Has the Canadian broadcast schedule changed this year?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
It seems to me that in the past Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday were days where games were broadcast on national channels instead of regional channels. But it seems like this year many weekends have Canadian teams playing on channels only available in certain regions. To make it extra frustrating it also seems like many of these days Toronto will be on multiple channels.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I know there was a random Sens game on TSN in the afternoon last week which was really weird to see. They didn't put any information out about any changes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It seems to me that in the past Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday were days where games were broadcast on national channels instead of regional channels. But it seems like this year many weekends have Canadian teams playing on channels only available in certain regions. To make it extra frustrating it also seems like many of these days Toronto will be on multiple channels.

I think there might be more afternoon games involving canadian teams on Saturdays, or at least it feels that way. Maybe those matinees are not getting picked up nationally?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I don’t know if anyone has noticed but ever since Rogers Sportsnet took over TSN are the primary hockey source for the NHL, there is way more attention to Canadian teams and it’s annoying for us non fans of Canadian teams in Canada. Sabres fan living in Canada for instance.

I totally get why the network does this and even TSN did it but not to this extent.

For instance the American games get no coverage with panels the just go right to the regional feed they pay to get, rather then send their own broadcast crew.

Even highlights unless it’s a slow night you’ll never see American team vs American team highlight, especially in full during games.

Again, financially it all makes sense but it’s tough, it makes it feel like American teams don’t matter when 24/31 is. It’s only until playoff time when they do now more or less and if your team doesent make the playoffs we’ll...good luck ever seeing main stream topics on your team.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I don’t know if anyone has noticed but ever since Rogers Sportsnet took over TSN are the primary hockey source for the NHL, there is way more attention to Canadian teams and it’s annoying for us non fans of Canadian teams in Canada.
Good. A pox on thee

Reactions: skeena1

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don’t know if anyone has noticed but ever since Rogers Sportsnet took over TSN are the primary hockey source for the NHL, there is way more attention to Canadian teams and it’s annoying for us non fans of Canadian teams in Canada. Sabres fan living in Canada for instance.
Uhh yeah that's how it should be. Canadian networks show Canadian teams. Not many Canadians are going to tune in to watch Buffalo, Florida or Arizona play.

It wouldn't be a problem if Canadian networks stuck with Canadian teams + ocassionally showing popular American teams.
If you want the other teams, there's ways to watch them apart from Canadian networks

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Uhh yeah that's how it should be. Canadian networks show Canadian teams. Not many Canadians are going to tune in to watch Buffalo, Florida or Arizona play.

It wouldn't be a problem if Canadian networks stuck with Canadian teams + ocassionally showing popular American teams.
If you want the other teams, there's ways to watch them apart from Canadian networks

Uh, did you not read my whole post? I said TWICE what you just said. It totally makes sense and understand it’s how it should be because of ratings, along with everything else. This is why I included that in my post incase people said what you did, and I said it more then once.

No clue why you felt it necessary to point out something I already did twice. My point was just TSN on Wednesday nights would do a Double header and sometimes American and that was fun. That was it, I have no problems understanding why they are doing what they are....just thought I would say that, for a third time....

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Uh, did you not read my whole post? I said TWICE what you just said. It totally makes sense and understand it’s how it should be because of ratings, along with everything else. This is why I included that in my post incase people said what you did, and I said it more then once.

No clue why you felt it necessary to point out something I already did twice. My point was just TSN on Wednesday nights would do a Double header and sometimes American and that was fun. That was it, I have no problems understanding why they are doing what they are....just thought I would say that, for a third time....
Apologies.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
in Winnipeg 70% of other Canadian teams games are blacked out on TSN and Sportsnet.

CBC hockey night in Canada does not show Jets games on Saturday night.

Even if the Jets game is not on CBC it will generally be on Sportsnet which is still part of the Hockey Night in Canada package for Saturday night.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad