Habs crazy.

Habs mania was not like that before, even during the 2007-08 season, the season after the lockout, 2005-06, and even in the last 2 ECF runs. Charismatic elite players like Subban/Gallagher/Price helps also.

If the Habs win the cup this year, I guess there would be 2.5 million habs fans( and out of that number, easily 1,8- 2 millions from quebec) at Montreal to attend the parade. Of course by estimating this number, I expect a lot of Habs fans from Ontario/Vancouver/Nova Scotia/USA/Alberta/Europe to come to Montreal and increase the numbers.

Last edited:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I would say the peak was somewhere around the 07-08 season and 08-09 season. It didn't feel the same after that 2009 cleanup. Uncle Bob let go too many players that we were familiar and learned to love for many years. It was just weird cheering for a team that had so many new faces at the same time.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The peak in energy around the city imo was more after the lockout leading to the cap era starting in 05-06 leading up to our top place finish in 07-08.
People had missed hockey that year, when it came back, people couldn't get enough of it. More and more time slots were given to shows covering the Habs. Bell Center was always sold out and filled to the rim.
I noticed a lot more girls were becoming fan, maybe it coincided with women hockey gaining in popularity.
It also became a lot more of a social thing. Gathering with friends to watch the games. I think the year following the lockout I watched every single game with friends. Now I don't even do that once a week.

But since the lockout, as bad as Gainey was, he was never Houle bad. Our team made the POs all but one year under Gainey. Prior to that we missed it 4 out of 5 years.
I'm sure that played a part.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's so insane the massive numbers of people that the Habs have behind now. I see nearly everyone out there behind the CH. No matter the ethnicity, age bracket, religious or political affiliation, everyone is a Habs fan, regardless of their differences.

I know they had a wonderful season this year, 50 wins, division champs, etc but you could speculate fairly easily that at least 80% of Montreal area/rest of Quebec is really Habs crazy.

Habs mania was not like that before, even during the 2007-08 season, the season after the lockout, 2005-06, and even in the last 2 ECF runs. Charismatic elite players like Subban/Gallagher/Price helps also.

If the Habs win the cup this year, I guess there would be 2.5 million habs fans( and out of that number, easily 1,8- 2 millions from quebec) at Montreal to attend the parade. Of course by estimating this number, I expect a lot of Habs fans from Ontario/Vancouver/Nova Scotia/USA/Alberta/Europe to come to Montreal and increase the numbers.
The peak you seem to be referring to may apply to younger fans who haven't witnessed the glory days. In the old days there were riots when the Habs won a Cup. Of course, the population has grown but the intensity level wouldn't be greater.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
hard not to love this team. so many players that are easy to love: price, patches, gallagher, subban, weise, old man markov, plekanec, to a lesser degree galchenyuk.

like i said, hate the coach, but that's a team that's easy to get attached to

mus1cx

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
I actually love this era of the habs. They're a bunch of likeable guys that seem to genuinely enjoy playing together.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The peak you seem to be referring to may apply to younger fans who haven't witnessed the glory days. In the old days there were riots when the Habs won a Cup. Of course, the population has grown but the intensity level wouldn't be greater.

This. Plus, it's probably significant that the amount and breadth of we're exposed to these days, with advances in connectivity and information proliferation, affects our perception of how big of a deal something is "overall". More and more people becoming more and more exposed to more more and more people/opinions in more and more places... but not necessarily fueling the "intensity" that surrounds the team locally, where the benchmark for Habs passion is set. It's just becoming easier and easier for people to get their opinions, no matter how extreme or out there, in front of other people.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm more interested in the number of Habs Fans worldwide.
It seems the one thing our ex pats take with them is their love for the Habs.
The roots are super strong and their kids pick up on it naturally.

It's Bloody Fantastic!

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I have to agree with the OP

i look around and i cannot beleive how many people are in love with the team atm the last couple years

some of my best friends who couldnt give a **** about hockey are all invested now, its crazy for me lol

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It was higher back in the Koivu/Kovalev days for sure.

Everyone was a Habs fan then, EVERYONE.

They were all like "yo, bro, bro Kovalev, bro"

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
In the words of Buzz Lightyear...to infinity and beyond... . Habs fans have hit infinity and beyond passion for the Habs previously , number of times, so all you can do is tie.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I think one key difference between this team and the previous teams going back even further is the bright future ahead. Most of the core players on the team are home grown and young. Even though we just had a good season (50 wins) I think most fans know this team is just scratching the surface, will only get better in the years ahead and be a contender for years. Most of the impact players are all in their mid 20's with a couple of more kids on the way that will be key pieces. I can't remember the last time we had so many young good players on the team that fans are in love with, maybe since late mid 80's with Richer, Roy, Lemieux, Corson, Naslund, Chelios..

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I've never cared less about hockey than I do now.

Probably because I'm getting older, have other obligations/hobbies, and because THE DAMN SEASON IS TOO LONG.

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
To be honest, it doesn't feel as intense as in some years past.
Weren't we having trouble selling out the Bell Center at the beginning of the year? Also, I remember the building being louder...

That could change on a dime though, 1st round is usually the most exciting hockey!

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I find the passion has actually dwindled over the past couple of seasons. The intensity of the fans hasn't really been there like in the past. The hype hasn't been the same since Boivin left. He was really good at creating an atmosphere around the club.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The 2010 run is probably the most intense experience I've had as a Habs fan. The Halak hype was just nuts, and beating the Caps and Pens, the two big guns in the east, was just insane.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

Probably because I'm getting older, have other obligations/hobbies, and because THE DAMN SEASON IS TOO LONG.

I thought I was the only one.

Despite their record I don't feel the excitement. I guess 82 games of boring hockey will do that to you. 2010 was something special and even last year seemed to have more buzz ! Don't see as many cars with canadiens flags on their windows either. I'm guessing that will probably change if the habs can manage to make it deeper in the playoffs.

Also it was fun going to cage au sport when the habs would score five goals and get free chicken wings. There's just something boring about winning 1-0. 2-1.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
While it is soooo nice now to go into a season feeling some confidence about not only making the play-offs , but being more concerned about getting home ice, cannot say I am hyped up. Maybe because now that we are a almost sure fire play-off team, I need to feel we have a very real chance at a Cup and I do not see it with the style of play we use.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I thought I was the only one.

Despite their record I don't feel the excitement. I guess 82 games of boring hockey will do that to you. 2010 was something special and even last year seemed to have more buzz ! Don't see as many cars with canadiens flags on their windows either. I'm guessing that will probably change if the habs can manage to make it deeper in the playoffs.

Also it was fun going to cage au sport when the habs would score five goals and get free chicken wings. There's just something boring about winning 1-0. 2-1.

Well, first of all, the 2010 group wasn't exactly ... exciting. For all the flak thrown at Therrien for playing boring hockey, well, that 2010 group was coached by Jacques Martin.

It might also be a thing of expectations. It was an achievement to reach the playoffs in 2010. Not that the team was bad.... but it was a bubble team, which exceeded expectations. Reaching the SCF, with the current team, would be about the equivalent of reaching the 2nd round with the 2010 team.

Meanwhile, with this team, it's a solid disappointment if we do not reach the 2nd round, and a mild one if we do not reach the 3rd.

And the above doesn't address the fact that there was 82 games before this one, and that this is A LOT of games, at least 12 too much as far as I'm concerned. Every game becomes somewhat important with current parity. But it's only "potential" importance. Meanwhile, every playoff game is significant.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
:handclap:

That said, I don't think any of our players are Koivu/Kovalev level just yet. Maybe surpassed them in talent or effectiveness but not in aura.

Totally agree as far as forwards are concerned. Price and Subban otherwise exceeded Koivu/Kovalev.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

It's just very boring uninspired hockey and most of the time we're outplayed. It's hard to get passionate when you're outshot all the time and relying on your goalie to win.

We'll flip the switch in the playoffs though. PK ain't gonna sit back. We're going to be better and the passion will be there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad