Has the East finally overtaken the West

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Doesn't the Cup Winner usually come from the weaker overall conference since (presumably) they can take it easier during the regular season and first couple of playoff rounds? I could swear I saw a study on this once somewhere...

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It's not the East vs West. It's Pens vs NHL. What I mean is the successful teams now are following the 2016 Pens blueprint of speed and rolling all lines. Several teams are using that blueprint including this years Caps, Vegas, Jets, Leafs. The teams of the past like Hawks Kings can't win because of this major change in the NHL. The successful teams will be the ones that can best perfect the Pens 2016 blueprint until some other innovation comes along.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
It's not the East vs West. It's Pens vs NHL. What I mean is the successful teams now are following the 2016 Pens blueprint of speed and rolling all lines. Several teams are using that blueprint including this years Caps, Vegas, Jets, Leafs. The teams of the past like Hawks Kings can't win because of this major change in the NHL. The successful teams will be the ones that can best perfect the Pens 2016 blueprint until some other innovation comes along.

Hawks and Kings can’t win anymore because they simply lack depth they used to have (blame salary cap). Preds and Ducks have underachieved for what they have on the roster and I feel Ducks are in decline/retool.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

The 16 Pens arent the first to have 3 good lines....

Dont Toews Me Bro

Mar 20, 2018
Explain...the cup is the ultimate goal, no?

True but I don't think it's fair to measure success just on Cup wins alone. I think both conferences have been pretty even lately. The East has the last 3 cup winning teams but it also has a lot more teams that you know aren't making the playoffs, while the West is more consistent across the board.

Let me ask you this, if Conference A has 1 team that won 3 straight cups, 1 decent contender and 14 teams that are hot garbage (6 of which would make the playoffs by default) and Conference B has 10 good or great teams and 6 mediocre/bad teams, which would you say is the better conference?

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
True but I don't think it's fair to measure success just on Cup wins alone. I think both conferences have been pretty even lately. The East has the last 3 cup winning teams but it also has a lot more teams that you know aren't making the playoffs, while the West is more consistent across the board.

Let me ask you this, if Conference A has 1 team that won 3 straight cups, 1 decent contender and 14 teams that are hot garbage (6 of which would make the playoffs by default) and Conference B has 10 good or great teams and 6 mediocre/bad teams, which would you say is the better conference?

Completely get what you're saying, but at the end of the day if the team in conference A keeps winning cups, then conference A is the superior division until dethroned...at least in my eyes. I personally think both conferences have their top end teams and then there is a drop off. The fact that the last 3 cups have gone to the East is what makes their conference superior (in my eyes). Everyone has their own way of looking at things, I see it from both sides.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Of course the east has gotten better but I would't be surprised if the next three cups went to the Jets/Predators which is why I wouldn't strictly cup count.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You have McDavid and you still couldn't make the playoffs.
Both my teams are crap

So is yours.

At least I'm not boasting about sweeping a regular season series against a team who circles the date they play your team for their backup to play.

Nucks are trash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad