Has Ryan Jones earned himself an extension?

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
Ryan is clearly fighting for another NHL contract at this point. I think if he can keep up the physical play and continue to be a contributing energy player, he could be worth a small 2 year deal. I like this Ryan Jones a lot.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Pitlick is probably already a better player.

Which isn't saying a lot.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Jones still isn't close to the player he was before the eye injury.

Definitely not a two-year deal. Maybe give him a year, but definitely for less than the $1.5M he's making now.

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
At the very least he's increased his trade value a little.

I'd like to see him se-sign another one year deal to play on the 4th line RW though. As mentioned above, he and Hendricks would look together on the 4th with a decent centre.

Ranford

Aug 14, 2007
Red Deer
I don't think there is a guy in the league that works harder at accomplishing nothing.

A for effort, F for results

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I don't think there is a guy in the league that works harder at accomplishing nothing.

A for effort, F for results

Let's be honest, it just looks like he's trying hard because he falls down a lot.

Captain Catatomic

SuprstitionCondition
Jun 25, 2013
I keep him over joensuu, better player, and way better in the room with the guys. Look how bad the team did when he got sent down at the start of the year.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
He's not getting results now, but he was effective for the two years previous to the injury.

18g 7a 25pts
17g 16a 33pts

He seems to be finding his game again, I'd give him another year at the right price.

Exactly. I'd like him back.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He's not getting results now, but he was effective for the two years previous to the injury.

18g 7a 25pts
17g 16a 33pts

He seems to be finding his game again, I'd give him another year at the right price.

And then he stopped getting fluke goals from behind the goal line.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
This is my fear with Jones... or any guy playing for a contract. He was on his last legs the previous season, because he just wasn't consistently bringing the hitting, the forechecking, etc. Now that his livelihood is on the line, he is. So if they sign him and he falls back to the same inconsistent routine, well... then you've signed him on board for another 1-2 seasons. If he plays like he did tonight for 75% of the season, I'd sign him. But if he cruises along like he was last season and beginning of this one, what's the point?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Jones doesnt have the skill but hes giving 100% every game. He clearly knows hes a bubble player in this league and wants a contract.

If every player on this team played like Jones is currently playing this WOULD be the bubble playoff team everyone was predicting.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If he plays like this, yes. It was nice to see him live tonight. He does a great job being vocal out there, and trying to get everyone in position in our end

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
And he also stopped getting breakaways every 2nd game like he was…

I'm curious to see if he can build on this and keep it going.

True, he finally stopped flying the d zone 5 seconds too early.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Really hoping Hartikainen comes back and usurps his role without any struggle.

Love the guy, but this team needs better hockey players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He is playing his butt off, but his wife just gave birth to their first child, and I hate to say it but he may be playing with a fire under his rear end to get himself another NHL contract at least.

And good for him, I hope he succeeds, but we have to be mindful of that too, this level of effort may not last forever. Lets see where he's at at game 75 or so. Pitlick needs to be given another extended look here too.

If you can find someone bigger to fill his role, I would tend to lean that way, but if you can't, then I wouldn't have a problem bringing him back as a 12th/13th forward on a 1 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad