Has Ryan Jones earned himself an extension?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I'm glad he upped his trade value at the deadline. His next service to the Oilers will be getting us a decent pick back.

Sloth Slothersons*

Ehh if we can't find an upgrade sign him I guess. Would rather move on to bigger and better things.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
Maybe at league minimum, but would rather just let Pitlick and some other prospect fight it out.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Please don't sign Jones again. If you can something for him trade him, if not let him go.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Ryan Jones was a valuable player because he was a threat to score playing on the 3rd/4th line.

He hasn't scored a goal in what... 30 games?

He has been better the last... 1? 2? games... But he was a complete non factor the first 30 or so. Not sure Ryan Jones has it anymore. We need players who can be more of a factor more often out there. He's too content to just go out there and skate around now a days. Without his scoring touch that doesn't cut it.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
He's not getting results now, but he was effective for the two years previous to the injury.

18g 7a 25pts
17g 16a 33pts

He seems to be finding his game again, I'd give him another year at the right price.

Same here. He's also surprisingly a decent scrapper. I'd welcome a one year deal.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
1 year deal with lower 4th line pay (sub 1 mil) would be fine with me. If he gets a better offer, good for him. If not, there's probably a spot for him on the 4th here. Say he falters, then he plays in OKC; no one is going to claim him on waivers.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Thats one of the reasons we suck big time! We hold on and reward unconsistant players like Gagner and jonesy who doesnt even fit the team. We bring in longshots like joensuu who was a injuryprone and made 2-3 good games in his years with Islanders. Ference as the captain was the second mistake before the start of this season 4-5 d man and new in the org, Eakins was the first, speaks like a multi cup winning coach and coaches like a whl coach.

by the way cant jonesy bring more the a 5-6 pick, no one even claimed him when they waived him and he was free of charge.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Ryan Jones was a valuable player because he was a threat to score playing on the 3rd/4th line.

He hasn't scored a goal in what... 30 games?

He has been better the last... 1? 2? games... But he was a complete non factor the first 30 or so. Not sure Ryan Jones has it anymore. We need players who can be more of a factor more often out there. He's too content to just go out there and skate around now a days. Without his scoring touch that doesn't cut it.

I agree. Like someone else mentioned, we need actual hockey players. jones tries incredibly hard, but accomplishes next to nothing, which is kind of impressive if you think about it, in a sad sort of way.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
I say cut him loose. He clearly isn't self motivated. Turns it on or off depending on how close he is to being replaced. This last little blip is too little too late as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
At the beginning of the year Jones figured he was playing okay. Demoted to minors and gets recalled. Crashes and bangs for 1 game and then floats. The past couple games he is getting a little dirtier and chucking the mitts which is much improved but he hasn't been getting many points so I think he knows he has to go there or another demotion.

After the Olympic break I figure brass is going to bring up players to see how they can play up here. Jones probably knows if he doesn't grit it up he will be hugging the popcorn machine or going down. I don't think you can get anything on the trade market period. I would give him a camp invite and see what he can do but contract, sorry has to earn that one. Can probably get same output at a cheaper price on the farm.

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Maybe but I think he will a depth pick up for a playoff team. Not much more than a 4th rounder

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
He's probably earned himself another year in the NHL at minimum salary, but 6 good games does not make up for an entire year of being a borderline AHL/NHL player. I hope he signs, but not here.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
Maybe at league minimum, but would rather just let Pitlick and some other prospect fight it out.

I agree with this. I think that Pitlick will be getting Jones' spot on the team. I would like to see Pitlick get an extended look because he did look good in his 3 games here.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Hendricks seems to be his catalyst, maybe the fun is back. Sign him for one year.
Seemed to change a lot since his eye injury. Maybe he is back to himself. Decent on the pk.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Saved a goal last night and has some chemistry with Gordon and Hendricks. We could sign him cheap.

No problem with the way he is playing right now.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Since Jones stuck up for Eakins and called out his teammates.....they've played their best back-to-back games of the season.

Just saying...

I expect his value in the locker room is exponentially greater than his on-ice value.

He's a plug who thrives on chaos, but isn't particularly skilled at O or D.

If he's that important to the locker room, keep him around, but certainly he is replaceable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad