Has Ryan Jones earned himself an extension?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
my vote is to keep him, replace joensu with pitlick

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have absolutely love watching Jones, Matt, and Gordon as our third line.

I've described them as a real hockey line. They can all shoot, pass, and skate at an NHL level. They all give 100% every night. They can dump it in an retrieve it at will it seems like. They back check hard. None of them are stars but all are valid NHL hockey players.

Unless we can get a clear cut upgrade on Jones I think the Oilers will end up signing him again for another season or two. Its a damn shame Jones doesn't have his scoring touch back. He is a no brainer to resign if he starts scoring again.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

I've described them as a real hockey line. They can all shoot, pass, and skate at an NHL level. They all give 100% every night. They can dump it in an retrieve it at will it seems like. They back check hard. None of them are stars but all are valid NHL hockey players.

Unless we can get a clear cut upgrade on Jones I think the Oilers will end up signing him again for another season or two. Its a damn shame Jones doesn't have his scoring touch back. He is a no brainer to resign if he starts scoring again.
#wagonline

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013

The sad reality is that on a real NHL team that would be a solid 4th line, not a 3rd. But agreed they have been working very well together so far though and are probably the best option we have right now.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Offer him a very cheap vet minimum, if he can get more good luck and see ya. He's been part of the group we have been trying to replace for ages and is playing really well now (amazing what a stint in the minors can do for you).

If we can get a guy who is bigger, tougher and has the same ability to chip in with a goal here and there we take the bigger guy.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
His recent play should be opening the possibilities. He really needs to finish the rest of the season playing this determined and prove his play with some consistency over the last 30 games.

If he can continue to thrive with Hendricks and Gordon during that time then it might be in our best interest to bring him back.

Room should not have to be cleared for guys like Pitlick. They need to outplay more established guys to earn their spot on this team.

Zoombie

Oct 28, 2011
The guy plays hard every night, is reasonably physical, and has great hair.
IMO he is the type of player Oilers should be looking for, not one they should be looking to ship out.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Jones is a nice guy who seems to up his game when another guy comes in that can replace him. Pass on the extension for me. I'd rather get another guy like Hendricks or better. Jones isn't a guy you need to worry about signing until August. Try everything else first.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Ryan is clearly fighting for another NHL contract at this point. I think if he can keep up the physical play and continue to be a contributing energy player, he could be worth a small 2 year deal. I like this Ryan Jones a lot.

Never. I think he should have been released in the summer.Contract negotiations heve always been difficult with him. He should be traded for 5-7 rounder. Maybe he is not worth of pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad